Thread: New Kavenaugh Investigation: is this legit???q

Default New Kavenaugh Investigation: is this legit???q

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: New Kavenaugh Investigation: is this legit???q

John Roberts thinks it’s legit. . .
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Maybe a sign that the SC judges aren't happy about sharing the bench with a sexual deviant?
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

I suppose unhappy defendants and other people make complaints all the time against judges. It'll be up to the 10th Circuit Court to determine if these are credible. I couldn't open the linked article without subscribing, but heard of this on the news.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Aren't these the same cases that were referred to Merrick Garland (Kavanaugh's boss at the Washington DC Court of Appeals)? I believe Mr. Garland recused himself and further action had to be made by his future boss--Justice Roberts.
    So yes, I believe it's a real thing, promulgated by Kavanaugh's peers.

Curiouser and Curiouser………………...

Kav is as pure as virgin snow with sugar on top. A thorough investigation will clear him of all these Soros inspired conspiracies. Trump will, again, apologise for we the people, and Kav will ride off on his tame unicorn.
    Вещи меняются 6 ноября.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Here's a question, not necessarily aimed at Kavanagh but of interest to me who has few clues as to how the US system works.
    "What happens to a supreme court judge who is convicted of a criminal offence"? Would such a person still be considered fit for the posting?

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefrommontana View Post
    Aren't these the same cases that were referred to Merrick Garland (Kavanaugh's boss at the Washington DC Court of Appeals)? I believe Mr. Garland recused himself and further action had to be made by his future boss--Justice Roberts.
    So yes, I believe it's a real thing, promulgated by Kavanaugh's peers.
    You don't have to be a judge to register an ethics complaint, anybody can do it, and lots of people did.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Here's a question, not necessarily aimed at Kavanagh but of interest to me who has few clues as to how the US system works.
    "What happens to a supreme court judge who is convicted of a criminal offence"? Would such a person still be considered fit for the posting?

John Welsford
    John,

the only people who can remove a justice from office, even if he is convicted of a crime by the law, I believe, is the House of Representatives. That process begins with a simple majority vote--unlikely while the House is under Republican control. That may change in November.

Then to convict and remove him, it would take a 2/3 majority vote in the Senate, a virtual impossibility because of Republicans' willingness to accept criminal behavior.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I think it's pro forma. Judges complained to Chief Justice Roberts and he cannot ignore it. It will be evaluated by some independent judges, and dismissed.

More reason to act on my signature.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Yes, this is the follow-up to the blizzard of complaints stimulated by Kavanaugh's under oath statements that do not square with documented evidence. Unlike salacious charges about Kavanaugh's sexual predation but too drunk to screw prep school and college days, which might have risen to misdemeanor had they been reported at the time, factual misrepresentation under oath at the confirmation hearings is a felony. See http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t=#post5693040

Believe one of the original SC justices, James Wilson, was sent to jail twice during his tenure on the bench

Let us hope it is legit. I am quite sure he has lied under oath. I suspect he still drinks too much.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I think it's pro forma. Judges complained to Chief Justice Roberts and he cannot ignore it. It will be evaluated by some independent judges, and dismissed.
    An article posted by CNN seemed to indicate that it was complaints that were not related to misconduct on the bench, but related to public statements. I think we're talking about public complaints about Kavanaugh's demeanor during his testimony.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Demeanor is not ground for impeachment. Perjury at the confirmation hearing is.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Believe one of the original SC justices, James Wilson, was sent to jail twice during his tenure on the bench
    Debtor's prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Demeanor is not ground for impeachment. Perjury at the confirmation hearing is.
    The question is, did his lies rise to the level of perjury?

That is what will be determined by the impeachment.

That is what will be determined by the impeachment.
    In which the House prosecutes and the Senate sits in judgement. Do you think 2/3 of the senate is going to condemn a Republican Supreme Court judge? The same people who confirmed him after listening to his lies would be sitting in judgement. Why would they care during impeachment if they didn't care during confirmation?

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    In which the House prosecutes and the Senate sits in judgement. Do you think 2/3 of the senate is going to condemn a Republican Supreme Court judge? The same people who confirmed him after listening to his lies would be sitting in judgement. Why would they care during impeachment if they didn't care during confirmation?
    I tend to suspect the same thing. But maybe the increasing #'s of people who disapprove of BK's appointment will finally settle in with the honorable Senators...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I tend to suspect the same thing. But maybe the increasing #'s of people who disapprove of BK's appointment will finally settle in with the honorable Senators...
    Nope. They could have scrapped his nomination and put someone else in. Admitting mistakes is not what this group is good at.

Another interesting option is a criminal trial, which would have to be brought forward by a federal prosecutor so that's not happening anytime soon.

Another interesting option is a criminal trial, which would have to be brought forward by a federal prosecutor so that's not happening anytime soon.
    I think Cris is right, nothing will come of it.