Thread: Anyone Based in Brest?

Default Anyone Based in Brest?

Hi All,

just wondering if anyone here has come local knowledge regarding being based in Brest, Brittany? We're considering basing ourselves there for a stint, and wondering if there is anything to be aware of etc.

I've also asked over on Cruising forum incase ya'll read the same thing there...

R
    R

Default Re: Anyone Based in Brest?

Everyone eats seaweed.

It's a fantastic coast around there. I'd rather be in Douarnenez personally: much prettier, smaller, less industrial.

We visited for the festival two years ago. Seems like a nice city. The Allied Forces pretty much bombed the crap out of it because of the German sub bases there. Great sailing grounds, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    We visited for the festival two years ago. Seems like a nice city. The Allied Forces pretty much bombed the crap out of it because of the German sub bases there. Great sailing grounds, that’s for sure.
    Yea, unexploded ordinance is not high on my list of "things to find while anchoring", lol There are some places we'd also like to base ourselves a little further south, but the 5y waiting list makes it kinda of a no go...
    R

There are some really wonderful areas to sail around there. L'Aber il Dut is an enchanting small river to sail up, have dinner and camp out on a mooring. Expect seaweed with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    There are some really wonderful areas to sail around there. L'Aber il Dut is an enchanting small river to sail up, have dinner and camp out on a mooring. Expect seaweed with everything.
    Man, the seaweed thing really stuck with you
    I've eaten in a few (extremely good) places in Brittany but don't remember the seaweed. I do remember that the food was generally so good as to make me consider buying a house and moving there for the food alone.

But Yeah, we're really looking forward to poking around the region and generally just slowing down and taking some time for us and the kid(s).
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Hi All,

just wondering if anyone here has come local knowledge regarding being based in Brest, Brittany? We're considering basing ourselves there for a stint, and wondering if there is anything to be aware of etc.

I've also asked over on Cruising forum incase ya'll read the same thing there...

R
    What do you need to know ? My wife was born in Brest, but we spend most of our time over there in Concarneau. We are planning on sailing over when we finish building our boat.... hopefully for Brest 2020 ?

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    What do you need to know ? My wife was born in Brest, but we spend most of our time over there in Concarneau. We are planning on sailing over when we finish building our boat.... hopefully for Brest 2020 ?

Cheers,
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Generally just wondering if there are any red flags. Any reason why one wouldn't base themselves in Brest. Yes, the currents can be strong, the tide range high, and the seas around the capes North and South not always the simplest to navigate. But I assume that the marinas in Brest itself are both well sheltered and well maintained. i.e. generally safe if a nasty storm rolls in from the Atlantic.

They seem to have a considerably shorter waiting lists than other places ...
    R

Brest is not a bad place to base oneself for cruising.The Rade de Brest is a large sheltered estuary with two rivers leading off it. The aulne leads inland to Chateaulin that is a pleasant smaaller town.There are two marinas in Brest. South of Brest is Camaret, a very pleasant spot usually our initial calling place on a cruise south.
    On south to Douarnenez and then through the Raz de Sein to the warmer areas round Benodet and Belle Isle. All good. One of the great cruising areas.

Lovely part of the world, but the weather is like Cornwall, it rains a lot We are a bit further south, near Rochefort. Bit flatter, weather much nicer.