Thread: Fix Or Repair Daily

Unhappy Fix Or Repair Daily

Ford Escape.

Just got the parts to do the next repair :

CV joint axle for front left and two rotors.

Total cost (parts only) to get them in my hands +/-US$410.00

Now to have them installed.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Fix Or Repair Daily

My wife has driven a succession of three Escapes: a 2014, then a 2016, and now, a 2018.... and she's likely to lease yet another one, next month.

Fortunately, we've had no problems in the first 24 months, leasing these vehicles... I couldn't attest to the longer term reliability, though.

Why do we lease? My wife, as you may know, has Parkinson's... and it's unknown how much longer she will be able to drive (although she's still doing well, in that regard). Leasing is NOT an economical way of having a car.... but I want her to have the pleasure of driving a new car every two years, until she can no longer do so.

When we go out together, I usually drive. SUV's are NOT my favorite... but the Escape is 'OK' to drive.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Ford Escape.

Total cost (parts only) to get them in my hands +/-US$410.00

Now to have them installed.
    An axle and some rotors? Installed? Thatís, like, two hours work.

Peace,
    Robert

Cool Re: Fix Or Repair Daily

I can't work on a vehicle unless it's at least 20 years old.
    The newer ones are too complicated and require tools I don't have.
    Just changing the spark plugs on an Escape is major surgery.
    Shipping to your location must be expensive eh?
    Good Luck.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Ford Escape.

You're putting in new brake pads with those new rotors, right?

Found On Road Dead

i picked up my truck at the repair shop yesterday, $2200.00
    tires
    brakes
    two new calipers (corrosion)
    two wheel bearings
    rear lift gate cylinders
    oil change
    air filter
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

This would be why the lad and I have been working on our shared Ranger ourselves. New rotors/pads up front, new drums/pads/lines in rear, shocks all round, outer tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, frame de-rusted and variously renewed, new floors in the cab, a few other bits of body rust cut away and renewed ... Kinda like an old wooden boat, it's a matter for discussion as to when it's actually a mostly new wooden boat.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

quite honestly, replacing rotors/pads is extremely simple, but 'hiring' someone.... expensive. My son in law was quoted $1500 for his car - we did it for less than $200. Same with CV axels etc. If I had to pay a mechanic to do all our family repairs, I'd need a much better job.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    This would be why the lad and I have been working on our shared Ranger ourselves. New rotors/pads up front, new drums/pads/lines in rear, shocks all round, outer tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, frame de-rusted and variously renewed, new floors in the cab, a few other bits of body rust cut away and renewed ... Kinda like an old wooden boat, it's a matter for discussion as to when it's actually a mostly new wooden boat.
    How are you 'de-rusting'? Naval gel? or sanding/blasting?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

A lot of wire brush and cold chisel stuff to get flaking rust off. Frankly, we did that at the very outset of the project to get a sense of whether the frame was too far gone to bother with anything else - and were pleasantly surprised. One spot where we hired a lifelong welding shop owner to make a structural repair, but he gave the frame an inspection and pronounced it surprisingly sound. So after getting it all down to just surface rust, we slathered it in phosphoric acid to stop continuing rusting, then primed and rust painted. I'll follow up by undercoating with a hot application of high-tack chainsaw oil mixed with a bit of extra phosphoric and beeswax, which we'll renew now and again.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I've done the phosphoric acid (naval gel) and paint (rustoleum) - not familiar with the oil/phosporic acid/beeswax - home remedy that you mix up? Or commercially available?

Bought a later-model Civic for one of the girls - hadn't been 'babied', so had some mild rust on the underside/suspension. Surprising how a little care, as above, really cleans this up, and maintains.

This chainsaw bar oil / phosphoric / beeswax application will be new to me this year, but it's pretty common around here. Chainsaw bar oil is formulated to be tacky, so it doesn't fling itself off as the saw operates. High-tack versions are even more this way - so it sticks to a car frame etc really well. The bar oil already has some phosphoric acid in it, and I'll just add a bit more for good measure ... when the mixture creeps into crevices etc, it takes the phosphoric with it. The beeswax just adds some extra durability - takes longer for snow and slush and etc. to wash the stuff off. Essentially, you're making homebrew Cosmoline. They say that for best results you oughta apply this in August, and let hot summer temps encourage the stuff to creep into all those nooks and crannies ... but the truck wasn't ready for it in August.

The claimed advantage over simply rustoleum painting (or even using a truck bedliner product) is that the oil/wax is "self healing," when stones kick up and knock a bit off.

Compared to lanolin?

Cheaper than lanolin, but beyond that? Dad swore by lanolin on the galvanized shrouds of the boat.

I have a 2001 F 150 that has had almost nothing done to it is the 4 years I have owned it. It is a better truck in every way than the 2018 Chev at work except gas mileage. My beast is thirsty. I had a Dodge Dakota before, that was ok, but not really up to the work load I needed to do.

WRT Chain oil....not all chain oil is the same. Some is really thick vicious stuff but some not so much. I go looking for the thick stuff, Not heard of using that on the underbody of a vehicle....how do you apply it

Brush, if you are me. Sprayer with an improvised nozzle, if you have that equipment. Some will get a piece of rubber or plastic tubing that will fit on a hand pump garden Sprayer, put a cork in the far end and cut a few slits or drill a few holes out there. With enough pressure it will spray out the far end, and the tube can be run into tricky spots in the frames, plugged holes in door panels, etc. Not too different from how "fluid film" gets applied, except it has to be done hot enough that the wax (if you use it) stays liquid.

