Thread: Anyone hazard a guess as to how many folks in the Fl Panhandle have - - -

Default Anyone hazard a guess as to how many folks in the Fl Panhandle have - - -

homeowners insurance which excludes "named storms"?

Michael is going to be expensive to pick up after, and I saw what Harvey did to Texas a few weeks after the event.

Default Re: Anyone hazard a guess as to how many folks in the Fl Panhandle have - - -

that stretch of the gulf coast is a forgotten place and very rural
    the permanent resident population of panama city is about only 30,000
    there is no important infrastructure like the port of mobile or the port new of orleans further west
    other than spring break panama city doesn't mean a whole lot to the rest of the nation
    moving inland that part of florida, alabama, and georgia is extremely rural
    npr reported this morning the insurance industry is expecting an $8 billion dollar bill from florida, alabama, and georgia from this hurricane harvey cost over $150 billion in houston alone. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Anyone hazard a guess as to how many folks in the Fl Panhandle have - - -

how many towns have been wiped off of the map by this storm?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    homeowners insurance which excludes "named storms"?

Michael is going to be expensive to pick up after, and I saw what Harvey did to Texas a few weeks after the event.
    My guess is none
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    how many towns have been wiped off of the map by this storm?
    It depends on how many maps were left outside during the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    that stretch of the gulf coast is a forgotten place and very rural
    the permanent resident population of panama city is about only 30,000
    there is no important infrastructure like the port of mobile or the port new of orleans further west
    other than spring break panama city doesn't mean a whole lot to the rest of the nation
    moving inland that part of florida, alabama, and georgia is extremely rural
    npr reported this morning the insurance industry is expecting an $8 billion dollar bill from florida, alabama, and georgia from this hurricane harvey cost over $150 billion in houston alone. . .
    I'm wondering how long, how many of these storms, will it take before the insurance companies no longer insure houses in the most vulnerable areas.
    We are beginning to see hints of that here.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

A couple of months ago I spent some time looking at a portfolio of commercial properties in that part of Florida. A lot of them probably got hammered. Sites in Mexico Beach, St. Joe Beach, Port St. Joe, Apalachicola, Eastpoint, Carrabelle, Wewahitchka, Bristol, Greensboro. But if you look at the path Michael took, it through Tate’s Hell, a vast empty area SW of Tallahassee. My mother and sister live S of Tallahassee, and lost power and some tree branches, but otherwise okay. this could have been worse by a factor of 10. I expect the real money damage will be to the north where they don’t expect any hurricane force winds.

No insurance just separates the rich from the really rich. Mexico Beach was a nice little secluded quiet place not really noticed by the vacationers. I would look for it to be more secluded moving forward and more exclusive. There's still plenty of empty slabs on the Mississippi coast from Katrina. Just one example of the many contradictions we find ourselves living.
    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I'm wondering how long, how many of these storms, will it take before the insurance companies no longer insure houses in the most vulnerable areas.
    We are beginning to see hints of that here.

John Welsford
    Well we in the Caribbean (north of Barbados) know about insurance rates.

It also depends on how houses/buildings are constructed. Timber, concrete, brick, concrete block, trailer home, sheetrock interiors, etc.
    Pitch of roof, and type of material. Width of roof overhang/eaves.
    Proper hurricane shutters on doors and windows.
    Etc.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by wsgilliam View Post
    No insurance just separates the rich from the really rich. Mexico Beach was a nice little secluded quiet place not really noticed by the vacationers. I would look for it to be more secluded moving forward and more exclusive. There's still plenty of empty slabs on the Mississippi coast from Katrina. Just one example of the many contradictions we find ourselves living.
    There are still empty slabs in Biloxi and Gulfport from Camille which hit in 1969.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

They must like empty slabs there.
    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.