Thread: Lindsey Slough row

Default Lindsey Slough row

LindseySloughBridge.jpgLindseySloughLunchspot.jpgLindseySloughLunchspot a.jpgLINDSEYSLOUGH@CA113.jpg

Lindsey Slough is in the Sacramento Delta just north of the small town of Rio Vista, California, and I am including a few pics from a very nice row from Rio Vista launching ramp, up the Sacramento River, into Cache Slough, and then up Lindsey Slough, which runs west-east until it ends where Highway 113 cuts it off from further navigation. Lunch was under an Oak tree on a green, grassy bank. Also shown are the private bridge, (to farmlands), near the beginning of the slough and the very end of the slough at Hwy 113, complete with 'big-rig' going along the levee. Total distance, RV to 113 and return, about 25 n.m. Time rowing, about 6h53m.

Sleaulane is an 18 ft. 'bateau' from John Gardener's Dory Book, equipped with sliding seat and using 9' 10" Pocock wooden oars. She is built of 1/4" mahogany ply, epoxy/cloth sheathed, sides and bottom, and finished bright inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Lindsey Slough row

Id love to do that.

Peace,
    Robert

Very nice! Do you steer with foot peddles?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Rich, you obviously spotted the rudder, with control lines, in the picture. I only use oars for steering when rowing, the continuous loop rudder control line is locked up with a small line stopper, maybe adjusted slightly one way or the other in varying cross-wind conditions. The original idea for the rudder was for use in sailing but I have never had the 'cajones' to sail her, even though she does have a simple lug sail available. Plus, I just like the way the rudder looks! I have just completed making a new rudder, a retractable type, since these pictures were taken. Better for beaching.

Nice trip and great pics, Mike!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Very nice! Thank you for sharing your trip!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Thanks for this reminder of how much fun rowing can be!
    Samantha