Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair Price for Cape Dory Typhoon?

Default Fair Price for Cape Dory Typhoon?

So, there's a Cape Dory Typhoon--Daysailer with cuddy, not the usual Weekender with an actual small cabin--that's mine if I make a "fair offer" to the owner. He has done a lot of work on it and it looks to be in great shape, new paint, etc.

Any ideas what a "fair offer" might be? Online, used Typhoons seem to sell for somewhere between $3,500-$10,000. Most of those have the cabin.

Complicating factor: This is in the Marshall Islands, where I am currently teaching. It's almost impossible to get a boat out here unless it can get here on its own bottom. So, would that make a "fair offer" more expensive. Also, the seller is leaving in December, which might make him more open to lower offers.

Any thoughts on what a boat of this type in good condition is worth? I don't want it as cheap as possible, I do want to make a fair offer.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Default Re: Fair Price for Cape Dory Typhoon?

I'd think getting it to the Marshall Islands would cost more than $10k just by itself....
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

In fair condition without a trailer? $3500-5000. I have two friends who have them and they are nice little boats. It will last a few generations.

There is a very nice one with a trailer on sailingtexas.com for $4800.00

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Thanks for the comments. I was kind of thinking $5000 might be my upper limit.

It would cost about $10,000 to ship my Alaska out here (18' long, 350 lbs), I think.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

There isn't any relativity to other places. The boat is worth what you are willing to pay and the seller agrees is a fair deal.

You might also want to factor in the difficulty (or ease) of getting rid of it when your assignment there ends.

Quote Originally Posted by phiil View Post
    You might also want to factor in the difficulty (or ease) of getting rid of it when your assignment there ends.
    Yep, that's definitely on my mind. Boats do seem to change hands regularly here as people leave and new people arrive. But it's a factor for sure.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Would it really cost $10k to put that boat in a shipping container and send her back to the west coast?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I was kind of thinking $5000 might be my upper limit.

It would cost about $10,000 to ship my Alaska out here (18' long, 350 lbs), I think.

Tom
    So is the Typhoon you're considering already in the Marshalls? is that what you mean by 'the seller is leaving in December'? If so, any shipping cost he incurred to get the boat there from wherever is a sunk cost that he incurred to have the enjoyment of it there. Considering paying a portion of that would be like offering to pay past insurance premiums that he carried on the boat.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 10-28-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Would it really cost $10k to put that boat in a shipping container and send her back to the west coast?
    Yep. The container is $2500 or so, but there are lots of other associated costs. Seems to be accurate from what little I know.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    So is the Typhoon you're considering already in the Marshalls? is that what you mean by 'the seller is leaving in December'? If so, any shipping cost he incurred to get the boat there from wherever is a sunk cost that he incurred to have the enjoyment of it there. Considering paying a portion of that would be like offering to pay past insurance premiums that he carried on the boat.
    Yes, it's out here now. I think the current owner bought it out here, so he did not incur any shipping costs. He has fixed it up a bunch. I get the impression it has been out here a long time--there's a lot of boats here that have been here for years and years. No one wants to sail them back to Hawaii upwind, and very few go on to NZ or Australia, either.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

A few pics of the specific boat in question, the good ship Mango:

DSCN6031.jpg

DSCN6027.jpg

DSCN6038.jpg

DSCN6032.jpg

Still need details on sails and extras, but it looks pretty good to me. It does come with a mooring. Any thoughts?

For one thing, I'm not sure why there is a bolt through the keel (visible in the third photo).

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Is that a bolt or a drain plug? As to cost, it's what the seller will accept. Maybe offer $3,000 to get the conversation started.
    -Dave

Open the inspection ports inside the cabin and check the chainplates for leaks, rusting and cracks in the fiberglass and stainless.

It's a drain plug.

Mickey Lake

Sails are a big expense. I would say more than 50% of the sailboats out there on the market have old, used up sails. Seems to be the last thing people will spend $$ on. Looks real nice, though.

A fair price would depend on the island market, nothing to do with the market price on the mainland. Since you will not take it with you when you leave, you have to take that into consideration. Ask the owner about a fair price ...

Do you know what the seller paid when he bought it?

I would be thinking that the price to get it to Marshall Islands has already been accounted for, over the course of several owners on site. I would not make it my concern if buying the boat today.

I also would weigh heavily the small market available for re-selling it. We never really know what a boat costs us until we go and resell it. That said, and from here, I'd pay $3000. Seems like if I sailed it for at least two years and then had to abandon it without selling, I'd have gotten a fair deal out of it.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I think you should consider what it is worth to you. I've had success buying boats and cars, even a house by politely saying "$ is my number, that's all I'm willing/able to pay. Not a negotiating offer, that's it. If you get a better offer, please take it. If you don't, or decide you can live with what I can pay, let me know"
    When I bought the house it turned out the seller had decided on the same number. We shook hands and called our brokers, who had failed to agree on a price.

I know the conversation has moved along, but I'm still enjoying the topic around the "get her home price tag." I wonder if you could sail her to a much larger port and then ship her or sell her.

For instance, you could sail her to Japan and sell her there. Now that'd be an adventure. I see a book in this ...

I'm guessing that the seller also doesn't know what the boat is worth. Why else would he/she tell you to make a reasonable offer? Usually I walk away from ambiguous situations like that. But you are in a unique market where there may not be too many other small boats to purchase.

I lived in Alaska for a long time where the cost of shipping was also high, at least in comparison to the lower 48 states. But that high cost of shipping never played a factor in an re-sell deal I was part of.

Jeff

I know the conversation has moved along, but I'm still enjoying the topic around the "get her home price tag." I wonder if you could sail her to a much larger port and then ship her or sell her.

For instance, you could sail her to Japan and sell her there. Now that'd be an adventure. I see a book in this ...

Jagular would be so proud of you.

Jeff

Well, let's just squash the idea of me sailing a Typhoon to Japan! I'm not even sure it could carry enough water. And I'm WAY too chicken. I might sail to nearby atolls (30+ miles) and consider that PLENTY of adventure by itself. But Yeadon, if I do buy her, you're welcome to come try it yourself during the summer while I'm in the U.S.--as long as you then sail it back so it's waiting for me in the fall. Deal?

Thanks for all the replies--I was not expecting a drain, but of course that's what it is. Apparently the Typhoon has interior ballast, which I didn't know.

It does come with sails, just not sure how old. I appreciate the suggestion about checking the inspection ports, and thoughts on prices.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Most Cape Dories (of all sizes) have the ballast encased in fiberglass keel pockets.

Wow. Last Mango in Paradise.....

There is a guy in Rotterdam who has told me he could ship a Dragon to an east coast of the USA for around $3000, but I am thinking that has no bearing here. Plenty of container shipping between the Netherlands and North America.

Mickey Lake

If you can afford what you think it's worth, and he doesn't mind the price, go for it. Have fun and enjoy the boat for as long as possible, sell it for what you can. Keep moving. Don't look back. It's really just a rental.

I think we'll want a bigger boat for our Japan trip, though.

I think the Pasha Group sends all kinds of things originating from San Francisco to the Marshalls Islands. Get it on a trailer and ship it. I heard prices on a trailer aren't too bad.

https://www.pashagroup.com/
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Maybe get it on a trailer and ship it.

I think the Pasha Group sends all kinds of things originating from San Francisco to the Marshall Islands. Have a friend who sails chef mate aboard - he says they carrying all kind of recreational and work boats. I heard prices once on on the trailer aren't too bad. Getting it to San Francisco pulled by a decent used ford 150 truck wouldn't be so bad. (Good used trailers can be had for under 2k.) Sell the truck and the trailer once in the Marshalls - you may just profit enough to cover the expense.

https://www.pashagroup.com/
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-30-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Thanks for the replies, everyone, but there might be some confusion here (probably my fault). I'm in the Marshall Islands, teaching for the school year but home each summer. The Typhoon I'm looking at is also here, on my island. No need to ship anything if I buy it.

I thought about shipping my Alaska here (I'd love to have it here), but then I wouldn't have a boat to sail in the U.S. during the summer. (And I don't entirely trust it would arrive unharmed--AND shipping is expensive). So buying a boat here is just for me to use while I'm here. I just need to keep in mind that I'll need to sell the boat when I leave (I won't be here forever).

I will make an offer on this Typhoon and see how it goes. I appreciate all the responses, and will update the thread when I know more.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

If you can afford what you think it's worth, and he doesn't mind the price, go for it. Have fun and enjoy the boat for as long as possible, sell it for what you can. Keep moving. Don't look back. It's really just a rental.

I think we'll want a bigger boat for our Japan trip, though.
    Well, I'll keep my eye out for a Typhoon Senior (22') for that.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

What's sailing worth to you while you're on temporary duty in the Marshalls? That's the value. I agree with Yeadon in post 28.

Yep, that's my own philosophy as well. I'm slowly gathering info about the boat and will probably make an offer next week.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

That's dangerous water between you and Japan! I spent my 5th birthday in Kwajelin, and still have some fond but hazy memories. Seems like the kind of place for a fast multihull. Something you can carry dive gear on.