Thread: The Trumpization of the Republican Party

Default The Trumpization of the Republican Party

One formerly Republican pundit I often hear, is Jennifer Rubin, and she's made a number of perceptive observations about the Republican Party and it's future.... mostly concentrating on how many of the bedrock principles of conservatism have been abandoned, in order to mold the party to conform to Donald Trump. One recent comment strikes me as particularly germane:

Jennifer Rubin: “The Republican Party’s Trumpization is complete. It’s not a conservative party, or a small government party or an anti-authoritarian party (to the contrary!). It has become the caricature of the left from days gone by — all power, no principle, dismissive of courtesy and reasoned persuasion. Anger, not ideas, is its animating force. We have a nativist party that views America not as a creedal nation, but as a white Christian nation that is diminished by immigrants and is threatened by outsiders. If it possesses any coherent philosophy, it is one of victimhood — which in turn justifies any and all bad behavior.”

“Four weeks from this Wednesday (the day after the midterm elections), sorry, will commence the lead-up to the 2020 presidential race. Any Republicans thinking of challenging President Trump because they recoil from the party of Trump is, I hate to break it to them, out of luck. The party wants the mocking cruelty, the attacks on the press and on women, the protectionism and the white nationalism. These things define it.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Re: The Trumpization of the Republican Party

Agreed. It's been said before, but it bears repeating.

Membership in the Republican Party has been shrinking and will continue to. "Lean Republican" women hardly exist anymore. You can see otherwise sensible politicians toeing the Trumpist line because they are afraid of him, and his base should they become agitated. We really are letting 20-25% of the country rule all.

Of course, Trump and Trumpism would remain a niche like the National Party in France if we had a robust and functional Democratic Parrty and capable Democratic potential presidential candidates. We don't.

Booker and Harris disqualified themselves in their shrill and undisciplined approach to Kavanaugh - I've heard that from people ranging from Republican-leaning to true lefty Democrat. Sanders had his moment, Warren may be a good Senator but she's tailor made for Trump to take on as Hillary Part II. The Democrats have no one plausible but Biden, and perhaps someone who emerges from the second tier.

I'm really hoping the Democrats find a centrist, white, male candidate who is disciplined, well-funded and agile enough to pivot with Trump but not climb down into his cesspool. Biden or Tim Kaine would be good starts. Who else fits the mold?

(Yes I know my preference for white male is really wrong. But it's the only way in 2020.)

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Agreed. It's been said before, but it bears repeating.

Membership in the Republican Party has been shrinking and will continue to. "Lean Republican" women hardly exist anymore. You can see otherwise sensible politicians toeing the Trumpist line because they are afraid of him, and his base should they become agitated. We really are letting 20-25% of the country rule all.

Of course, Trump and Trumpism would remain a niche like the National Party in France if we had a robust and functional Democratic Parrty and capable Democratic potential presidential candidates. We don't.

Booker and Harris disqualified themselves in their shrill and undisciplined approach to Kavanaugh - I've heard that from people ranging from Republican-leaning to true lefty Democrat. Sanders had his moment, Warren may be a good Senator but she's tailor made for Trump to take on as Hillary Part II. The Democrats have no one plausible but Biden, and perhaps someone who emerges from the second tier.

I'm really hoping the Democrats find a centrist, white, male candidate who is disciplined, well-funded and agile enough to pivot with Trump but not climb down into his cesspool. Biden or Tim Kaine would be good starts. Who else fits the mold?

(Yes I know my preference for white male is really wrong. But it's the only way in 2020.)
    I'd agree with you about Warren essentially being 'disqualified', but that's mostly because Trump has tagged her with the 'Pocahontas' smear, and she'd never be able to over come that one.

I'm less sure about Booker and Harris, though. I would agree that Harris can come across as shrill.... but Booker is an excellent inspirational speaker.

Biden is 1) too old, and 2) carries his own baggage. Too bad, because he's a terrific guy, possibly the most honest and un-corrupted politician in Washington.

We do have arguments here in the bilge about whether the right approach is for the Dems to go with a hard core left candidate, or a centrist.... Pless is more of the former school... but I can't deny that the clearly left-wing candidates can have a powerful draw. I'd prefer a centrist, myself; I don't think we need a far left candidate to inspire the anti-Trumpers... but we DO need a candidate that can appeal to moderate Republicans.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post

We do have arguments here in the bilge about whether the right approach is for the Dems to go with a hard core left candidate, or a centrist.... Pless is more of the former school... but I can't deny that the clearly left-wing candidates can have a powerful draw. I'd prefer a centrist, myself; I don't think we need a far left candidate to inspire the anti-Trumpers... but we DO need a candidate that can appeal to moderate Republicans.
    I agree with you. When the GOP has moved so far right that a centrist viewpoint is now considered "radial leftwing" we have a serious issue on how to pick candidates. I think a centrist with some left leanings would be perfect. I really hope Booker can do it.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I'd agree with you about Warren essentially being 'disqualified', but that's mostly because Trump has tagged her with the 'Pocahontas' smear, and she'd never be able to over come that one.

I'm less sure about Booker and Harris, though. I would agree that Harris can come across as shrill.... but Booker is an excellent inspirational speaker.

Biden is 1) too old, and 2) carries his own baggage. Too bad, because he's a terrific guy, possibly the most honest and un-corrupted politician in Washington.

Whomever the Dems nominate will be attacked mercilessly, and often dishonestly, by the right, and half, or more, of the voters will believe what the right throws at whomever it is.

I think the only one the Dems can run who, at this point, might be immune is Hillary. Anything new thrown at her would have to be seen as fictional. I think she'd get all the votes she got in '16 AND a lot of votes from those who didn't vote for her but have come to wish they had.

I know I'm a minority here, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

. . . well-funded and agile enough to pivot with Trump but not climb down into his cesspool.
    What does that mean?

If it's necessary, it's not wrong.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    What does that mean?
    Whoever takes on Trump will have to counter his vicious attacks. I would hope that he isn't imitated. A Congressman I worked for, taking about someone courtly and genteel compared to Trump, said "you can't win a p***ing match with a skunk."

I think well-funded is obvious. One might pick different adjectives but I think agile and the ability to pivot with Trump is key. Honestly, I think if I were a candidate I could care less if he made up some stupid nicknames about my bald head or whatever. I'd like a candidate who could repeat his insults, poke a little fun at him/herself, and show by example that word bullies are weak and powerless unless you give them power. Trump will always win at attacking and insulting. I wrote "agile enough to pivot with Trump but not climb down into his cesspool" to try to make that clear.

If it's necessary, it's not wrong.[/QUOTE]

I hate that a women or a person of color is presumptively handicapped in the Age of Trump, where anyone who ranges from misinformed to outright racist/sexist has a friend in the White House with a boxful of racist sexist dog whistles.

What sort of "baggage" could Biden possibly have that compares with Trump's trainload of "baggage".

I like Booker, but if Obama proved one single thing, it's that the average American (and I do mean "average") does not believe ANY black person should be POTUS before THEIR turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    What sort of "baggage" could Biden possibly have that compares with Trump's trainload of "baggage".
    Yes, well the idea that you can run any old fool against the likes of Trump and win, has already been shown to be flawed.
    ‘Rubbish!’ he always said. ‘It’s just a story about rabbits.’”

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    I like Booker, but if Obama proved one single thing, it's that the average American (and I do mean "average") does not believe ANY black person should be POTUS before THEIR turn.
    sadly, I fear you are right. We need to drag the troglodytes out from under their rocks and expose them to the 21st century sun. We are rapidly coming up on the 200th anniversary of the south losing the Civil War. I think it's time they learned that
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama