Thread: A Strategy For Community Problem Solving

Default A Strategy For Community Problem Solving

An interesting approach --

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/o...d%20Columnists

Not long ago, in Spartanburg, S.C., I visited the offices of something called the Spartanburg Academic Movement (SAM). The walls were lined with charts measuring things like kindergarten readiness, third-grade reading scores and postsecondary enrollment.

Around the table was just about anybody in town who might touch a child’s life. There were school superintendents and principals, but there were also the heads of the Chamber of Commerce and the local United Way, the police chief, a former mayor and the newspaper editor.

The people at SAM track everything they can measure about Spartanburg’s young people from cradle to career. They gather everybody who might have any influence upon this data — parents, religious leaders, doctors, nutrition experts, etc.

And then together, as a communitywide system, they ask questions: Where are children falling off track? Why? What assets do we have in our system that can be applied to this problem? How can we work together to apply those assets?

There are a lot of things I love about this approach...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: A Strategy For Community Problem Solving

Proper "joined up thinking". Spoken of often and practiced rarely. I like it.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

sounds liberal
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    sounds liberal
    Or maybe even worser...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

yikes
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Sounds like a community, to me. Mighty suspicious root word in community...

Peace,
    Robert

Sounds kinda weird to me, spooky and scary. Total control freaks. A bit like the industrial psychologists of the 60s who thought they understood everything about time and motion and what motivates people at work. Totally bonkers.

Any results?

Sounds expensive and time consuming.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Sounds expensive and time consuming.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, but the problems that are being addressed are very difficult, persistent and not solved by inexpensive and quick efforts.

It seems obvious to me that social problems require comprehensive, long-lasting and wide-ranging community-based solutions. Hillary was on the right track when she said that thing about it taking a village to raise a child. It takes a village to fix problems in the village.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    Proper "joined up thinking". Spoken of often and practiced rarely. I like it.
    Email your 'representative' with this, see if you get a reply………………….

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Yes, but the problems that are being addressed are very difficult, persistent and not solved by inexpensive and quick efforts.

It seems obvious to me that social problems require comprehensive, long-lasting and wide-ranging community-based solutions. Hillary was on the right track when she said that thing about it taking a village to raise a child. It takes a village to fix problems in the village.
    My concern I suppose with this idea of a bunch of well meaning village elders is that they will get together and say well we've done what we can with the schools, we've got parks and sporting facilities and whatever,-most kids seem to be doing great. So we haven't failed, no sir, not us. You know what? its the parents, this kids parents have let him run off the rails, they don't seem to care, its causing a problem for the whole community, lets call in Social Services and get the brat taken into proper care. Its a lynch mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    My concern I suppose with this idea of a bunch of well meaning village elders is that they will get together and say well we've done what we can with the schools, we've got parks and sporting facilities and whatever,-most kids seem to be doing great. So we haven't failed, no sir, not us. You know what? its the parents, this kids parents have let him run off the rails, they don't seem to care, its causing a problem for the whole community, lets call in Social Services and get the brat taken into proper care. Its a lynch mob.
    Isn't that exactly what has happened already? Federal, state and local government entities have gotten together and created social service programs and education plans/standards and they're built parks and sporting facilities and recreational programs for the kids and there are still significant problems. Many kids are still not learning and many kids are still causing social problems. All of the government experts working so long and hard on the problems of poor performing schools haven't solved it and yes, they have (rightfully so, IMO) raised the issue of parental involvement - or the lack thereof - as being a contributory factor. So they do call in the social services folks in some cases (again, rightfully so, IMO) because they don't know what else to do.

Complex human problems require complex answers. Complex answers require collaboration and cooperation across a variety of different disciplines/areas of expertise. People living in communities know their communities better than anyone at the state or federal levels. With proper support and encouragement, local people drawing on a variety of personal expertise and experience working cooperatively on local issues are going to be more effective than any one-size-fits-all solution thought up in the state capital or in Washington DC. The trick is to coordinate the efforts of local people with state and federal entities so that they're all working together effectively.

Anyway, what's the difference between "this idea of a bunch of well meaning village elders" working to solve local education problems and different "bunch(es) of well meaning village elders" that we call city or town councils, selectmen, zoning boards, conservation commissions, school committees, etc. who work to solve all sorts of other local problems ? If you really think about it, all of our elected officials are just "a bunch of well meaning village elders" and yet we expect them to come up with answers to our problems. The problem is not that such people are in these positions. The problem is that they seldom work in any kind of large scale cooperative and coordinated way across areas of responsibility and expertise.
    Last edited by BrianY; 10-10-2018 at 01:01 AM.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sounds kinda weird to me, spooky and scary. Total control freaks. A bit like the industrial psychologists of the 60s who thought they understood everything about time and motion and what motivates people at work. Totally bonkers.
    Yep, my first thoughts on reading it were about how much I dislike groupthink.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.