Thread: Cine-Kodak Kodachrome 16mm safety color film

Question Cine-Kodak Kodachrome 16mm safety color film

Have found a Cine-Kodak Kodachrome 16mm safety color film of my parents wedding.

Want to copy it to a modern format. My son will hand it in in the UK.
    Cine to DVD (formerly British Film Transfers) is one of the longest established Film Transfer Studios in the UK. We are not just another internet supplier. For over 25 years our Studios have converted Cine to Video and now Cine to AVI and Cine to DVD, Blu-Ray, MOV, Pro Res, MPEG, CD and other editable movie formats. We have an enviable reputation as being fast and affordable. We have no hidden extra's. Even our delivery is Free.

We deal with 'all' formats, sizes and speeds of film so no more 'sorry we can't do that type.' We transfer super8, 8mm, 9.5mm and 16mm. We DO NOT subcontract this work out, in fact most of our transfers comes from other TV and video studios for their clients. So if you use another transfer company, the chances are your cines will end up being sent to us. You can do absolutely everything online then print off your order and send it in with your movie films or you can phone your order through. We even collect your films from your home or work. See our write up on Cinema Electronics Review. "UK's No.1 for Super8, 16mm, 9.5mm, 8mm film transfer to DVD, AVI, MOV, MPEG."
    From their site:
    What Format Should I choose ?

There are lots of formats. First of all find out what software you are using and then look at the info below to see what format is acceptable by that software. Eg if you are using Windows Media Player then WMV is the best format.

APPLE COMPATIBLE FORMATS
    MPEG 4 (IPHONE, APPLE TV, ITUNES, IMOVIE, IPAD)
    MOV (QUICKTIME, FINAL CUT, FINAL CUT PRO, IMOVIE, IDVD)
    PRO-RES 442 (SD/HQ) Supplied as a MOV (QUICKTIME, FINAL CUT, FINAL CUT PRO) Surcharge
    PRO-RES 4444 (HD) Supplied as a MOV (QUICKTIME, FINAL CUT, FINAL CUT PRO) Surcharge
    DV file (QUICKTIME, FINAL CUT, FINAL CUT PRO) Surcharge
    Have an iMac with a 21.5-inch (1920 x 1080) with a slot : Disk formats that can be written/played : CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL

Optical drive
    • Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
      • Writes DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL discs at up to 4x speed
      • Writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 8x speed
      • Writes DVD-RW discs at up to 6x speed and DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed
      • Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
      • Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
      • Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed
      • Reads CDs at up to 24x speed

Suggestions as to what format [ DVD, AVI, MOV,MPEG ] I should have the film 'copied'?

Default Re: Cine-Kodak Kodachrome 16mm safety color film

First of all - they may need to clean old film before scanning. It will prevent scratches. If they do not clean - your film will be scratched further creating loss. Sometimes a film blower works well. A frame by frame scan is better than a video scan. Prices vary - so check on it.

Have them transfer to high prores mov. files. It will be atleast 1080p if not 2-4K quality. They should transfer copy to a solid state drive or larger usb memory stick. Forget optical storage like DVD - that media is dead. Upload the film to the cloud.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Have them transfer to high prores mov. files. It will be atleast 1080p if not 2-4K quality. They should transfer copy to a solid state drive or larger usb memory stick. Forget optical storage like DVD - that media is dead. Upload the film to the cloud.
    I am going to disagree with this.

First, I would want it transferred into some totally uncompressed format. The oldest, most common one you can find. AVI is a container but frequently used for uncompressed video. Ten years from now when the format de jour has been 'deprecated' for five years, you want to be able to access your file easily. None of these creepy formats-of-the-moment will permit that.

Take that file, which will be huge, and burn it to a couple of dvd's at a slow speed. Test the dvd's to make sure they both read correctly. Put them away somewhere. In different places is a good idea.

If it were something truly important to me, I'd probably punch several rolls of mylar tape, which can be read forever and isn't going anywhere

Okay, now you are archived. Go do whatever the bling bling word of the day is, and be happy. Your files are stored in a manner which will keep them safe and accessible for a long time.

