Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if Republicans win the House?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: What if Republicans win the House?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Relax, Norman. You're going to be just fine.
    Unless of course you have a pre-existing condition and need healthcare. Then you'll be sick and broke.
    Or if you have brown skin, then you'll have the institutions of the USA and bubba, and his brother bubba (and their well armed sister bubba), against you.

But if you are a white male aged between 35 and 75 - you'll probably be alright.
    As long as its not important for you to live in a harmonious country that respects all of its citizens.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    If Republicans hold the House, little will change.

A few things will get through, but there is no single Republican consensus. Congress actually opposes more than supports President Trump's agenda. They'll probably do another tax cut, and pass some deregulation bills. But noth much else of substance. They've already proven to be deadlocked on the Wall, immigration law charges, health care law changes, infrastructure, Afghanistand and Iraq, and there's skepticism on trade. They are angry activists and pseudo-revolutionaries, more than a governing party.

Judges will be confirmed and Stern Words will be Spoken about Obstructionist Democrats by Real Conservatives!

Trump will think he can fire Sessions and stop the Mueller investigation with impunity, which will make the base of both parties a little more polarized.

Even if Mueller is stopped, a half dozen lawsuits underway will land on his plate from sexual harrassment to emoluments. At some point his tax returns will emerge and they will be shameful and document unethical if not illegal acts.

Whatever happens between 2018 and 2020 will be entirely on President Trump. Of course he'll claim credit for all good and blame others for all bad in his typical bully/snowflake duality.
    Thats a bit balanced.
    Isn't this a hyperbole thread?
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."

You're going to be just fine, gypsie!

You're going to be just fine, gypsie!
    I know, I have free healthcare and live with very strict gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Unless of course you have a pre-existing condition and need healthcare. Then you'll be sick and broke.
    We have treated many people like that in the past: Those on Medicaid and there was no outrage. I even suggested to several people in Congress that perhaps simply raising the income and asset limits for qualifying was a more reasonable solution.

But, in general, laws are made to benefit those in the top 20%.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I have been here long enough and read enough threads that I don't think any of the regulars would murder anybody or even joke of it. Liberal or Conservative, the Regulars here have a pretty good grip on what is right and wrong.

Evidently some people aren't as informed or have as much "grip" on right or wrong as they think. Here's a cut and paste from the link I first provided...#8
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Default Re: Oligarchy: just a reminder
    Just in case dbrown's question is not just a bit of sarcastic rhetoric.

No.

We either vote these miserable pirates out and turn this shirt around the right way, or we get rid of the individuals who comprise the group that does get their interests heard and their needs met, according to democratic principles. We need to put bullets in the heads of select one percenters and then see which way the rest of them vote.

Figuratively? Rhetorically?

Are political assassinations more or less evil than having generations of citizens living in oppressive conditions by the hundreds of millions.

It is not simple hyperbole to state that ALL of the misery suffered by Americans in the U.S. is caused by micro-organisms and the individuals that hold most of the money, the rich mentioned in the article in the OP.

Personally all they are doing is maximizing their investments and securing the American dream for themselves. Personally, they are just having a burger and a shake and watching the game. In reality, they set the price and availability of all the burgers and all the shakes and all the games. ALL of the ills suffered by Americans in the U.S. are caused directly by those guilty fux. Shiny, skinny, good looking, well educated, not dark. They generously provide opportunity in providing limited employment, limited education, limited burgers and shakes and games. Everything is terribly expensive specifically because they manipulate everything to maintain control.

They run and own the MIC, the media, the schools, the hospitals, the pharmaceuticals, the auto, computer, elecronics, entertainment, agriculture, industries, companies and inventories and futures. They are the ones who decide which countries to 'stabilize,' with shipments of arms, which 'strong man' to sit in the big chair in those countries.They decide everything that has anything at all to do with money, their money, your money, everyone's money, everyone's land, everyone's future.

They will let people die by the millions to make their profit. They will happily sponsor media specifically programmed and tailored to ensure the gross stupidity and fervent righteous ignorance of The Base. They ensure that we will always have the deplorables, and that they will be always be especially deplorable.

Who is more evil? The rich gits who maintain this cruel oppression that most of us regard as water to a fish, or the patriot that puts a bullet in a head of one of them. It isn't that they should all be summarily killed the way an honorable soldier would kill an enemy of the country during war. It is that they need to heed the only call that will sway them from their evil.

