Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: The House Of The Golden Balls

Default Re: The House Of The Golden Balls

I dunno about you, but I'd be inclined to keep the slanted ceiling surface painted to feature the grain of the wood. To me, you can get too much T&G, especially if it changes direction. I did the upstairs in our old house (now our youngest daughter's) in kind of the reverse: drywall stub walls and horizontal T&G on the slanted ceiling. Where we put in skylights we kept the T&G in the wells, but changed the direction and I always thought it clashed. My wife and kids liked it fine, but I was never quite happy with it.

Thanks Hugh! I am glad that you feel that way! That is the reason I left the car siding off of it. But I am not all that pleased with the glossy color of the ceiling and may change it to a flat version of what is in there right now.
    Jay

A knockdown ceiling finish might look nice in that room. We've done them where the ceilings are painted like yours and then a light knockdown finish is applied. The matte finish of the mud should tone down the gloss and if you don't like the combination of colour you could paint the works with flat paint, which also looks fine, imho.

Great house by the way, seems to suit the character I imagine for you folks! / Jim

Yup. I'm not a gloss guy except in very specialized places (like some boats...cars...bikes & stuff For some reason gloss in houses looks "loud". Can't explain it any better than that.

Chas, I am not familiar with the term"Knock Down Finish". I am guessing it might be a flatting solution that is added to the paint? I am just not fully comfortable with the finish due to the shine it has. Once I make up the Victorian door and window trim I think it will take on a different look but, to me this looks abrupt! Since the T&G will be a flat cream color maybe that color should extend up on the slanted portions leaving just the rectangle of the ceiling in that tan color if I flat it out? Of course there is a base shoe that trims out the planked floor as well. I am planning to put the Tiny Tot stove just to the left of the door seen here. The room is small enough to heat with it.
    Thanks guys,
    Jay

Sometimes doing a repair to match shows the skills required best. Try this video Jay. This is a heavier knockdown than I like,and especially if your ceiling has been painted as yours. The ones I've seen were done with a concrete finishing trowel; I think the skill in it is mixing the mud correctly. / Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PrR69KUsIo

Thanks Chas! I am going to get the T&G installed and painted and then see how it looks. I do think I will use flat paint on the ceiling once I see how it looks with the car siding painted in its planned contrasting color. I appreciate your input!
    Jay

Another shot of the drawers under the warm shop stairs. I store fasteners in these as they are easy to get to and don't clutter up other areas.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 03-17-2019 at 12:24 PM.

I really do like those. I may have to do something similar in my shop....in my copious spare time

This bench is in the unheated portion of the shop, where wood and boats are stored. I like to have the boats remain in natural humidity rather than drying out which can cause problems after launching. Here the bench has drawers removed and moved into the heated shop for the winter in order to protect them from rust.
    Jay

I worry a little bit, Jay. That shop is entirely too clean!

Are you a south paw Jay? I ask because your vise is on the right side of the bench and not the left as is customary for right handers. Or were there other considerations that came into play such as that you needed space for stock to chop with that saw on the right side?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Yes Sailor, I am better with my left hand than with the right but I can make mistakes with either!
    Incidentally, the drawers in that bench are made of poplar which is nice to work and not too spendy. It has a close grain and is medium in density. I find it to be a great wood for shop cabinetry as it only needs a coat of wax for a finish.

The knobs are made from Black Walnut that came from a tree in Mariposa CA where the old stage coach stoped. It was called "The Hanging Tree" because a few cattle rustlers met their doom there. There were a lot of squre nails in it which were from the old "Wanted" posters. The tree was over a hundred and fifty years old but died when hiway construction damaged the roots. My friend Michael Hubert owned the property that it stood on but the state took a portion of his land for the road. Mike furnished his entire house with beautiful furniture he made the wood from that old tree.

I made a pattern based on Shaker drawer pulls. I find them to be very comfortable as they fit nicely between the index and middle fingers and allow a natural grip that is very efficient. I made then using my metal lathe as chucking the stem was easy in the three jawed chuck. The lathe is a sixty year old six inch Atlas that I have in one corner of my shop. If any of you are interested I will post the pattern for the knobs.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 03-17-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I worry a little bit, Jay. That shop is entirely too clean!
    That is true but, it is only because the building is not finished yet. When I finish and turn to working on the boat I will post a picture of the messes I am capable of making.
    How about this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    If any of you are interested I will post the pattern for the knobs.
    Jay
    Perhaps the list of those not interested is shorter?
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Ok, I will dig it out today.
    Jay