Thread: Charles Whipple, his dream, the build and the loss of the boat . Here's the book.

Default Charles Whipple, his dream, the build and the loss of the boat . Here's the book.

I treasure the memories of Charlie working away in my workshop, hammering away at his laptop in the ratty old ( but very comfortable ) armchair in my office, launching the boat, sailing with him on some of the sea trials, and even treasure the memory of the loss.

He became a good friend, and I treasure that more than anything.

He's got the book complete, almost exactly 10 years after the loss, its a great read. Here's the link to the Ebooks version, print will follow soon.
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/900727

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Charles Whipple, his dream, the build and the loss of the boat . Here's the book

I’m looking forward to reading his book. This was an amazing story.

Default Re: Charles Whipple, his dream, the build and the loss of the boat . Here's the book

I think I remember these events occurring. Thanks for the heads up, John.

Peace,
    Robert

I'm unfamiliar with him. How'd he lose the boat?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I was discussing him the other day , context being what a hell it must have been being covered in diesel from the ruptured tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with him. How'd he lose the boat?
    Navigation mistake. But read the book, its a good one.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I got a chance to exchange emails with Charlie when I was working on an article about John Welsford and his designs. I look forward to the print version of his book (too much of a contrarian to go electronic). He had nothing but praise for the Sundowner.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I remember phoning John, partway through my Pathfinder build, as I had a few questions about the sails. There was a sander or something whining in the background - apparently that was Charlie on the job.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Look forward to it!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)