Thread: New boat build in Greece

Default New boat build in Greece

Hello fellow enthusiasts. Several years ago I built a 176-inch-long sailboat of my own design in Ohio, as detailed in my blog: http://176inches.blogspot.com. I was dissuaded by some of you from getting rid of Aerie when I moved to Sacramento, CA after retirement, and I have hardly used her in two and a half years, although she is still in fine shape and performs well.

Meanwhile I spend 4-5 months a year on my ancestral island in Greece. Shipping Aerie over was way too costly, and the importation bureaucracy too daunting, so I am building another, as yet unnamed boat. Similar design (176 inches long, plywood lapstrake, four strakes per side), with some modifications based on my experience with Aerie. It will have a small outboard and a single sprit sail for simplicity. Details on the same blog as above. I have completed the hull and will resume next spring.

Folks on the island here know nothing of epoxy and marine ply building, and most tut-tut about the use of 6mm ply. I keep saying this is my third boat build and I know what I'm doing, to widespread skepticism. Interestingly, the two carpenters I know were impressed and want to learn from me. But somehow, and sadly, boatbuilding has leapfrogged from traditional timber carvel-building to "plastic" (mainly polyester and resin).

Here's a few questions:
    1. Is there any point in reinforcing the garboard or the whole hull with fiberglass like everyone here expects me to? I know what Wooden Boat members think of fiberglass on a wooden boat, and of the problems of glassing over lapstrake, but I'd like some reassurance.
    2. What do I do to protect the keel, stem and skeg from rocks and sand? Is glassing them a good idea? Or should I use metal? Is aluminum strip shaped to a square u-shape (what I as a Greek would call pi-shape) a good idea? Bronze is unobtainable here.
    3. Is a 5 hp outboard overkill? Or insufficient? The boat will be sailed in the Mediterranean for beach hopping around a single island, with no blue-water crossings. There will be oars too. I've never owned a motor but since I'll be sailing in the sea I will get one.

Any other comments or questions welcome.

Default Re: New boat build in Greece

Probably glassing the garboards against abrasion and fitting bilge runners would help. I have a slightly longer boat with 4 strakes a side. Not glassed but several coats of epoxy on 6mm ply.
    The runners and keel have stainless strip screwed to them. Can you get that?
    I use a 3.5hp motor and find it enough to reach hull speed on a bit over half throttle.
    A2

Thanks for the advice, although I don't know if I'll go with bilge runners.
    Just spoke to the local metals purveyor and they can get stainless steel strip.

A light cloth on the bottom can certainly help with abrasion and stiffen a 6mm bottom. I use a 2.5hp outboard on boats up to 17ft without a problem, though i do not try to power into gale force winds. Nice looking boat. Not sure if you get trapped into following regulations-registration if using an engine?

Thank you. I intend to strengthen the bottom with stringers. I will not be out in gale force winds, not if I can help it! As for regulations, AFAIK a small boat with a small engine is easier to register than a pure sailboat, which may require a skipper's license (nice income stream for the sailing schools). I'll find out more next year.

You can always glass the garboard off the boat before fitting it. As she has a fairly flat bottom you can also glass the second strake as well.
    Don't forget to bend the stem band before drilling it for screws in order to avoid kinking at the screw holes.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I've already built the hull, so I can't glass pieces off the boat. I guess I could glass the garboard and perhaps put on some glass tape on the seams? Or put on bilge runners instead? I think bilge runners would work with the stringers I intend to put down on the inside. I would prefer not to glass anyway if I can avoid it.

Glass the garboard and put a generous fillet of epoxy to cover the edge grain of the next plank. Or you could glue ojn a hardwood landlist.
    Like these

That is a good idea, thanks Nick.

My lapstrake canoe has a 6mm marine ply bottom. It has Fiberglass covering the bottom and garboards. This adds strength and abrasion resistance. The easiest way to install the glass would is to put it on before the broadstrakes are installed.

BTW, I love the Greek isles! I got married in Santorini and spent my honeymoon in Naxos.

Ralphie

Another question: Is stainless steel keelband absolutely necessary? Can I use some really strong hardwood instead? That way I can also use some as landlists to protect the garboard to 2nd strake seam.

Quote Originally Posted by 176inches View Post
    Another question: Is stainless steel keelband absolutely necessary? Can I use some really strong hardwood instead? That way I can also use some as landlists to protect the garboard to 2nd strake seam.
    Yes, look after it, don't drag it over concrete and it will last for years. The only tricky bit is protecting the turn of the forefoot where your keel shoe runs out.