Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northern Scandanavia Walkabout?

Default Re: Northern Scandanavia Walkabout?

I'd certainly suggest that if you are struggling with demons, you probably should not put yourself in a difficult and unfamiliar situation.
    If you have the money and time I'd suggest a week or two in a beach b&b on a beach in the Bahamas, or similar.....
    An appropriate amount of adult beverages, in a relaxed social situation
    You can talk or not as you will.
    It will not solve your problems, but it may let you build up strength to take on those demons...

Hey, Alex. How’s it going? Long time, no see.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Prepare for Christmas. A cold dark lonely Christmas on the wrong side of the world will probably do your head no good at all. Just make sure you have someone to be with, at least part of the day, wherever you are.
    No offense intended, but that is a personal opinion. There are some people who would actually like to get away from everything christmas related, and people who think its important to be with people you spend the rest of the year avoiding.

Has anyone suggested the Hurtigruten line passenger/freight/mail boats that ply the coast of Norway? Lots of interesting things to see, passengers to meet if that appeals, places to visit, sights to observe. Their most popular time is, oddly, February, when passengers enjoy the Northern lights. But in your case, perhaps it might be better to do it when the sun reappears: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...o-frills-ship/

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    No offense intended, but that is a personal opinion. There are some people who would actually like to get away from everything christmas related, and people who think its important to be with people you spend the rest of the year avoiding.
    No offence taken. I loathe Christmas, and all its expectations, and the repeated get togethers with different subsets of the same group of people. And presents which must be kept, but should be sent to landfill, and even better would never have been produced or bought at all. It prevents summer holiday plans here, where it falls mid summer. I think I'd like to make a habit of going for a solo cruise every year from about mid December to mid January. But I might be solo for longer than that if I do.

So has anyone talked to Alex? No activity here for a month now.

I hope he's okay. Very unlike him not to pop in here frequently. I hope he is just taking some time to clear his mind. I do not have any contact info.

Probably just staying away from electronics on his trip but if anyone has his number maybe you could check in with him. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    I hadn't thought of going to someplace nearby --Copenhagen rather than, say, Oslo-- for the advantage of a direct flight. I'll keep that in mind. I've been dreading figuring out how to make connections SEA to LAX to... Oslo? It'd make sense to go direct from SEA to somewhere close enough and make the next leg part of the ground travel.
    Copenhagen is essentially nextdoor to Oslo via it's delightful ferry. I suppose there also is a handy bus from Copenhagen to Malmo Sweden via the new bridge. Stockholm has inconveniently far airports - takes forever on an express airport bus altho maybe there is train service now to one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    I've heard the Nordic countries have a high percentage of English-speakers, and that's part of my reason to travel there. I feel bad not being willing to linguistically immerse myself more, but I simply don't have the reserves right now.
    Surprisingly scarce english fluency in Norway by those not serving tourists, at least in past. It is pointless to be apologetic about english - if a Norwegian tourist visits (or receives visitors from) Mongolia or Myanmar, they will expect to interact in the world common denominator language of english.

P.S. The normally ultra expensive coastal mail run boat in Norway is very affordable without a cabin. Not fair to bunk on a couch (they have signs about that), but you can lay overnight in towns like the delightful Alesund. Terrible time of year tho, even late August can have bitter weather driving you off the sightseeing deck.