Thread: Anchor stowage

Default Anchor stowage

I'm a model builder, currently doing Hemingway's "Pilar".

A small detail eludes me: Pilar carried at least a couple folding stock anchors on the cabin roof forward... my best image of this is an illustration taken from a photo, below.

The boat now at Finca Vigia shows no signs of anchor mounting hardware, but much is not original there (including the non-original anchor just laying there). How would YOU stow these anchors on a cabin roof?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Anchor stowage

You need a pair of grooved wood chocks for the flukes to sit in, another to support the shank, high enough so that the end of the stock is clear of the deck, and some eye bolts or pads to take a lashing to hold it down near the middle of the shank.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

There would likely be, " chocks," though fisherman sometimes use mashed up contrivances, in this case some kind of rope lashing. If chocks, they might have looked like so:

This one is for a Danforth type. While the specifics would vary, the principle for a fisherman type anchor would be about the same.Crown rests on the big piece; the stock ( removed) and shank ( assembled) are kept captive by the screw clamp or a lashing; the tips of the flukes are held by the little bits. Its all screwed down so as to suit the size of the specific anchor.

This is how it MIGHT have been.

Hemmingway's fishing was mostly trolling. The anchors might have only been brought on deck from dissassembled stowage elsewhere aboard for those times he wanted to fish a reef, or anchor for some other reason. The illustration you posted may reflect such a moment, rather than the day-in/ day-out state of affairs.

Kevin

Edit: Of course, I see now that in the illustration, the outriggers are deployed and the boat is underway, so she is shown trolling....or maybe they have finished trolling, havent yet brought the 'riggers up, and are about to anchor. As always, its hard saying not knowing.

Kevin

Last edited by Breakaway; 10-23-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Clarify
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

For Goblin's hefty Luke I made chocks from black locust. Two were mildly notched to accept a corner of each palm and the third was a round shape with a bit of a bowl scooped out (don't forget a drain trough) to accept the ball on the end of the stock when it was folded against the shank. There were two eye bolts that were directly under the shaft, one near the head and one the crown that were available to both lash the stock in place and lash the whole anchor down.

Edited to add - and while I type, a very beautiful example gets pictured.

Where are the anchor lines stowed aboard Pilar? In my mind this would impact the orientation of the anchors in chocks on the cabin roof. / Jim

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Wrapped and frapped, Whatever flavor of chocks.
    The Caribbean is a ROUGH place !
    I can't believe he carried those anchors on the lightly built deck of Pilar!
    Mine goes below usually when underway, and it STILL can get into trouble.

i found a nice set of bronze wilcox-crittenden chocks which i think are period appropriate

Thanks all! The cast chocks really look the ticket, and should be easy to reproduce in 1:12 scale.
    My build progress: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post40371265
    (Yes the planking is wrong, it'll all be covered in fiberglass anyway for R/C usage)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Wow nice model!
    Is Pilar a molded boat?
    What's unusual is the companionway on the front of the cabin.
    I'd bet the hooks were put below and simply deployed from that hatch.

On the photo you posted of Pilar's bow it shows the Wheeler nameplates and fittings. There was a Wheeler at a local boatyard when was very young and I used to admire it since it was largest boat there, maybe 40'. One day I went down to look at it and a yard painter was patching a spot right at the tip of the bow where something had happened to dent it. I must have been too quiet coming up behind him because when I said something he dropped the curved nameplate into the drink. He swore more than I'd ever heard anyone swear before and I hightailed it out of there. I didn't go back for a long while and always looked for that guy, thinking he'd throw ME in the harbor if he spied me.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

The boat originally had a forward cockpit-- it was supposed to be a pleasure boat! Hemingway had it decked over and added the access hatch in the foredeck, to make berthing space for his crew of two. Dunno if they slept with the anchors...

The model is double planked over frames, a typical modeler's trick for obtaining a fair hull when we use far too few frames. For convenience, I started with longitudinal planks, then did the diagonals (forming when needed). The hull transitions from hard chine to round about 1/3 back from the bow, which added to the fun. I developed the lines from one fuzzy image of a sales brochure and several usable photos...
    Last edited by patmat2350; 10-23-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Note how there are two anchors stacked to starboard, and a third of the same type to port. That's quite interesting. I wonder how they secured the two that are stacked.

Three different sizes, too, and at least two different manufacturers, judging by the shapes of the flukes.

I can barely begin to guess where the rodes were led, to get them below. There should be spurling pipes nearby that windlass, but I don't see any.

Alex

That forward companionway looks dangerous!

Bow cockpits weren't unusual in the 30s aboard 'commuter' type yachts: maxresdefault.jpg