Thread: Mask/Face Shield

Default Mask/Face Shield

Saw one of the workers in the yard grinding the hull of a glass boat. His mask/ face shield was a full face affair with the filter cartridges in the back. Didnt have time to stop and ask him where he got the the thing.
    Anybody familiar with this set-up? Ive never seen it before but it looks like a great rig.

Default Re: Mask/Face Shield

3M #6900, at fine stores everywhere.

This one's battery powered

This one is also battery powered. It looks top heavy but mine is comfortable to wear and works very well with a full beard.

trend-airshield-pro-stofmasker-.jpg

As recently as the 70s standard work wear for building anything from wood was thongs, stubbies, a tank top if it was cold, and sometimes blokes would don safety specs if they didn't already have sunnies or prescription glasses on... but that was it. No respiratory gear, no ear muffs, no gloves, no boots. None of us seem to have suffered for it. I can't figure out if the modern ultra risk averse world is due to actual hazard or if it is just the result of clever marketing to sell us more stuff.

I know I feel better if I'm not blowing gunk out my nose for the next few days. A mask makes a big difference. If you can keep it out your eyes as well without fogging up that's an extra bonus. Not sure if I will live longer? Just better.

"None of us seem to have suffered for it. " [#5]

The amateur who simply tends his or her own boats possibly does not suffer as much cumulative damage as a pro. And at its worst lead build-up in boat yard workers' bodies did not lead to quite as dramatic brain damage as their contemporaries working in an auto-body shop. But the number of boatyard workers who complete a career with all fingers and the ability to form words has dramatically increased due to attention to the hazards, environmental and physical.

Not so certain about nine of us. People my age and younger are dropping like flies.

When I was coming up in the trade safety gear was virtually non existent. All the old timers were half deaf, most of them smoked and coughed all day and more than one was missing a finger or finger tip. Frankly we just didnt know any better.

I have found as Ive gotten older that hearing protection, dust collection, anti fatigue mats, safety glasses arent at all difficult to use, dont slow me down to any noticable degree and make the shop a fairly pleasant place to spend the day and I dont feel beat up, my ears dont ring, and I dont cough and hack up colorful stuff any more.

All the stuff posted in response looks good; and thank you all, but not what I saw. Im going to go back and find out what he was using. The faceplate is triangular and full face. No back up or powered unit attached and the filter cartridges were in the back. Looked like webbing and elastic straps like a full face divers mask.

Ill post it once i find it.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I worked barefoot. In St Barts, all we wore was underpants.yup. At least they were colored .
    A tee shirt strategically placed down over glasses AND across mouth for double duty.
    But now, I purchase one of those full face 3M shields every few years. The fine rubber valves and soft rubber bits that touch your face melt in the heat .$150 from Jamestown, but my son just got one from Amazon for $100.
    I'm more hinky about getting pieces of boat in my eyes than anywhere else.
    And of course, as I've mentioned, I'm a big fan of fans.

Don't neglect to protect your hearing while you are protecting your eyes and lungs. I would like to hear birds again, but would settle for hearing a complete conversation at our dinner table.

Jeff

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...ocs_orders.cfm

Bill Pentz had a plan for a cyclone dust collector. He developed allergies and got a serious case of religion with respect to breathing protection. The link has a lot more information that can be posted here.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Don't neglect to protect your hearing while you are protecting your eyes and lungs. I would like to hear birds again, but would settle for hearing a complete conversation at our dinner table.

Jeff
    I like the Stihl earmuffs. They are good and rugged. Light weight and very effective. Being bright orange means Its hard to lose them too

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    This one's battery powered

I have, and use, good respirators.... But what a miserable way to work on a wood lathe! A dust mask would be a bit on the prudent end, that thing is just overkill.

People keep trying to suck all the joy out of my hobbies. There is a reason I don't work on fiberglass boats- because you need gear like that!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    And of course, as I've mentioned, I'm a big fan of fans.
    Amen to that! A big sliding door on the shop, an overhead ceiling fan (from a dumpster,) and a couple of heavy duty fans on stands (dumpster scores again) take care of about 80% of it for me. All my stationary tools are on heavy duty locking rollers so I can roll them to in front of the shop door if need be. Keeping a significant breeze blowing from "in" to "out" really makes a big difference, particularly with the fine dust. Unless the weather precludes it, all my sanding and grinding is done outside.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

Jeff
    Too late for me on that score, too. It wasn't boat work that did it though. It was working as a law enforcement firing range instructor in the days before OSHA. As my boss used to say, "Are you gonna wear ear muffs on the job all day long in case you've got to shoot? Quit yer bitchin'. It don't hurt after the first few rounds." We'd stick cigarette filters in our ears to deaden the sound when he wasn't looking. Now I don't hear too much more than my wife yelling, "Turn the TV down!"

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I use safety glasses and ear protection all the time when working on anything loud or anything that whirr's at high speed. I find when i put them on i just keep them on all the time.
    I hate getting wood chips and flecks in my eyes. That slows me down far more than the time it takes to pull the glasses down over my eyes. I also consider, using something like the table saw, that a splinter of wood in the eye and I am now suddenly in charge of a very dangerous piece of kit mid task, while being half blind and in pain.

I find the loud noise from a machine distracting, i am much calmer when i knock that roar back a few db's. (There are many instances where i yearn for ear protection and not all in the workshop)

I rarely wear a dust mask, which i should probably work on. I have a recently purchased respirator with new filters, I just don't wear it.
    I do use a fan.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    I like the Stihl earmuffs. They are good and rugged. Light weight and very effective. Being bright orange means Its hard to lose them too

The Stihl give 25db of noise reduction. I use the 3M #105 model that gives 30db. I want all the help I can get.

Although that bright orange would be helpful in my usually messy shop. I compensate by having three pair of muffs in there. I can usually find one of them.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    This one is also battery powered. It looks top heavy but mine is comfortable to wear and works very well with a full beard.

trend-airshield-pro-stofmasker-.jpg
    This works great for particulates like saw dust and protects the eyes. The flow of cool filtered air down the face helps too. I have had too many trips to the eye dr to have junk gouged out of my corneas and my favorite phrase has become, “excuse my what did you say?” Wear your PPD, the changes are incremental and you don’t notice until the results are significant.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I'm convinced that my Festool Rotex sander's dust collection is the most important bit of safety gear I've gotten.

I am also a big fan of the Bose qc35 noise cancelling headphones.

Festool has definitely upped the ante on dust control for their line of tools but I cant justify a thousand bucks for their hepa filter vacuum rig. I use a Rigid shop vac and a two stage outlet that turns the vac on when the tool goes on and keeps the vac going for 15 seconds after the tool goes off.
    I use the Festool suction hose becuase it fits all the tools and fits the Rigid hose tight enough that a quick turn of duct tape does the trick.
    All in it cost about two hundred bucks as opposed to a thousand and works just fine.
    The Rockler Tools cyclone dust and chip separator works a treat as well on all the large stationary machines. Saves the filter changes by a good 50 percent.

Thanks for everyone's reviews and experience with these products!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.