Thread: metal keel guard

Default metal keel guard

building the shellback and it calls for attaching a metal strip ( brass?) to the bottom of the keel. I had seen it on line some place, but now I can't recall. suggestions of where to find it.?

thanks

David

Try Hamilton Marine. You want brass half-oval, I would think.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: metal keel guard

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Try Hamilton Marine. You want brass half-oval, I would think.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    what Kevin said!
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I've bought all sorts of metallic odds and ends from onlinemetals.com. You'll have to drill and countersink yourself, but the prices and service are good.
    -Dave

Ditto online metals. They ship fast and in tubes, so straight pieces. I just did my whole 15 foot dinghy, stem to stern, including beside CB trunk, about 25 feet, for under 100 bucks. Brass half oval at 3/4 inch.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I get mine from Jamestown Dist. They are in Rhode Island, so delivery will be fast for you. I believe they sell it in 2' and 6' sections.
    If you are bending it around a curve, don't predrill your holes on that part of the brass half-oval as it will kink when you bend it into place.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I am going to add metal guards to the skegs on my CLC Peeler this winter. The boat spend 7 months a year in salt water. Should I use brass, SS or UHDPE?

A couple of things to think about:
    You may get into trouble bending a half-round keel-band too sharply, if eg it goes around the top of the stem, it may deform quite badly. In that case it is better to cut it and solder/weld it together again. Over here, all I could find regarding half round brass was a hollow one which would make the problem even worse; get a solid band if possible.
    Another thing is that metal underneath the keel tends to get the boat stuck if you sail onto a rock, without it you lose some fibres of the keel but at least you can get off the ground easier.

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD Marion View Post
    I am going to add metal guards to the skegs on my CLC Peeler this winter. The boat spend 7 months a year in salt water. Should I use brass, SS or UHDPE?
    That depends on many factors. What is the boat fastened with? Is it floating in the water for 7 months, or just used frequently but stored dry? The biggest problem I've encountered with metal rails / plates is keeping them attached, as scraping and impacts tend to either bend the metal piece or pull fasteners out. Metal should be thick enough to protect the head of the fastener if at all possible. That said, I'd go for SS bar stock if that's what you've used elsewhere and you can drill it -- very hard stuff.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Its a CLC Peeler - okume ply covered with 2 layers of glass cloth on the bottom including the small skids/skegs - no mechanical fasteners. The boat is in the water (Buzzards Bay) from April to November. I live in MA where there are plenty of rocky beaches. The glass cloth on the skegs is pretty easy to wear through. Providing a more durable surface to beaching is my main objective. My plan was to overdrill holes in the skids, fill with epoxy and then screw the guards into the filled holes, using some kind of removable bedding. I am concerned that brass will rot away and was leaning to ss or uhdpe, both of which I can source.

Jeff

I would use one of the high density plastics. Be sure to choose one that doesn't swell too much when wet.

Brass is fine for a trailered boat, but won't last very long on one kept in salt water for the entirety of each season.

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

If the boat will be in salt water, you are better off using half oval or half round bronze as brass will quickly disintergrate in salt water.
    Jay

What are the skegs made from? If ply, trying to use a fastener into the plies won't work well. Seems like one option would be to use solid wood skegs attached with epoxy fillets and possibly glassed up the sides a bit but not on the bottom, probably white oak or some local hardwood, and just let them wear away. Replace when necessary.

The high density plastics tend to shrink and swell a LOT, so as J.Madison said pick one that doesn't. But I'm still not sure how you'd attach anything to a ply skeg (if that's what you have).

BTW I just ordered some 3/4" brass oval half round from onlinemetals, thanks for the recommendations folks!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

For a glued-together boat, you might try kevlar. It works well for canoe skid plates.
    I got some kevlar felt somewhere and vacuum bagged it to get it compacted.
    I've heard that sanding kevlar is like sanding a sheep, so i cleaned it up by planing when the epoxy was green.

It's holding up well on a gravel beach.