Thread: A little foredeck work for Meg Merrilies

Default A little foredeck work for Meg Merrilies

First, the overview: Windlass and anchor rode rollers mounted. Next will be chocks for the two CQRs in that location. And then somehow engineer a easily step and strike cat head. My intention is that when anchoring each night and not going off-shore or pulling along side a dock just keeping the anchor on the cat head off the side of the bow. In the days of sail, the cat heads provided a good place for the sailor in need to hitch his butt and do his business mostly downwind. Which is why we call it "the head".

Default Re: A little foredeck work for Meg Merrilies

The rollers. That's a through-bolt passing from one roller to the other. It's not wide enough to house the anchors up there - won't fit anyway and I decided I did not want a platform out there.

And finally the windlass. It's up on those blocks because this unit is totally open and I wanted an easy to clean passage under.

The RNLI stow their anchors on a hinged cathead that folds down and out to deploy and recover the anchor.

The recovery rope is made off at the balance point of the anchor and is stopped off along the anchor rode so that when it comes on deck through the anchor chock it can be lead back to the sheave in the cathead and to the capstan. Hauling in houses the anchor and then lifts the cathead davit to its stowed position where safety catches can be clipped over.

Food for thought?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Not that far from one of my thoughts. I am waiting to get the sails on to be sure I have space to work the jib.