Dunno how to clear out the sprayer after...

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    My wife has driven a succession of three Escapes: a 2014, then a 2016, and now, a 2018.... and she's likely to lease yet another one, next month.

Fortunately, we've had no problems in the first 24 months, leasing these vehicles... I couldn't attest to the longer term reliability, though.

Why do we lease? My wife, as you may know, has Parkinson's... and it's unknown how much longer she will be able to drive (although she's still doing well, in that regard). Leasing is NOT an economical way of having a car.... but I want her to have the pleasure of driving a new car every two years, until she can no longer do so.

When we go out together, I usually drive. SUV's are NOT my favorite... but the Escape is 'OK' to drive.
    I lease a new vehicle every year. My leases are unlimited mileage. The lease covers the vehicle, insurance, maintenance, repairs, taxes & tags. It's also heavily subsidized by my employer. It's one of the better perks of working for the manufacturer since I drive 120+ miles a day and would quickly wear out anything I owned.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

I get my truck done annually by a friend. Air gun, with a hose into the lanolin solution - throw it in the parts washer to clean. $125US for the full-size pickup. Well - since I wait while he's doing it, add a 6 pack of good beer to it. $125 is his normal price too.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I lease a new vehicle every year. My leases are unlimited mileage. The lease covers the vehicle, insurance, maintenance, repairs, taxes & tags. It's also heavily subsidized by my employer. It's one of the better perks of working for the manufacturer since I drive 120+ miles a day and would quickly wear out anything I owned.
    You must spend loads of hours (3 or more) in your vehicle - driving and or stuck in traffic.

Mind you as far as I am concerned, anything over 10 minutes is a long drive/journey.

You must spend loads of hours (3 or more) in your vehicle - driving and or stuck in traffic.

Mind you as far as I am concerned, anything over 10 minutes is a long drive/journey.
    I spend 2-3 hours a day in the car, which is the reason I lease such nice cars. Might as well be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I spend 2-3 hours a day in the car, which is the reason I lease such nice cars. Might as well be comfortable.
    What is your current choice and which is the best one so far?

I make a home brew a lot like what TomF describes, which I call "home made Waxoil"

Gallon of turpentine (or paint thinner), ten or twelve toilet rings, a quart of chainsaw bar oil. Heat it up smoking hot, put it in a cheap garden sprayer, and go to town. I've found it to be extremely effective against rust, and will seep under any scale and actually dislodge it eventually exposing relatively clean metal underneath, which you have to watch out for so you can re-apply the stuff after the scab falls off. And as he said, the stuff is self-healing. Once it's been on the truck for a while it gets a nice coating of road dust which further repels water. While August might be a good time, I usually do it in November due to lack of foresight and I don't see any problems arising from it. I don't do it every year.

Where do people get lanolin in large quantities?

One great thing is that my truck smells like turpentine for a month, but a whole truck smelling like Fluidfilm would be divine. I don't trust Fluidfilm all that much--it seems fairly delicate.

A lot of wire brush and cold chisel stuff to get flaking rust off. Frankly, we did that at the very outset of the project to get a sense of whether the frame was too far gone to bother with anything else - and were pleasantly surprised. One spot where we hired a lifelong welding shop owner to make a structural repair, but he gave the frame an inspection and pronounced it surprisingly sound. So after getting it all down to just surface rust, we slathered it in phosphoric acid to stop continuing rusting, then primed and rust painted. I'll follow up by undercoating with a hot application of high-tack chainsaw oil mixed with a bit of extra phosphoric and beeswax, which we'll renew now and again.

If you've got a burly enough compressor, air tools -- needle scaler and chisel are your friends here.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    If you've got a burly enough compressor, air tools -- needle scaler and chisel are your friends here.
    why i will never buy a used a yankee vehicle again
    once was enough
    rust is a heartbreaker, worse than wood rot

Cool Re: Fix Or Repair Daily

That's why they call it The Rust Belt.
    Salt and rust is a way of life up here.
    Beats sliding into the ditch.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Ford repaired now. US$165.00 for fitting CV, two rotors, sourcing and trying a second hand cv which was wrong model.

Ford repaired now. US$165.00 for fitting CV, two rotors, sourcing and trying a second hand cv which was wrong model.
    That seems reasonable.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Cheaper than lanolin, but beyond that? Dad swore by lanolin on the galvanized shrouds of the boat.
    I use that on Galv 7x7 plough line, warm it gently and soak the wire rope in it. Amazingly resistant to corrosion and once its set up its not sticky.
    Better than Linseed oil.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

What is your current choice and which is the best one so far?
    I have a Challenger now, I had a Charger last year.

the charger was the bomb, one of my favourite cars ever
    the challenger is faster, edgier
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-15-2018 at 07:01 AM.

I use Fluid Film spring and fall on both of my vehicles along with a good wire brushing and rinse in the spring. The frame on the Toyota looks like new except for the weld lines which the previous owner let get a bit crusty.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.