Thread: Yes, please. Vote!

Default Yes, please. Vote!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/09/o...d%20Columnists

“My message in this upcoming election is very simple: It’s vote,” Barack Obama told his former speechwriter Jon Favreau in a recent episode of “The Wilderness” podcast. “It’s not that much to ask.”

“This isn’t really a 50-50 country. It’s like a 60-40 country,” Obama continued. “Democrats could and will do even better if every one of your listeners not only votes but makes sure that all your wishy-washy, excuse-making, Internet-surfing, TV-watching, grumbling-but-not-doing-nothing friends and family members get to the polls. Vote.”

Obama was clearly smiling as he delivered the line. But as soon as I heard it, I knew the reaction that many progressives would likely have: Don’t blame us — blame voter suppression! It’s the same reaction that I’ve heard when I have written about the miserably low voter-turnout rates in midterm elections.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Yes, please. Vote!

Someone came to my house today to make sure we vote when we get our ballots next week. I can’t say that has happened before. Then she said she would be back with the Democratic slate. I don’t need it but why not.

Vote!

Indeed. We have been seeing record voting in my little precinct. Unfortunately the majority of those people are not voting for the same people I am, but they are voting.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

When I was young and stupid, I often skipped the midterms. Now I'm old and still stupid, but at least I learned to vote in the midterms!!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I think more is required that just "vote". One must do so in an educated fashion. Having every citizen show up to vote but not knowing who the candidates are, what their platform is and how they wish to run their government is not really any better than a 20% voter turnout. Either option smacks of apathy to me.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I think more is required that just "vote". One must do so in an educated fashion. Having every citizen show up to vote but not knowing who the candidates are, what their platform is and how they wish to run their government is not really any better than a 20% voter turnout. Either option smacks of apathy to me.
    Of course you are correct.

The good news is that the 'Republican' Party has become a pack of criminals so, for a while at least, that's all the education one needs.
    Rattling the teacups.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Don't worry there will be a large voter turnout this year.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks