Thread: Anchor chain pipe ideas please

Default Anchor chain pipe ideas please

Currently my foredeck has a Lofrans Royal windlass and the anchor is stowed on deck, in chocks. The boat is a Fife designed sloop 33’ LOA. It’s become more and more the case that we don’t really ‘cruise’ very much. The boat is lovely to sail and we’ve been doing a few classic regattas, but she is a sporty, flighty, wet little thing with a narrow foredeck and I’ve decided to clear it to make things easier up there when we are doing spinnaker etc. and enjoy her for what she is. We rarely anchor, in truth.

So this winter the anchor chocks will go, as will the windlass. I will stow two anchors below, a lunch hook/ kedge and a main anchor. But I’m a bit perplexed as to how to achieve an elegant, low profile and reasonably waterproof exit for the chain. I don’t really want a ‘spurling pipe’ type of arrangement, because that will neatly catch sheets.

https://shop.classicmarine.co.uk/cha...-1-12-i-d.html
    I have thought about a plain deck filler type of arrangement eg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Perko-5289/1651244443

This is nice and low profile and I can trim the spigot inside to ease the run of the chain. Bear in mind that we don’t anchor very often, so I’m not looking for anchoring nirvana. I want to stop tripping over things, and snagging the sheets.

My anchor chain is 8mm so I need an internal diameter of about 50mm I think. I could, I guess go to smaller chain in higher strength.....
    Looking for bright ideas, really...

Graham

Default Re: Anchor chain pipe ideas please

The link to Murray's site was broken, I assume that you mean this?

You could prevent your sheets snagging by fabricating a bronze cage to go over it.

Chain will snag on the hard corner of this and will probably knacker the threads.

I suppose that if you want to go all Rolls Royce, you could machine the flange off of a normal spurling pipe and thread it to fit the deck filler, thereby making it removable.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Pushing the chain end up through any deck fitting is going to be a challenge. I suppose you will have a handy wire hook or something. Is it an option just to bring the chain up through the fore hatch, hand over hand so you dont damage the coamings? That's what we always did on my dads boat, with a chain/rope rode.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Pushing the chain end up through any deck fitting is going to be a challenge. I suppose you will have a handy wire hook or something. Is it an option just to bring the chain up through the fore hatch, hand over hand so you dont damage the coamings? That's what we always did on my dads boat, with a chain/rope rode.
    Fit a hook to the underside of the fitting closer. As you lift it out the chain follows. Unhook the chain and shackle the anchor on whilst kicking the closer plate overboard
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I have no idea whether it would work for your situation, but what I did aboard Bucephalus was to embed a short section of red brass pipe vertically in the deck ring of the mast partners, hidden under the mast boot. A rubber stopper in the top of the pipe keeps the water out (I left enough threads of the pipe showing that I could use a threaded cap if I wanted), and a short section of cord sewn through the center of the rubber stopper, as a lanyard for me to hook onto the working end of the rode, allows the rode to drop all the way down into the chain locker beneath and to then be pulled up on deck when it's time to bend on the anchor. The mast boot covers the upper end of the pipe and prevents anything from snagging on it. A flap is sewn onto the mast boot, velcro'ed over the top of a sewn ring large enough to pass the rode through, and sheds any water that might try and get down below.

So far it works much better than I had expected: doesn't leak (spray, deck-wash, or rain), easy access, keeps the weight of the rode back at the boat's CG, doesn't snag lines on deck, easy to send the rode up or down.

I use a 3/4" pipe with braided nylon rode --a pair of them, actually, for two rodes (5/8" and 1/2")-- but a larger pipe should accomodate a chain rode just fine. No internal threads to get chewed up by the chain, either.

I'm afraid I don't have any really good photos of the system in action, but these should give you the general idea:

This first photo is of a trial run, with a pair of pipe nipples I had lying about. In the final installation I cut a 12" nipple in half, chucked each half in the the wood lathe, and with a file faired the lower end both to get rid of the burr and so that the internal edge is a bit of a "funnel" to allow the rode to enter it without snagging.

I used threaded red brass caps in the beginning, as much as anything to make sure enough threads remained accessible outside the mast ring, but now use rubber stoppers exclusively:

They're bedded in 3M 4000UV:

The mast ring does most of the work, as a coaming, of keeping deck-wash out of the mast wedges and the pipes. You can see the cove cut around the base of the mast ring, that the mast boot is seized to:

Alex
    Last edited by Pitsligo; 10-28-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Nice decklights

I can't possibly suggest anything until you post a picture of your Fife.

Actually I was going to suggest the same as Nick, a deckplate with a D brazed on it, tied to a piece of cord and then to the chain. Alex's point about internal threads being damaged by the chain is valid and something I've never thought about. I've only used it on other people's boats and always brought the chain out hand over hand.

In the US there are hard foam sticks called "pool noodles", a portion of one of those suitably carved, will help keep rainwater out of your hawse, when you're anchored.

This will get your anchor off the deck!
    Jay

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

A long skinny fine ended Fife , which you rarely anchor?
    A bucket of chain and rode in one hand, a 25 pound anchor in the other hand.
    Put em below ,or in the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    A long skinny fine ended Fife , which you rarely anchor?
    A bucket of chain and rode in one hand, a 25 pound anchor in the other hand.
    Put em below ,or in the cockpit.
    Yeah I think that pretty much sums it up. Keep it v v simple. But thank you for the focus!

The current arrangement
    Attached Images Attached Images

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yea, I ain't being flippant either.
    It is exactly how I did it with a few 4 ton boats I sailed around the Caribbean with for years.
    I did not need the weight of the gear forward, the leak of the hause through deck or the potential for damage (wood and flesh).
    Perfect balance walking fore n aft.
    And...You can usually drop and retrieve from the stern or the cockpit anyhoo.
    bruce