When one gets shot and makes the news and gets the usual and typical public response, it will not make a difference, barely a ripple in business as usual. But when the fifth one goes down, there will be a advisors telling the richies to hunker down and hire more mercenaries, harden the personal estates and business places.

What happens after that?

What could go wrong?

Which side are you on?

What will you do when the news is full of election coverage and assinassinations?

What do rational sober folks think about all of it?

And, while we're on the subject, it is not just a swing of the old pendulum, and Acton's dicked'em is just a long bumper sticker homily.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 10-26-2018 at 07:16 AM.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.
    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
    10-26-2018, 07:35 AM #9
    Last edited by BillP; 11-06-2018 at 09:37 AM.

It's funny watching these silly old white liberals, privileged and relatively wealthy, endlessly styling themselves as some sort of "resistance." What a joke.

They couldn't be more representative of the establishment.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

It's funny watching these silly old white liberals, privileged and relatively wealthy, endlessly styling themselves as some sort of "resistance." What a joke.

I fancy myself a denizen of establishment conservativism.

How would you characterize yourself?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Gee, I didn't know YOU were privy to my tax returns SB!

To the OP question, you will likely know soon enough.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Then I am going to dust off my old dual Italian-American citizenship paperwork and push it forward.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Then I am going to dust off my old dual Italian-American citizenship paperwork and push it forward.
    Incompleteness got us into this mess. Let’s finish what we start.

Is it far better to become a new citizen of a former fascist country than hope to change the minds of people who would want to try it for a while? I too am working on my dual citizenship just because I could see myself being roomies with you in Florence or up near the lake country.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Will the EU welcome American refugees?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I fancy myself a denizen of establishment conservativism.

How would you characterize yourself?
    May I presume an answer in his stead?

Well, I shouldn't really. Sky's reply will be so much more sincere. If, that is, he answers. I know he's here. His light is on. As it usually is when I check in! Maybe he can tell us who he is apart from being a regular guy who doesn't mind insulting you but still would have a beer with you. So let's have a beer and an answer. Answer first, then maybe the beer.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Uh, no kidding.

Your hero is a fascist dictator wannabe, and you try to ridicule those who resist his vandalism, his destruction of the Constitution, for being part of the establishment.

That thing between your ears has begun to stink.
    Rattling the teacups.

I don't recall ever insulting you, Lew. I've always been polite. Indeed, in my last interaction with you I was kind and said nice things. That's always been the case.

You can't really say the same though. True?

I don't recall ever insulting you, Lew. I've always been polite. Indeed, in my last interaction with you I was kind and said nice things. That's always been the case.

You can't really say the same though. True?
    '
    I can say the same! I always measure my words so if I'm insulting, it's intended and to a purpose. It doesn't mean I wouldn't have a beer with you. And yes, that last interlude about the bridge was pleasant.

But you don't always reply to me so I assume either you haven't read me (which given the time you spend here as a middle aged white man with politics on his mind seems unlikely) or you have chosen to ignore me. I've observed the same in your repartee with others. I think it's a device intentional or otherwise.

In which case one is left with either letting it go or trying to create a conversation. So if we have your attention, how do you see yourself if not as a MAWGWAATG. Don't look that up....I'll explain later .
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I tend to ignore those that say insulting things to me or engage in stalking. Most here don't do these things.

It's later enough.

' Middle Aged White Guy With An Ax To Grind.'

I would have added WTOOH* but that seemed a step over the line. MAWGWAATGWTOOH

*With Time On His Hands

It's not insulting to be asked how you view yourself after you characterize your repartee partners as old white men with nothing to do except get it wrong here. Not that you don't have lots of company here as surely you do.

So why ignore that?

Especially when you come across as a MAOWG with time. And spend a hunk of it here. You don't see this as a curiosity?

Well Cris, we're left guessing by the mystery man that is Sky Blue.

I'm actually working, Lew. I think you'd be surprised at how much I work. Get together with Cris and Ted in Paris in April and I'll host the bar.

Has Teagan Goddard pulled her head out of her arse yet?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    May I presume an answer in his stead?

Well, I shouldn't really. Sky's reply will be so much more sincere. If, that is, he answers. I know he's here. His light is on. As it usually is when I check in! Maybe he can tell us who he is apart from being a regular guy who doesn't mind insulting you but still would have a beer with you. So let's have a beer and an answer. Answer first, then maybe the beer.
    I am so glad I don't drink beer...