Thread: There ought to be a law....

Default There ought to be a law....

1) The national 'do not call' registry is a complete joke... a hoax imposed on the voters, to make them THINK that government is trying to do something about annoying and costly solicitor's telephone calls, when, in fact, the law does NOTHING to punish companies who abuse our telephones. It's yet another case of Congress paying lip service to citizen's issues, while insuring that their corporate donors still get to solicit business on the phone... land line or cell phone, it makes no difference. How about a revision to that law, that imposes FINES for each call?

2) Arbitration clauses in consumer contracts should be made illegal. Virtually every consumer contract one accepts... such as your phone or cable service contract, or pretty much anything to buy or contract for services for, includes an 'arbitration' clause, which, for all intents and purposes, prevents and denies access to the courts, in the case of a contractual dispute. You cannot decide to accept or reject such clauses... they're in the fine print. This kind of the thing should actually be declared unconstitutional, because it denies a consumer access to the courts, for redress of grievances. Aren't the courts a guaranteed constitutional right?

3) Forfeiture of assets, as a result of a criminal arrest, or civil complaint, needs to be SEVERELY restricted. There are many cases of small towns using forfeiture as a means of raising revenues. While forfeiture is a reasonable penalty in cases where there is a conviction or civil judgment, it's often used before any such verdict or judgment has occurred.... a legal means of simply stealing one's assets by the police or prosecutors, without due process. It needs to stop.

Feel free to add to the list.....
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: There ought to be a law....

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Feel free to add to the list.....
    politicians that lie should be fed to alligators in louisiana swamps

- john smith
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

#3 has been covered out here, in California.

Peace,
    Robert

I like your list. I'd be happy to spare some energy on them for a bit.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Regarding 1, we have such a law but it has exclusions……….. so I keep an 'Acme Thunderer' basketball whistle beside the phone…………..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

- john smith
    Can't say that I disagree, but have one practical question... Who would run the government after all the politicians are fed to the gators? I suppose the gators might lose their appetite pretty quickly, so there may be some sleazeballs left after that exercise.

I say, "Hang on a second, I'll be back", then put down the phone and ignore it for 10 minutes.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

- john smith
    You know that will kill the alligators, right?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by ThomRose View Post
    Can't say that I disagree, but have one practical question... Who would run the government after all the politicians are fed to the gators? I suppose the gators might lose their appetite pretty quickly, so there may be some sleazeballs left after that exercise.
    Frankly, I'm quite puzzled by the general acceptance of political lies. We are where that led us, and we complain about where we are.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Because if the lies confirm our prejuduices we support the liar…….
    It enables us to believe what we want to believe. The god pedlars understood that very early and the species mentality hasn't changed.
    Anything but have to be responsible for our own decisions, much easier to shift the responsibility to some mythical being in the sky, tree, water etc.

My new hobby has become fact checking the recent onslaught of TV political ads. It's exhausting
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"