Thread: Folkboat insurance

Default Folkboat insurance

Hi. I've (literally) just bought a Nordic Folkboat (wooden/1961). I'm covered during transit (boat is being towed to the yard), but I was a bit blase about getting insurance while she is stored at the yard for the next few months. The companies I've spoken to so far need a survey. Two questions: a) does anyone know of a UK company that won't need a survey for such an old boat? b) how dodgy is it to NOT have insurance while lying in the yard for a few weeks, assuming I definitely need to organise a survey in the meantime? It's basically just a field! Many thanks.

Default Re: Folkboat insurance

Only company i used was Pantanieus. Third party cover only up to a few million quid. No one else was interested in old wooden boats. No survey was required. Yards normally insist on it. How dodgy without? Depends on who it might fall on and kill, do you want to be on the end of a claim?

Give Yachtmaster a bell....

I have heard (but no experience) that canal boat insurers can also do 'laid up ashore'.

Thank you both for your help. I've just tried Yachtmaster and they'll do it with a very straightforward checklist done by the yard. Have been with Pantanieus before with a modern boat, I'll give them a bell and see hat they say. Yes, I must admit, killing someone was a concern! Thanks again.