Thread: Changing boats

Default Changing boats

I very happily owned Mimi Rose for almost a decade, but when the original owner, Bill Page, approached me this winter and asked if I would sell her to his son, Tom, I said yes. I got Tom's Bent Jespersen built, Thomas Gillmer Blue Moon as part of the exchange, too, so I was boatless for zero hours. Heck, there's even a great, if tiny, tender that stows on deck, too. Here's some pictures from a summer of sailing two boats.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yiSsacLh4QnH4WeR6

Default Re: Changing boats

Nice photos!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Congrats! Two very lovely vessels.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Blue Moon is THE boat, as far as Iím concerned.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Blue Moon is THE boat, as far as I’m concerned.

Peace,
    Robert
    I found it a dull sailer and cramped below, but for looks it can't be beat.

Where will Mimi Rose sail from now?
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Beauties both!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Great photos! And I see you still have the Atkin Vintage. Did I see you are keeping her in the water this winter?

Mimi Rose moors in Kittery now. The Atkin Vintage that my dad built in the 80's and which I helped back a few rivets and clench nails as a kid, definitely stays with me. I've been enjoying the Blue Moon a good bit, and yes I'm keeping her in the water this winter. The interior layout on this one is an interesting twist on the typical layout and works well. Cramped for some, I'm sure, but I'd call it intimate or cozy myself. Much like the sailing qualities. I've had it out in some moderately rough water so far and sailing was pleasantly "dull." Heaves to like a dream and yet turns on a dime. I do hope to add the mizzen back, though, and make some other modifications. I'll save those for a future thread.

Quote Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
    I very happily owned Mimi Rose for almost a decade, but when the original owner, Bill Page, approached me this winter and asked if I would sell her to his son, Tom, I said yes. I got Tom's Bent Jespersen built, Thomas Gillmer Blue Moon as part of the exchange, too, so I was boatless for zero hours. Heck, there's even a great, if tiny, tender that stows on deck, too. Here's some pictures from a summer of sailing two boats.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yiSsacLh4QnH4WeR6
    It looks like the Blue Moon does not have a cockpit. I am interested in it for I am thinking about building a small decked lugger/ gaffer with only a simple hatch, but am not sure how it would work out.

Yes, the cockpit was removed and decked over by a previous owner. I like it. The bulwarks, transom and raised deck amidships all give you back support wherever you want to sit. There's raised bit in the middle of the deck to brace your legs against while working to windward. The only thing I want to change is to add a substantial deck hatch as there's plenty of great stowage in the lazarette, but it's hard to access right now. This hatch will probably be removable so folks can dangle legs if they want. I'll also make the raised brace removable, too, because the aft deck is roughly the size of a queen bed. Makes for great outdoor sleeping.

Thanks for answering, this is encouraging and informative.