Thread: what's the largest regatta/craziest start you've sailed in?

Default what's the largest regatta/craziest start you've sailed in?

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: what's the largest regatta/craziest start you've sailed in?

That one looks crazy

Our annual 3 Bridge Fiasco here is crazy. over 300 boats - single and double handed over a course of marks anyway you want to go and in any direction.

King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

E0A14C50-F22B-4CAC-A14B-9C9D52AC83B4.jpg

I still lost, too.

Peace,
    Robert

I was there for this:

I've never raced in an event that size. What a zoo. Impressive levels of skippering to keep it from becoming a total fustercluck!!

My craziest start was a small event. The World Championships for the PDR developmental class. Because the organizer was worried about how many 'probably' folks there were, and how few 'definitely'... he went out and recruited some (mostly inexperienced) skippers and put them into borrowed boats. And then, of course, quite a few of the 'probably' folks showed up. So the course was not very spacious, nor long. And the start was quite crowded. I got tangled at the beginning with one of the newcomers, and didn't detach and cross the start line until most of the folks had rounded the far mark. Thanks to the light wind that day, combined with the huge rig I'd just put on, I managed to make up enough ground to finish 4th. But what a goofy start.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Another view:

I don't race my boat.....

...I might spill my drink
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

The craziest start I remember was due to a crew member arriving so late that the entire fleet had long started when we left the dock and arrived at the starting line. The committee boat was pulling up its anchor, but we talked them into letting us start anyway. What made this memorable was that unknown to us, the lead boat had lost its way and headed about 10 miles off course. Being racers, the rest of the fleet followed in pursuit. The whole fleet was out of our sight, over the horizon, when we started on our course. With no one to follow, we read the race directions. Approaching the finish line, we were perplexed by the large number of sails on the horizon, well behind us. The worst start in memory ended with a first place overall and on corrected time.

I did a few Round the Island races some years ago. Most memorable was 1989 with over 1800 boats starting - whereupon the Cowes hydrofoil decided to blast down the start line (foilborne) until it hit a 23 footer and sank it. Quite an impressive sight from about 200m away.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Another view:

i am in for the next one!
    King Moonraiser:

A couple of decades ago I was in a race for Shields sloops in Newport RI harbor called the Candy Store Cup (before it became a superyacht event). People were wearing tuxedos, ballerina costumes, bikinis and diapers (on the babies aboard some of the boats). The starting line was only long enough for four boats and there were about fifteen in the fleet. Collisions everywhere, over and over. Insanity afloat.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    The craziest start I remember was due to a crew member arriving so late that the entire fleet had long started when we left the dock and arrived at the starting line. The committee boat was pulling up its anchor, but we talked them into letting us start anyway. What made this memorable was that unknown to us, the lead boat had lost its way and headed about 10 miles off course. Being racers, the rest of the fleet followed in pursuit. The whole fleet was out of our sight, over the horizon, when we started on our course. With no one to follow, we read the race directions. Approaching the finish line, we were perplexed by the large number of sails on the horizon, well behind us. The worst start in memory ended with a first place overall and on corrected time.
    Now THAT is funny!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I was out in my 20 footer to watch the start of a Whitbread Round the world race leg here in Auckland, although there weren't so many boats actually starting the race, they say that there were around 5000 boats out there to watch, many of which followed the racers for the first few miles. It was like being inside a washing machine, so many boats, so much wake, so many not watching where they were going. I made the decision early to be elsewhere.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

My most memorable start was in a small club race. I port tacked the entire fleet at the start even though they were sailing much faster boats (my 12' Hobie MonoCat against Hobie 16's, 14's and Coronado 15's). I was the only one who bothered to figure out which end of the line was favored. The rest of them just went for the end that was normally favored based on the usual wind direction on that course.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Another view:

Sacre bleu!! When's the next one???

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Sacre bleu!! When's the next one???
    july 10 - 17 2020! https://tallshipsnetwork.com/events/...de-brest-2020/

you really shouldnt miss it!
    King Moonraiser:

I have taken part in Cowes week once and Travemunde Woche several times;both events routinely have over a thousand boats competing on several courses.From memory,the largest fleet start involved 96 other boats.

Hobart start.jpg

The Sydney-Hobart start is always interesting. In my first few years the whole fleet started together, so we shared the start with the maxis. Just the noise, with a couple of hundred thousand spectators, 2000 (?) spectator boats and a bunch of choppers, is bizarre.

Attachment 24436

The '80s windsurfer marathons wth 400+ competitors were something else. The sport was such big news we got practise at using the downdraft of TV helicopters for added puffs. I think I was fifth in this one and a mate still has my old board that can be seen with my 249 sail number.

As for unusual starts, in the same era we did pro windsurfer surf slalom events where one set of marks would be out the back of the break (ideally, as in the pic below, over the top of the impact zone where mast high waves were breaking) and the others right on the beach. You'd do a zig-zag down the course on a reach. This pic shows the legendary Robby Naish, IMHO the greatest windsurfer and racing sailor of all time, in a mid '80s Sony contest final - I'd been knocked out a couple of round before. The surf slalom started with you holding the board and rig and standing on the beach. At the horn you'd run down the beach, board and rig in the air, and into the water before throwing the board down and stepping onto it with the rig up in the air and sailing away, hopefully in one graceful motion. Of course, if you got it wrong (which is easy since you were running into foam and waves) you'd be accelerating towards 25+ knots when the fin hit the bottom and you'd catapult.

Attachment 24437

One race that only had five starters but sticks in my mind is when running the bow on the 12 Metre Weatherly in the NYYC Annual Regatta. We had Intrepid, Courageous, America II, Weatherly and Columbia on the line, representing six AC wins. It was fantastic to be on that slender bow calling the line and looking down at that fleet. Van der Waal pic.

Alt_Weatherly_Onne van der Wal_webMG_8870.jpg

One of the most bizarre starts is something a friend used to do. There are pro windsurfing events held inside stadiums, where the wind is provided by giant fans and there are jumps that allow windsurfers to loop (as they do off surf waves) in the flooded arena. The races are started on a sloping ramp, with slots for the fin boxes.

Indoor start.jpg