Thread: Helton 1965 17.5

Default Helton 1965 17.5

Hey guys Im new to the forum, and have purchased this 1965
    Helton that I am going to be redoing. My plan is to completely re-power with a 60-90hp, new hydraulic steering, I am going to paint the hull with TotalBoat Kingston gray. I plan on actually using the boat quite often, for booze Cruises I would like to epoxy The woodwork . I keep looking at the totalboat line, of products. Are they as user friendly as it seems. I know I will still need to lacquer over some of the epoxy. Can you recommend what would be best for my situation as well .
    I plan on selling the outboard that was on the boat it was a 100hp meteor. I really want something I can turn key and go. I just donít trust that motor and not much of a mechanic, more a woodworker, if anybody is interested let me know in a pm
    I could really use any thoughts and opinions on the best product to use for the best outcome. Here are a couple pictures of the boat. I just canít get over how sexy the lines are.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Helton 1965 17.5

Wow you have done a thorough sanding! Nice old hot molded boat!
    I might use all 2 part coatings on her.The painted parts.
    Using epoxy and lacquer on the bright woodwork ...re think that option. Conventional varnish or Cetol would be my choice.Using epoxy under a clear coating is not what it's cracked to to be.
    The transom is supported 100% correctly on that trailer...good to see!
    A modern 60hp with power trim will likely perform as well or better than that OMC beast. I would not push that hull shape past 30ish mph.

I agree with what Bruce said (wizbang). Especially about that "epoxy" part, and lacquer really doesn't belong on a boat. I use regular traditional oil based varnish. It holds up well, is easy to repair and easy to strip and start over if needed.

Yes, she is a nice original condition runabout. Enjoy her and keep us posted.

Great boat Huntmarlin! Being in Houston, I'd definitely go for the highest UV varnish I could find for the brightwork. Epoxy is strong and waterproof, but has extremely low UV resistance and breaks down astonishingly fast if unprotected, especially in your high UV area. I think TotalBoat is claiming some pretty high UV resistance on their new varnishes. I've had good luck so far with their Gleam (inside...no UV) and it goes on pretty nicely. Keep us posted

I still have a lot more sanding to do, but the wood is all been solid and haven’t found anything more than a nickel size Of moderate wood rioting, I am going to post a list of the products I just purchased from Jamestown distributors., Going to play with Some of the products on the table I’m working on it’s going to go outside and get ready for the boat.
    Agreed, 30 mph with you. Some of the products on the table I’m working on it’s going to go outside and get ready for the boat.
    Agreed, 30 mph would be top

Got here on the cradle to day and in the Grage 😊
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also went shopping on Jamestown, Iím going to experiment with some of these products before I use them on the boat. Iím going to try the envy 2 part varnish, I hope it goes well
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see the boat's already "kid approved". Perfect opportunity to start 'em young