Thread: Sailing Qualities of a Lunenburg Dory?

Default Sailing Qualities of a Lunenburg Dory?

Well, I just sort of inherited a 26' Lunenburg Seine Dory. 'Wild Rose Chance' has been half decked with a little cabin, and has a ketch/yawl? rig.

I'm curious how the boat might sail. Any thoughts?

Here's the only photo I have of the boat rigged, and one of the same design without decks.

Rosie Afloat.jpgseine dory.jpg

Default Re: Sailing Qualities of a Lunenburg Dory?

How well it sails will depend on what you consider 'sailing well'. It will motivate along tolerably well with little fuss, sparing you the exertion of oars or the cost of fuel. It will not point very high, and will have considerable leeway, but that is all pretty normal for old traditional workboats. Don't challenge any modern sloops to race for beers and you will be fine. The other idiosyncrasy of dories are that they slap their bottom when sailing into short steep waves. This is uncomfortable and noisy, so you will learn to bear off a bit and do more tacks. Playing with sail arrangement while underway will be a pleasant learning experience. Have fun with it.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Sailing performance means different things to different people. One person ideas of performance might be to get from A-to B with as few tacks as possible and maximum speed, to another a idea of a perfect day might be to do the same jorney with as many tacks as required even if it takes hours-days more! If you are happy being afloat and heading roghly in the direction you want to travel, then perhaps you wont be dissapointed. Better yet, get out there and let us know what you think. At the end of the day, its a sailing dory, its not fair to compare it to anything other than another sailing dory of similar size.

I had a 19' dory, yawl rigged with a sprit main and balance jib. She was beamy with plenty of rocker and a tiny rudder. No racer by any standard. I had lots of fun and adventure with her. I think Bolger described one of his sharpies as a "good boat for someone who worked with her eccentricities". Take your time, be careful and enjoy the fact that you have an interesting and historic style of boat.