Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A rig for an 1840 Cullercoats coble model

Default Re: A rig for an 1840 Cullercoats coble model

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Just so. I can only do fixed lengths, limited by the length of the table, but real rope walks are also of a finite length as well.

A good thickness sander would be a boon.
    Chuck Passaro of Syren Ship Models, who sells the finest ready-made scale rope around, makes all of it himself with a spinning machine quite similar to your own. See: https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/ropewalk.php He sells a laser-cut cherry wood kit to make his "Rope Rocket" for $85 US.

Part Two of above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAW8qZLELM

Here's Jim Byrnes' thickness sander below. It's got a drum that takes two sheets of 3" wide standard sandpaper, for coarse and fine, side by side on the drum, or one sheet of 6" sandpaper for a single grit the entire width of the drum. It's machined aluminum with a powerful motor that really works well. Adjustment tolerances are in the range of thousandths of an inch. They run $350 US retail. The 230 VAC version for European use is $375 US, plus shipping which, I hear, is pretty expensive to England these days. It's a fine precision machine, though, so you get what you pay for.

Jim Byrnes' "Model Machines" are all made primarily of CNC-machined aluminum to exacting tolerances and are extremely accurate. They are "professional grade" equipment, unlike their counterparts sold as "hobby machines," which often are plastic and lack the accuracy that things like micrometer fence adjustments provide on Byrnes' machines. Jim Byrnes makes these machines himself in his own shop in Florida, so they are sort of "bespoke." He seems happy to offer personal advice and we aren't talking about a product produced in China with a US label stuck on as an afterthought, like so many tools these days.

See: http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/sander1.html

http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/sander1.html

I don't have any financial interest in either of these enterprises, but the owners are "forum acquaintances" of mine. I have Jim Byrnes' table saw, and disk and drum sanders and can't say enough good about them.
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 01-13-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Chuck Passaro of Syren Ship Models, who sells the finest ready-made scale rope around, makes all of it himself with a spinning machine quite similar to your own. See: https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/ropewalk.php He sells a laser-cut cherry wood kit to make his "Rope Rocket" for $85 US.

Part Two of above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAW8qZLELM
    Interesting. The tail stock is nowt like any rope walk I have seen and he seems to manage without the runner to ensure that there are no crossed lays. I don't think that set up could insert a core into 4 strand, but may be that does not matter at scale. I do like the head stock though. If I need to make a lot more rope I'll look for Meccano gears and build one.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Awesome work Nick , thank you for posting !

Interesting. The tail stock is nowt like any rope walk I have seen and he seems to manage without the runner to ensure that there are no crossed lays. I don't think that set up could insert a core into 4 strand, but may be that does not matter at scale. I do like the head stock though. If I need to make a lot more rope I'll look for Meccano gears and build one.
    I'm not sure if the "Rope Rocket" will lay up cable around a core. You could email Chuck Passaro (address on Syren Ship Models website) and ask. He's very accessible and I'm sure he'd get back to you personally.

I'm not sure if the "Rope Rocket" will lay up cable around a core. You could email Chuck Passaro (address on Syren Ship Models website) and ask. He's very accessible and I'm sure he'd get back to you personally.
    It's OK Bob. I do not like modelling with multiple masts, yards, and sails. I find the repetition boring. So I do not need yards and yards of cordage justifying the cost of his rope walk. If I do want to improve my head stock I'll buy gears on line and modify the existing unit. Thanks for showing me what is possible though.

You could add a runner to his set up which would feed a core in as it lays the rope if you needed to.

It's OK Bob. I do not like modelling with multiple masts, yards, and sails. I find the repetition boring. So I do not need yards and yards of cordage justifying the cost of his rope walk. If I do want to improve my head stock I'll buy gears on line and modify the existing unit. Thanks for showing me what is possible though.

You could add a runner to his set up which would feed a core in as it lays the rope if you needed to.
    I hear you! You might check their website for your headstock if you decide to improve it. I believe they sell the headstock gearbox, a single unit, separately for nine dollars US. That's pretty cheap.

I hear you! You might check their website for your headstock if you decide to improve it. I believe they sell the headstock gearbox, a single unit, separately for nine dollars US. That's pretty cheap.
    Damned right that is cheap, thanks.