Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old wooden schooner shipping questions

Default Re: Old wooden schooner shipping questions

Maybe I missed it but have you had her surveyed? Imo the best way to spend money.

If schooners r us tried and failed to rescue an older schooner it should be posted right away, as to why it was a failure, so others can learn. It's not for the faint of heart. The rebuild of Mayan and others was a success, and the YouTube video was one of the best I 'v seen. To lavish love and money is the only answer. Hauling these old grand ladies out and surveying them is an act of love, and is the first step to a "save the boat" thread. The owners of these boats need as much support as they can get, (if they really want it) and The Wooden Boat Forums sometimes add greatly to their cause, they are in a quandry, sail or go broke. Or like Mayan, search for new owners who will carry on.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Willin: (post 27)

Was "Schooners R Us" the person who was looking to sail a schooner down (up?) the ICW but who wanted volunteer crew (unpaid) to help him do it and got incensed when the forum members pointed out that a survey was essential? We get one or two of these "save the boats" threads a year here, but the one I am thinking of got unnecessarily vituperative and he invaded at LEAST six other forae with the same querys and attitudes when we didn't bow down to his ideas and desires. (or was that the Tahiti ketch guy?) Age fogs the memory.

No, SRU was asking about alternative ways to build a boat. Double strip plank, specifically.
    He eventually put a photo of cash on a bed, bragged about his lifestyle.
    I found the thread very entertaining, but it was blackmailed into deletion by a member who threatened to remove her threads if SRU was allowed to stay.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 10-24-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: changed SRS to SRU

Schooners R Us was the guy who wanted to build a fifty footer, claimed he had all the money in the world and posted photos of his jeep, his guns and a briefcase full of cash...

I was around for the re-build of David Crosby's "Mayan" and had a hand in her restoration at Lido Shipyard.
    Great Boat! She has some of the most beautiful figured Honduras in her interior I have ever seen! Her former owner, David Crosby, is a man I respect and also am privileged to know as a friend!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-27-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Lotta' Love and they love to Schoon..........was it restored in So. America?

IIRC, Schooner R Us was going to design and build from scratch, and in spite of being a novice, knew better than any of the NA's here.
    He'd ask for an opinion on some proposed unconventional design/construction feature, and get all pi$$y when ten knowledgeable people pointed out fifteen reasons why it was a bad idea. So pi$$y, that he got himself banned.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

But as Wiz pointed out the SRU thread was a lot of fun to follow. The guy was a complete nut job.