Thread: Rascal Runabout Build

Default Rascal Runabout Build

New to the forum and to boat building. I am a woodworker but wanted to change gears. I have seen some wooden boats and thought it would be something Iíd like to try to do. So after browsing plans I landed on Ken Bassetís Rascal Runabout Plans. Just wanted to say ďHeyĒ and introduce myself. I will be posting updates and Iím sure plenty of questions.
    I started Saturday milling material and built the keel and tonight I built frame #1.
    I have decided to make all the frame work of Mahogany as thatís what I have.

I have not permanently assembled anything yet as I want the ability to throw this thing in reverse if I need to. I do have my first question though. I see that some folks have epoxy coated parts before assembling the frame. Is it acceptable to epoxy coat fame pieces, especially where they join each other and then epoxy them together after first coat is dry? Will this create a weak joint. These particular frame members are joined with lap joints.
    Thank,
    Dominic
    Severn, MD

Default Rascal Runabout Build

The rascal is a great design. Personally I would not seal coat everything first. I do not see it making a huge difference. I coated the interior mine with cpes and quality paint after it was assembled and the inside looks as good as the day it was painted originally.

The boat stays nearly completely dry inside. Installed a bulge pump that has never been used and never bothered with installing drain plugs.

Ken was helpful when I had questions during the built but most of it was pretty straightforward.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Default Re: Rascal Runabout Build

Quote Originally Posted by ddefino View Post

Is it acceptable to epoxy coat fame pieces, especially where they join each other and then epoxy them together after first coat is dry? Will this create a weak joint.
    Sometimes it is desirable to seal boat parts before assembly, especially if you're going to finish them bright. Epoxy coated parts generally need a vigorous sanding through the grades to achieve a surface suitable for varnish. I've built boats where sanding after assembly would have been just about impossible due to restrictive spacing of the parts. That said you should be aware of amine blush contaminating surfaces that will later bonded, such as a lap joint. It will need to be thoroughly removed to insure the integrity of the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    I've built boats where sanding after assembly would have been just about impossible due to restrictive spacing of the parts. That said you should be aware of amine blush contaminating surfaces that will later bonded, such as a lap joint. It will need to be thoroughly removed to insure the integrity of the joint.
    Thanks for the response. Thatís what I was hoping to do was to prefinish as much as possible. Iím invested in taking the time to do this right. I want the interior to be finished clear and Iím a pretty big guy, the last thing I want to do is get stuck in the hull trying to coat the interior.

Dominic

I didn’t epoxy coat the frames before assembly. You could assemble the frames with epoxy and screws, as the plans call for, and then coat the entire frames. Once the frames are in place you will be cutting notches for the battens, sheer, chines, etc.

Good luck. Post some pics as you go.

Dave

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was hoping to do was to prefinish as much as possible. I’m invested in taking the time to do this right. I want the interior to be finished clear and I’m a pretty big guy, the last thing I want to do is get stuck in the hull trying to coat the interior.

Dominic
    You will see very little of the actual framing of the boat when it is complete. I did do most of the finishing prior to putting the deck on, but once the cockpit ceiling, floor and seat is in, there is no interior framing visible. Anything visible on mine is finished bright.
    boat3.jpgboat4.jpgboat6.jpg
    Tom

Tom,
    That’s a beautiful boat. Hopefully mine will look half as good as that. One question. I’m concerned about the amount of room under the dash. I have already thought about installing a wooden cowl rather than a windshield just to be able to get the dash height up. Is the photo deceiving or is it tight. I’m 6’8”. This has been my only real concern about choosing this design.

Dominic

Tom,
    That’s a beautiful boat. Hopefully mine will look half as good as that. One question. I’m concerned about the amount of room under the dash. I have already thought about installing a wooden cowl rather than a windshield just to be able to get the dash height up. Is the photo deceiving or is it tight. I’m 6’8”. This has been my only real concern about choosing this design.

Dominic
    Thanks Dominic.

I have plenty of legroom but it's definitely a small boat. It's not a lot of fun getting under there for any kind of work and I'm 6'. I like the look of a cowl better and you could probably pick up some space that way. I didn't decide on the cowl until well after the dash was done so options were limited but I'd consider doing it differently if I built again. If I were you I'd also stretch it out to 17' or so which I think you can do safely just by increasing the space between frames. I know they have been built longer than the plan.
    Tom