I've been doing a lot more thinking, making up sail plans, researching and I think I've settled on a sail plan. Well, sort of.

First off, I decided to just keep the mast as short as possible, but if it winds up to long to store inside the boat then that's just how it will have to be.

In regard to boomless lug sails, There are a lot opinions about them running the gamut from "they're great" to "they suck". Most of the "they suck" opinions seem to come from those who desire the utmost performance from their boats, and the "they're great" crowd favors ease of use and are willing to sacrifice a little performance. I guess I don't mind sacrificing some performance, and see enough of the pros that I want to give one a try. I may not stick with boomless, but I at least want to experience it.

The 3 sail plans below all use the same mast, yard, and mast location. The plan on the right uses a scaled version of the boomless standing lug sail Todd Bradshaw designed for an Argie 15 builder with the addition of a small jib. I'm going to start with this rig initially to decide if I like it. If I do it ends there.

12 Dinghy 11-3-18.jpg

If after sailing the boomless lug I decide it isn't for me, I can move to one of the two plans on the left. The only real difference between these two is the main sail area. I think for a little boat like this, the 67 sq ft main shown in the center should be enough, but the a main in the one at left is a little bigger.

As for the jib, I'm going to try running it without mast shrouds at first. I think it may work based on the laser pico which has a similar sized jib on an un-stayed mast. Time will tell. If it doesn't work I'll just add dyneema shrouds.

My plan is to first build using lumber store plywood so that if this thing is a turd I don't have too much invested. For that one I'm going to use a centerboard box that allows me to shim the centerboard either forward or aft within a 1 ft range to allow for the different CE from each of the sail plans and to find the best location for it. I'll be able to hack on it and try it out with the motor, and oars, etc.

Getting back to the hull, I originally designed it with the V-hull cross section in the picture below, but am considering re-designing it with a flat bottom cross section similar to the one shown. I would use the flat bottom all the way to the transom. I'd like to hear opinions on which one would be better. Some experimenting in Freeship indicates that I should be able to get a better shape on the bow.

cross section.pngFlat bottom.jpgFREE!ship linesplan.jpg