Thread: Wooden boat things to see in Amsterdam?

Default Wooden boat things to see in Amsterdam?

Iíve got a few days in the area and wondered if anyone knows of cool wooden boat things to see around ĎDam...
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Wooden boat things to see in Amsterdam?

Short hop north to Enkhuisen for the Zuiderzee museum. Full of wooden boats. The Maritime Museum in Amsterdam is also a must but more about wooden ships.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I don't remember the exact location, but there were a whole row of sailing barges near a large museum. They were all privately owned, but it was fun walking the docks.

Last time we were in Amsterdam we really enjoyed an area in North Amsterdam, across the Ij from the central station. Back in the 80's this was the old shipyard area.

Stay on a old boat - https://www.asileflottant.com
    Great hang out - http://deceuvel.nl/en/cafe/cafe-home/

This is a small shipyard that they are repurposing and restoring the land. It is a bit of a walk from central station, take the free ferry across then and interesting walk through an old warehouse district.

Not Wooden Boat specific per se, but the National Maritime Museum is worth a look, go ahead and step aboard an Indiaman.

https://www.hetscheepvaartmuseum.nl
    Heute ist so ein schŲne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    Not Wooden Boat specific per se, but the National Maritime Museum is worth a look, go ahead and step aboard an Indiaman.

https://www.hetscheepvaartmuseum.nl
    Well worth a look.

SAM_2929.jpg

You could also spend a few hours wandering round the Rijksmuseum.There isn't a whole lot there that is exclusively devoted to wooden boats,but they do have a model of a warship that has the deck structure triangulated in a manner I had never seen before.I agree that the area around the former shipyard is worth a bit of your time and it doesn't cost anything to get there.The museum at Enkhuizen is still on my list of places to visit and I don't know too much about their opening hours once the summer is over.It isn't too hard to get to most parts of the Netherlands by train.I'm not sure how close the train gets you to the Batavia werft but it too can occupy some of your time.

All good suggestions - but one I'll add. The canal tourist boats, while not wood, run all day & save your ticket as you can use it for the whole day on any of them. Fun way to get around.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Get on a bus or bike. Head to the quaint canal and pancake hosue at Broek in Waterland.

Monnickendam has all the good things of Amsterdam (canals, brick houses, boats!) all on a smaller scale and with way less tourists.

The island of Marken has a tiny marina/harbor well worth seeing.

If you're there at the right time, they have an amazing festival called SAIL!

Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Fun story about the festival here:
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

I second the recommendation for Monnickendam and Hoorn is a pleasant town.You may find maintenance yards in either with traditional boats scattered around.A good walk round Amsterdam can take you to lots of interesting places as it isn't huge.It gave me a bit of a start to see a fellow on a stand up paddleboard casually making his way along a busy canal less than half a mile from Centraal station,quite oblivious to the tour boats passing by on either side.

Thanks again all! The Zuiderzeemuseum was fun but sadly the Ship Hall was closed. Still there were plenty of boats in the water to look at.

I only know of two large open-air museums in the Netherlands: the Zuiderzeemuseum and the big one in Arnhem. I mean the kind that take entire buildings from various locations. Very nice that I got to visit both when it wasn’t actively raining on this trip.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Wow, this is a fantastic thread! Iíve not had the opportunity to go to Amsterdam yet, but if I ever do, I will keep all of these in mind. There are so many cool things to see in the entire country that I didnít even think about the fact that there would be tons of wooden boats there! I think I speak for all of us living vicariously through your trip Ė please show us pics of the cool boats you see!

Quote Originally Posted by leomatthewadams View Post
    Wow, this is a fantastic thread! I’ve not had the opportunity to go to Amsterdam yet, but if I ever do, I will keep all of these in mind. There are so many cool things to see in the entire country that I didn’t even think about the fact that there would be tons of wooden boats there! I think I speak for all of us living vicariously through your trip – please show us pics of the cool boats you see!
    Here's a Facebook photo album of the Netherlands part of the trip with some boat pics -
    https://www.facebook.com/david.luckh...9263646&type=3