Thread: Plywood Repairs

Default Plywood Repairs

Have a 14í plywood sloop with a leak in the transom and possible along dagger board tunnel, see pictures (tunnel and upside transom). Need advice on how to fix. Previous owner used what looks like epoxy. Iím use to kayaks and composite hulls; plywood is all new to me. Can someone steer me in right right direction?
    5D23C82A-061E-4F8B-9E81-E53AE2BFDED0.jpg ABC02C55-4FFB-4F0B-A104-30FDAE568744.jpg

Thanks,
    Phil

Default Re: Plywood Repairs

looks like may need a new transom.....
    remove paint to see what is going on there
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

New transom is easier than repairs, cut a little oversize unless you are a better woodworker than me, and don't presume that it's absolutely symmetrical. I am refurbishing a 1961 sailing dinghy that is from the look of that, in better nick. I'd have a careful look at the framing in the area, and get rid of the paint if you can. There might be some ugly stuff under those patchings as it's an area where water is inclined to pool. I replaced the whole transom and rear deck framing as it was easier than a repair. It's a plank bottom I see? A new transom and framing will enable you to get a good look at the plank ends as well.

I'm no expert I might add, it's just that I'm doing the same repair as you more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    looks like may need a new transom.....
    remove paint to see what is going on there
    When I remove the blue paint (assuming you mean on the lower mount for the tiller), what should I be looking for? I can see that there has been some fill work done there. If the transom needs to be replaced, do I need to remove the screws on the transom or might I suspect there is there some additional added as well? After that do I cut a new piece of plywood a bit over size, seal and attach then trim to size. Any recommendations on special type/grade of plywood and sealant?

thanks,
    Phil

As above, don't be timid. Just start chopping away at anything that's suspect. The bottom planking next to the transom needs to be examined, too. Tapping the wood with a plastic mallet and poking at it with an awl is also telling. If the mallet lands with a thud or the awl sinks in, you have wood that needs to come out.

You want marine grade plywood if you can find it. I don't know what sources are available in your area.
    -Dave

Wouls a picture of the inside help? I did notice a small soft spot (size of dime) in center rear of the cockpit where the transom attached to rest of hull. If the transom needs to be replaced, do I need to remove the screws on the transom or might I suspect there is there some additional added as well?

After that do I cut a new piece of plywood a bit over size, seal and attach then trim to size. Any recommendations on special type/grade of plywood an d sealant?7BC9076A-B472-4806-8552-6C8E8C015AD9.jpg

thanks,
    Phil

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I think one step at a time.
    Everything seems hidden under paint, old varnish and goop. Start sanding/grinding/scraping that back to the wood so you can have a close look.
    It's probably worth doing this in any case so you can paint/varnish it back up properly - it won't be a wasted effort.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Will be a State XC meet this weekend but will work on the transom in this area this coming week and post what I find-thank you.