Thread: Building a wooden boat and making money

Default Building a wooden boat and making money

Sampson Boat Co by Leo Goolden
    2,116 Patrons Earnings per Video $4K - $17K

https://graphtreon.com/creator/sampsonboatco

Acorn to Arabella 974 Patrons $4,895 per Video (not taking into account capped donations)

https://graphtreon.com/creator/acorntoarabella

What's your opinion on this trend.

Default Re: Building a wooden boat and making money

I'm happy for them. I wish the internet existed when I was actively building and repairing boats.

Good for them.

It's a whole lotta work just to be able do something interesting enough to get that kind of response on Youtube, and then you have to go out and do it. There's usually someone working full time producing the quality videos necessary, as you can't really film yourself and there just wouldn't be time enough if you could.

But, they are doing their own filming; Leo does his own editing and posting, which Alix used to do, now A to A has help with that. Like the work itself this takes time and attention to detail. Beyond me but wonderful. And, I don't think either is making money, they are making the projects possible.
    Last edited by Thad; 10-24-2019 at 09:09 AM.

It's no trend, it's a business model called "media enterprise". Building up a successfull one is hard work that has to be respected and has nothing to do with the content. It just happens the content is boatbuilding. There are a lot of boat related channels on youtube, very few make any money, even fewer can self suport themselfs from it and only a handfull turn a profit.
    You can think what you want about this people but they are successfull business owners in a highly competitive and modern field.

Sign me up!

Peace,
    Robert

Full disclosure, I am a patron of both these projects.

As if the process of building the boat isn't enough work, these guys are filming at the same time? That's like tripling the workload. There was a very brief period early in the building of Marianita when a local film maker expressed an interest in documenting her build. After two visits from him I'd had enough and closed the doors, it was way too disruptive of my thought/building process. More power to those who can make it work.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Separate from the money, which i'm sure is vital, it opens up access to volunteers, dontations of equipment, and expertise through awareness that they almost certainly wouldn't have as much of otherwise.

Same as any other small donation entertainment, it's pretty good for all concerned - builds a dedicated fan base who feel invested in the product, and allows that product to be made in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Full disclosure, I am a patron of both these projects.

As if the process of building the boat isn't enough work, these guys are filming at the same time? That's like tripling the workload. There was a very brief period early in the building of Marianita when a local film maker expressed an interest in documenting her build. After two visits from him I'd had enough and closed the doors, it was way too disruptive of my thought/building process. More power to those who can make it work.
    I couldn’t agree more with Stromborg here. And, I had no idea you could generate income from videos like this. I think I would be short changing my customers if I was starting and stopping to get a video just right.

It reminds me of when my kids were playing sports, I found I could either watch the game, or I could try to film it, no way to do both. Probably an indication of my limited brain power.

When I am in the shop I find even music in the background distracting, I am constantly double-checking my measurements and planning for the next step, etc. The only exception is when actually applying paint or varnish, the shop is quiet and some nice music makes the work flow.

There are folks cruising their boats making good money too. Hard work. Good on em.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

They are a video company, not a boat builder. Hope they pay the taxes on this for profit business.

D25D0BDE-4698-4D86-B857-633B66844B44.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    They are a video company, not a boat builder. Hope they pay the taxes on this for profit business.
    Do you worry about Amazon and Apple paying taxes, Ted?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Do you worry about Amazon and Apple paying taxes, Ted?

Tom
    Taxes build and pay for civilization Tom. You know that.

Taxes build and pay for civilization Tom. You know that.
    You're right, of course. That's why I happily pay them. I like roads, and mail, and libraries, and snowplows, etc. etc.

But something seems off when you target a small operation like this while ignoring the major players. And now, end rant! Sorry to bring a tinge of politics out of the bilge...

To redeem myself, an irrelevant (but at least boat-related image):

DSCN3250 (2).jpg

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

While I don't know all of the tax implications, I expect that costs to rebuild Tally Ho would be business expenses and would more than offset any revenue from patron donations, advertising, etc. They might owe a very small amount for B&O taxes but that's hardly worth considering in the overall picture of what they must be spending.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

I'm really surprised by some of the posts in this thread. These guys are not only building a cool boat, but taking the time to share it with the world.

$5K & people are thinking they're getting rich or something? My guess is that, after paying for equipment, that amount might make them about 10 cents an hour.

As said - how about putting this negativity towards someone like Amazon?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I think they are both, it just happens that they have 973 clients for one boat building project.

Patreon makes it pretty clear to their "creators" that money received is income but also explicitly states they don't give tax advice. Based on the chart above Acorn to Arabella is bringing in $115,000 a year, by the time they pay for materials, the guy editing the videos and taxes they aren't getting particularly rich (at least monetarily, the experience and education is priceless).
    Steve

R.D Culler

Post #17 times two.

When the economy doesn't allow wholesale building of wooden boats this gives those of us who would otherwise be left out in the cold some measure of vicarious participation, does it not? There's no way on earth I could afford to build anything like either boat, but I can afford to plunk a hundred bucks or so toward the completion and get a little soupcon of satisfaction that I'm helping toward something that generations from now will still be enjoyed by enthusiasts. Good on 'em!

I saw the title of this thread which I based my post on taxes: Building a wooden boat and making money
    The concept of making money in America is based on profit after expenses and taxes. No matter how the noble the project - doing things the right, legal way is best. I don’t need to tell you the amount of boat builders and film makers who don’t factor in the taxes, commingle funds and get caught up in the system. The higher the profile, the greater their risk for audit.

Wow, I thought the only click bait was in the Ads?????

No boat pics for that matter, No wood.....

Just a bunch of stats I could careless about.

Where's the refund line, I want 3 minutes of my life back....
    I don't cuss much for a sailor - that said, I may cuss to much for a preacher...

I dont have a problem with James Cameron or Olin Stephens, so I cant imagine why I would have an issue with the folks at acorn to arabella combining movie making in boatbuilding. Actually I hope they get rich off it.

I hope they are paying their taxes too, for their own sake as well as the rest of us. #2 was pretty surprised how much she had to set aside for taxes after setting up shop as an esthetician.
    Steve

R.D Culler