Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Cruising the Sands

Default Re: Cruising the Sands

The Baltic and the Waddenzee are very different: Waddenzee water is muddy compared to clear water Baltic.
    Lots of seals in Waddenzee. They are lying on sands close to deep channels at eb so they can quickly get away when danger comes and when water returns they are at the right spot for fishing. There is not much fish left in Waddenzee, so fishermen fish mainly shrimps.
    In Baltic many fishtraps, not in Waddenzee.
    The Waddenzee is used by migrating birds for fattening up.
    Big sharp Japanese Oysters in Waddenzee, don't know if you find them yet in Baltic.

The Baltic is very crowded, especially at the small islands south of the danish island Fyn. So we sail over there, when the season is over. There are many shallow harbours, perfect for our NIS. Our favorite is Drejö Gammelhavn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMG-20180531-WA0001 (1).jpg The 'Overwinning' after a winter refit: New laminated boom: Laminated makes it much stiffer, important for the owner who loves to race her at end of the season. And new leeboards made in Afzelia, a very dense and stable wood. Nowadays the metalwork is in stainless. 40 years ago they would have been made in oak with steel drifts out of concrete reinforcement bars. When the steel started rusting it kept the wooden parts together. It also limited the life of the leeboards ofcourse. The newer leeboards have proven their worth already in racing because they are shaped according to insight of Piet van Oossanen who does research on this kind of stuf at the university of Wageningen. He was also responsible for the keel that helped the Kiwis win the American Cup in the 80ties.( I saw a miniserie on those races and to see the video again: Can anybody help?) http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

The weekend with the 'Overwinning' with family&friends. Oldest son at the helm, next to my wife. Sailing charterboats often have a cockpit for the guests, it is safer for them and makes it easier for the crew to do their work. Here me and a friend playing Waldorf & Stattler.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif The map with our track on saturday. We go to Vlieland, west of Terschelling
    IMG-20180424-WA0059.jpg
    A walk on the island. To our left the Stortemelk, the entrance from the Northsea to the Waddenzee. Can be very scary.
    DSC_0069.jpg
    Sunday morning: My wife started a yoga class on the foredeck

Do the channels in the sands change much? In our estuary the river seems to be about to change sides again.

At present the channel nearest the town is 9 meters deep and the main one leaving almost no beach close to the town at high tide, and precious little at low. In the pic the main channel is across the river, this has been blocked for d=some years but is opening up again this season. The shallow cross channel is much wider at present.

They do change and about 3 years ago we sailed trough a channel that had opened up after being silted up for many years. We were beating to windward between breakers, spectectular sailing as we were in the Klipper Isis, big 2 master. It keeps the service that place the channelmarkers pretty busy.

We set the marks to our port by ourselfs every year after the winter and the channel moves every year.

The Inlet, Anderson's Inlet, used to be a port till about the mid 1920's when rail and road became available. At present there is no passable channel for keeled yachts over the bar, and shallow draft power boats often get into trouble in the breakers. There is no longer the rainfall to flush the sand out and a change in the prevailing winds blows sand off the point into the inlet now. The inlet runs more or less nth/sth.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 12-30-2018 at 02:54 PM.

DSC_0073.jpgEnd of morning yogaIMG-20180424-WA0074.jpg Greeeting the sunIMG-20180425-WA0001.jpg our return route to HarlingenIMG-20180806-WA0004 (1).jpgSometimes my son sends me pics from boats I might like Jolie Brise and a squarerigger leaving HarlingenIMG-20180806-WA0005 (1).jpg
    On this picture you can see the new outhaul on the boom. The duneema line goe forward to a winch so the draft can be changed easily.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif. (last pic in post)This brings the jibsheet farther out so it cooperates with the staysailDSC_0135.jpg Leeboard winch, 2 speed, also with dyneema which does not score the winchdrum like steel wire did.DSC_0139.jpg winch for the mainsail. 2 speed for throat and peak haliard and one for topping lift. Again dyneema.DSC_0119.jpg Mainsheet stil with blocks and musclepower. Helm allows for sensitive 'DSC_0142.jpgbutt-steering' ckear deck, used to be the cargo hatches, with new skylight, protected with stainless bars. See here also reefing line leading to selftailer on boom. Most skippers thought these winches too 'yachtie' but racing results changed their opinion.
    Last edited by FF; 12-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Boats and ships we met sailing from Vlieland to Harlingen.DSC_0049.jpgDSC_0050.jpgDSC_0151.jpgDSC_0157.jpgDSC_0087.jpg
    The sailing chartervleet consists mostly of old converted craft and is called 'De bruine vloot', (The brown vleet). There are about 500 of them in the country and Harlingen is for 70 the homeport

http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif Near Harlingenhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Last photo: This is where our boat has her summer berth: Near the railway station an dclose to the sea. One bridge to go throug, no lock.

How could I ´ve missed that thread?
    NICE!
    Made me think about going there with Long John Silver one day.
    Thumps up man!
    Happy New Year

thanks, Max, and I wish you a Happy New Year too

I am near the end of this thread by returning to Harlingen, I think. That is the port from which many interesting voyages start and end and I will make another trip the second wekend of april with family & friends. This time we invited several more so we charter the Klipper 'Isis', and will have a party of 22 to 25 people on board. That weekend the tide is not good for drying out so we will probably sail again to Vlieland or Terschelling, and go for walkies there or dig cockles, mussels and reap oysters. We will see. And thank you all for reading my post and contributing to the thread.

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.