Thread: lunch

Default lunch

. . .a yard of long French bread, a sausage out of which the garlic sang, some cheese which lay down and cried, and a long-necked straw-covered flask wherein lay bottled sunshine shed and garnered on far Southern slopes.
    sounds perfect
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: lunch

When I was a student at The School Of Visual Arts in NYC I worked part time as a stock boy at Circle Gallery in SoHo. One of the art dealers was an older impeccably well dressed Italian. One day during lunch he sent me out on a mission.

First, go to Vesuvio Bakery and get a good crispy baguette

Then go across the street to M&O deli and get some nice Vine Ripe Tomatoes and fresh basil

Then go to Joe's Dairy ( now closed ) and get some good fresh still in water "warm" mozzarella

It was all a hop and a skip from the gallery I was back in 10 minutes.

He then pulled out a board, knife, a bottle of good olive oil, balsamic vinegar, some sea salt, a pepper mill, and a already opened bottle of gallery red wine and a couple of water glasses.

He proceeded to teach me how to make a caprese sandwich. It was the most marvelous thing I had ever eaten. He went into great detail explaining how food and lunch in particular was the most important thing in Italy. He said just as important as the fresh ingredients, was who you shared it with and the time you spent. I never forgot those lesions.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Cool Re: lunch

Homemade chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sammich.
    Big pot, probably will last for days.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I never forgot those lesions.
    Great story, Joe!

Ya gotta love a good typo!

Rattling the teacups.

My intro to such foods was a bit like Joe's, but in tiny Astoria, Oregon. A couple of gay guys ran a 'superette' sized grocery at the top of the hill, and I worked for them for a while as a bagboy/shelf stocker/delivery guy.

Great bosses. Funny and full of life. And they loved good food. So they convinced a local bakery to bake baguettes and other specialty breads for them, and they had a huge walk-in cooler with all kinds of interesting meat choices, and more cheeses than I knew even existed. And they supplied lunch when I worked weekends. Typical was bread or crackers, some salami or other meat (or, sometimes, some seafood if they had something special), some sort of cheese, pickles or olives, and a decent wine. They'd let me pick a cheese when I showed up in the morning... to bring out of the cooler and up to room temperature. They picked the rest based upon the cheese I chose. Boy do I miss those lunches.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)