Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The House Of The Golden Balls

Default Re: The House Of The Golden Balls

You've got a beautiful house there, Jay. And I'm sure you are taking all the best steps you know to assure it's longevity. But always remember that a house isn't a boat. They weather wind and water differently for obvious reasons. Water ingress into a building envelope is best handled through the use of proper flashing. No goop of any kind is better.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. The house is kind of like being married to a beautiful woman. She needs to be appreciated and well taken care of! Other wise, life can be less than wonderful!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-11-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    You've got a beautiful house there, Jay. And I'm sure you are taking all the best steps you know to assure it's longevity. But always remember that a house isn't a boat. They weather wind and water differently for obvious reasons. Water ingress into a building envelope is best handled through the use of proper flashing. No goop of any kind is better.

Jeff
    I will have to agree with the first four points. But the last two apply to conventional construction where there are rarely if ever any vertical seams other than the many butt joints in the siding. The vertical siding joints should have flashing behind them. {image} I have yet to see it used, let alone having used it myself, but always wondered why not. As for goop, flat roofs and ice dam membranes arguably depend on goop, but aside from that, no goop is good goop.

The cantilever deck was built as I thought it must be, which is why I asked about sealing. You can't really flash those joints easily.

I have added a second story to a house while living in it, so leaks with an incomplete roof were a major consideration. I'm not a contractor, just an over ambitious remodeller.

Joe?
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Joe, Thank you for your comments.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post

The cantilever deck was built as I thought it must be, which is why I asked about sealing. You can't really flash those joints easily.

I have added a second story to a house while living in it, so leaks with an incomplete roof were a major consideration. I'm not a contractor, just an over ambitious remodeller.
    The building trades nowadays have available to them many materials that make tasks not only easier but better. Flashing products are a case in point. For those cantilevered joists the use of elastomeric tape (Vycor) behind a properly situated saddle flashing will go a long way toward directing water away. Here is a link to one manufacturer found via a quick google search: https://eco-buildingproducts.com/pro...v=7516fd43adaa

Jeff

I do agree that flashing can be a very effective way do direct water away from a junction or seam that would be prone to leaking water or air and pest intrusion. Other areas of the building are flashed. Actually the porch floor/deck is designed to drain from the inner to the outer outer edge which it does very well. No water intrusion has gotten through the siding at the joist piercings since it was built some eight years ago. The cost of driving a bit of caulking and paying off the seams was an added insurance against leakage.

We experienced a construction delay because of my health problems stemming from a fast trip down a flight of stairs the required a bit of back surgery to correct the damage. This has been a forced vacation on my part.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-13-2018 at 01:56 PM.