Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: The House Of The Golden Balls

Default Re: The House Of The Golden Balls

These hang in the main boat shop already but the small shop has to wait for the ceiling to go in.

Nice Jay! Rejuvenation tends to be a bit piratical, but in Portland the demand allows it, so hats off to 'em I guess. My plans are a bit more modest with the house being a 1930s farmhouse that was built primarily from scrap lumber. We added a major extension a few years ago and are finally getting around to re-doing the original farmhouse which has 4" cedar poles for rafters. The whole roof, porch and end wall will be coming of this summer with a new roof, duly framed with 2X12s, 2 dormers and a wrap around porch that will tie in with the rear deck. Gonna be a busy summer. It'll be fall before we're ready for the woodstove, but I want to get started on things now to avoid the possibility of lead time issues. We're also replacing the perimeter part of the existing post and beam (on cedar logs) foundation with a continuous footing and foundation wall with seismic strapping.

No rush! We've been working on ours for thirty years!
    Jay

These lights, that hang over the boat, are stock from Seattle lighting. Hanging them was a study in not dropping anything on "Red Witch"!
    A dropped pair of long nose pliers can ruin your day for sure!

The safety rail around "Red Witch" is removable just as are the side rails in a stake truck. So, any section or all of them can be easily removed by just knocking out the retaining trunnels and lifting the section up and out. I left the lower rail out in order to be able to pass tools and other items across at a low level. But, I suppose the building inspector will have a bit to say about the space left open.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The safety rail around "Red Witch" is removable just as are the side rails in a stake truck. So, any section or all of them can be easily removed by just knocking out the retaining trunnels and lifting the section up and out. I left the lower rail out in order to be able to pass tools and other items across at a low level. But, I suppose the building inspector will have a bit to say about the space left open.
    Jay
    One would hope that residential restrictions wouldn't apply to a shop, but arguing with inspectors is a game of Calvinball that you will never win. If the inspectors 4" ball will fit between or under the rails, you loose. I'd wait and see if he complains.

http://www.wagnercompanies.com/osha-...-requirements/
    Last edited by MN Dave; 02-18-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I am happy with it the way it is but there is always the code that must be satisfied if the question arises during the final inspection. Every thing else is to code with the exception of that tool kit and msc. items passing space at the bottom of the rail. Thanks for the info Dave!
    Jay

Here you can just see the bottom brackets we made up for the drop in railing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    The main building of the shop is not heated in order to allow the boats to remain balanced in moisture content. However, working in the cold all day long calls for a bit of warmth. As a result the area I call the "Warm Shop" is heated. The first stove, a Nashua, was made of an old steel drum turned on its side. I added a steel water heater drum around it and but a small biscuit fan on the back to spread heat. It worked pretty well but was a real smoker every time the door was opened for loading in more wood. So, I decided to go green and add a catalized stove, a Vermont Castings Encore. This stove is rated by the EPA as being the cleanest burning wood stove available in the US. The catalyst super heats the recycled smoke and burns up all of the particulate so that nothing toxic, including smoke, is expelled up the stack. This is one very good stove!
    I really swear by this addition to the shop as it is easy to regulate and does not have the nasty habit of puffing smoke back into the room through the vent! Here is the old one.
    Jay
    what about the CO2(Greenhouse gas) in reference to the Vermont Castings "Encore"

Jay, please pardon the thread drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by donsmarine View Post
    what about the CO2(Greenhouse gas) in reference to the Vermont Castings "Encore"
    A wood stove is carbon neutral. All of the carbon released has been removed from the atmosphere by the tree. Trees don't normally have direct access to fossil fuel.

EDIT: Good grief you can twist anything.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ral-180968880/
    Last edited by MN Dave; 02-19-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

nice woodwork,nice shop, nice stove

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Jay, please pardon the thread drift.A wood stove is carbon neutral. All of the carbon released has been removed from the atmosphere by the tree. Trees don't normally have direct access to fossil fuel.
    From what I read that is incorrect