Thread: Having a dumb moment

Default Having a dumb moment

So I'm at the stage where I need to fit the sun visor or "eyebrow" on my mini tug but I'm having a bit of a mental blank when it comes to making the brackets.
    The plans show 3 triangle brackets per side that the visor should lean against to produce a flowing curve, they all have the same measurement at the base but the 2 sides have 2 different measurements which I assume gives it a lean, trouble is it doesn't show which side goes against the inside edge of the visor, I assumed it would be the base but the angle that creates is way too sharp.
    Could anyone have a look at the picture, think it through and see what you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Having a dumb moment

Maybe you need a mock up from cardboard, door skin, or any cheap material... then it is possible to try various configurations to see how it might fit together.

Quote Originally Posted by mermod View Post
    they all have the same measurement at the base but the 2 sides have 2 different measurements which I assume gives it a lean, trouble is it doesn't show which side goes against the inside edge of the visor, I assumed it would be the base but the angle that creates is way too sharp.
    The bases differ 7 1/2, 7 1/8 and 7 3/4.
    It does not help that the triangles as drawn are nowhere near to scale.
    As the previous poster suggested cut out the shapes in card to get a better idea of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
    The bases differ 7 1/2, 7 1/8 and 7 3/4.
    It does not help that the triangles as drawn are nowhere near to scale.
    As the previous poster suggested cut out the shapes in card to get a better idea of what is going on.
    I think that might be the way to go, I was just hoping someone would look at it and tell me not to be so silly

Phill

I noticed that the plan shows the top inch is cut off the top of the triangle which suggests the top of the triangle will be at the junction of the cabin wall and the sun visor, so all that is left is to decide whether the 8 1/2 or 9 1/4 edge is next to the cabin wall.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
    I noticed that the plan shows the top inch is cut off the top of the triangle which suggests the top of the triangle will be at the junction of the cabin wall and the sun visor, so all that is left is to decide whether the 8 1/2 or 9 1/4 edge is next to the cabin wall.
    Yes, this. Which way around will depend on how much overhang the visor has. Either way will do the job but one may result in the bracket extending beyond the visor rim.

Jeff

How wide is the visor at point A. If under 9 inches you have your answer.

Then again as they are only duck taped in place and removed after visor resin is set it does not actually matter, it is the angle at the apex's that is important.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

All comments are greatly appreciated but I can't work out why the bases are different sizes, seems very particular but not sure why.

Phill

^ The different sizes of the bases will vary the angle of the sun visor.
    The shape of the cabin roof having straight sides and a curved front, bending sheet material around it is unlikely to have a constant angle.

So in the end it came down to just making it look about right, nothing seems to line up with those triangular brackets, now that I look closely at all the other mini tug pics I have I can see that no 2 are alike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mmmm, I'm not so sure about those plywood supports ... shouldn't be too hard to replace them with solid wood ?

sunshade.jpg