As for the cloud, I have one word - Photobucket. Trust Judas at your own peril.

^ The prores mov (of various levels of resolution) are the video files of choice right now. Most professional capture devices are incorporating the high file format. Changes will happen over time but in current formatting - Apple, Blackmagic, Adobe all have embraced the prores. Prores formats now are the file of choice for HD *K for most editing solutions today. AVI formats - a Microsoft standard are legacy at this point. In the future - raw formats will eventually replace mov - nice thing is the QuickTime player will be able to play back for a while.

my mentor and famed cinematographer - Allen Daviau - sat (sits) on the board for the Library of Congress as well as for Kodak as a consultant on film and video archiving. Although it has been a while since we spoke of these things. He was a pretty sold on Mov files and the Apple/Adobe commitment to keep mov a key legacy piece.

the real truth is celuoid film if kept in a dark, cool, dust free space is the best archiving solution. The high res digital scan of a frame by frame scan might be the second best solution. I currently use google as my video cloud. The first 10 gig of cloud space is free and does not look like it will disappear overnight. Get a gmail account and it is free. Upload it to YouTube - it may last there forever or until everyone who had interest in the film.

I am an advocate of the archive processes - uploading to the cloud is smart as long as one remembers where they put their loved content.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-25-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by on the border View Post

Take that file, which will be huge, and burn it to a couple of dvd's at a slow speed. Test the dvd's to make sure they both read correctly. Put them away somewhere. In different places is a good idea.
    'they' still make dvd players? i haven't held a dvd in years and am hard pressed to think whether kat and i even own a dvd player. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I know a company that converts cine to dvd in the uk that your son could hand the films in to if you're looking for other options, they're called supaphoto, all these options they should be able to sort out for you, it's a lot less complicated as they pretty much tell you what's best for you. hope that helps!

if you need me to attach a link for you to look into please do let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by digiman View Post
    I know a company. . .
    ya don't say
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    ya don't say

LOL

I don't know. I had some super 8 home movies. No sound. I sent some to a gentleman in Florida who transferred them to dvd. I sent him some music to add.

DVDs are becoming obsolete.

My aunt had all here photo collection on slides, and ended up with no way to show them, so she got software to scan them into computer, and had prints made of her favorites.

Family members have huge volume of photos in their phones. I suggest they choose some favorites and have prints made.

The old fashioned prints in photo albums seem to escape changes in technology, although, in truth, no one ever looks through them any more.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

I don't think I'd trust writeable DVD's these days. I made hundreds of them, before cheap disk and USB storage became available... and a small but significant number of the ones I made are no longer readable. I believe the reason is the fact that the dyes fade over time.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Joining a forum in order to post a single bit of spam before being banned has got to be the least effective way to sell a product there is.

There are special DVD for archiving. Searching, this was the first offered, but other manufacturers have similar offers: https://www.verbatim.com/subcat/opti...de-gold-dvd-r/

Not sure if tape is still a topic for long term storage, a few years ago it was, but there were the usual unpleasant stories of changed formats and standards ...

Whether data format, hardware drivers, hardware itself - standards change all the time and if you do not manage your stored data, you may have to invest some effort and money to access it in say 25 or 30 years. If it is possible at all and the data has not been lost, the data carrier has not given in to time. Old drives may no longer boot if their built in ROM was an EPROM - 10 to 20 years down the road, there may be information loss leading to no operation possible. The same for memory sticks, SD-cards, flash drives, ... . A neighbour had a CD with photos that were dear to him. Probably 10 to 15 years old at the time. The CD had started to delaminate. I managed to get most of the pictures of the CD, but it took me most of a day to find a program that could read the compressed and containerized data format.

Having data you do not want to loose stored in several places is part of the managing. Transferring it into the at the time best possible long term storage format again every say 5 ... 10 years will help to reduce the risk of loosing it. ... I am not an expert on this, these are just some basics. But I think I still have a few 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 somewhere. But only very few. And I have no way any more to access them myself. Not sure if they are still readable. I am not managing the information on them.
    Last edited by Henning 4148; 10-25-2020 at 02:31 PM.