Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Thinking about buying a Thistle (woodie?)

Default Re: Thinking about buying a Thistle (woodie?)

I received my set of plans as well, but I have a computer build on the bench and haven't opened them up yet. I'm not planning on building one, but it will be neat to see the drawings.

I'm not a boat designer by any stretch, but I have a feeling some of the magic of the Thistle comes from what Sandy said here:

“Now we come to the lines, the actual shape of the hull. With the greater length
    and beam we find that the displacement has come up rapidly so that we can ease
    the lines quite a bit as compared with the International 14 which has to be pretty
    chunky. Then a compromise. We want firm bilges to give stability, but if they are
    too firm she will have too much wetted surface, which will make her sluggish and
    sticky in light weather. Suppose we see what happens if we put the fullness of the
    bilge just above the waterline. This cuts down the wetted surface greatly, yet the
    power is there as soon as she heels a little and the big bilge sinks into the water.
    She may seem a little tender at the dock, but once underway she will stiffen like a
    house."

This might be why she is so slippery in light airs and still feels a bit tender when single-handed. With one aboard there might not be enough ballast to settle on the bilges.

OK - I just heard back from the Chris Pollak, the Chief Measurer for the Thistle Class Association. He said the Class fully considered some years ago the question of whether the Class would approve and certify Thistles that were built using the cold molded process. And the Class decided against approving any such thing.

So I am approaching my Thistle lofting project as an academic exercise. But I may still want to build a Thistle clone because I would like to have a boat that would look like a Thistle. Plus, having a boat project going during Vermont Winters keeps me out of trouble . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Seibert View Post
    OK - I just heard back from the Chris Pollak, the Chief Measurer for the Thistle Class Association. He said the Class fully considered some years ago the question of whether the Class would approve and certify Thistles that were built using the cold molded process. And the Class decided against approving any such thing.

So I am approaching my Thistle lofting project as an academic exercise. But I may still want to build a Thistle clone because I would like to have a boat that would look like a Thistle. Plus, having a boat project going during Vermont Winters keeps me out of trouble . . .
    Seems like there's an opportunity there. Since what you build won't be a Thistle, you can rig it to suit your needs, rather than to win races. Make it a lug yawl, and feel not guilt about it, for example. Maybe call it a Douglas Yole.

If you decide to, at least raise the boom. It is too low for a comfortable day sailer. I would like it better with a self bailing cockpit as well.

Greetings from the North Pole, where it was -7 at 8 am.

Yesterday, on my Rhino CAD, I lofted the Thistle to the original offsets with no fairing. According to Rhino, the down-the-middle hull is less than 1/32" from being completely fair. Kudos to Sandy Douglass and his team - pretty darn impressive.

A major knock on the Thistle is that it becomes very uncomfortable hiking on its narrow rails, which, I think, are about 4" wide. I was wondering what Thistle owners may have done to address that problem for daysailing? Or if anyone has any ideas?

Mike

Setting on the rails has never bothered me. That said, I use padded sailing shorts.

A major knock on the Thistle is that it becomes very uncomfortable hiking on its narrow rails, which, I think, are about 4" wide. I was wondering what Thistle owners may have done to address that problem for daysailing? Or if anyone has any ideas?
    Mike
    Sitting on the rails isn't too bad until you start hiking hard. At that point, the rest of you is hurting so bad that you don't notice the rails cutting off the circulation in the back of your thighs.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Just shove a couple of extra battens down your shorts

Kinda whan Alan said. When I was racing then hard we made up padded "hiking shorts". The bowman had the worst situation as we used "mini hike" straps that basically put the back of your knees on the rail so you could get outboard farther. Painful, but developed some gonza abs that my wifey liked