Thread: Jet drum sander in Canada

Default Jet drum sander in Canada

I would love to have the Jet 10-20 plus drum sander,it seems perfect for my needs but for one little detail........ I can't buy in Canada!!! some trade name ownership blather But still here I am money in hand and no sander. Have any of the Canadians here managed to find a way around this?
    Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
    ...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Default Re: Jet drum sander in Canada

Try the General/General International version?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I wish but its overall size and the fact it weighs 298 lb rule that one out. A big advantage to the Jet is its compact size, I just don't have the room for a larger one.

Can you buy used and bring it across? This is on the Portland CL: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...716673801.html

There are a ton of mail/shipping places in Blaine that are used by Canadians for exactly this. I don't know if any of them can receive heavy freight deliveries, but that would be where I would start.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

The other wrinkle in this is that my passport has expired,otherwise I'd pick the sander up at the Bellingham Home Depot and bring it back. It's enough to make a guy go back to drinking...almost.

Thanks for the help guys. Gib, the Shop Fox is one I'm considering. It gets mostly good reviews, is the right size and a decent price. I'm disappointed in Jets attitude about selling in Canada, population wise sort of like saying we won't sell in California.
    Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
    ...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Have you tried the one you intend to buy? One horse isn't a whole lot when it comes to drum sanders. More horses is more better. I've got the Jet 16-32 with 1 1/2 horses and and can't take off more than 1/128" in a pass on a 4 inch board. One horse is going to make for some very protracted sanding sessions. Also you should look for one with integrated sanding speed control like the set up on the jet. It's very easy to bog down a drum sander and ruin a board. The Smart Sand feature on the Jet helps a lot.
    Last edited by Dusty Yevsky; 10-09-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    I've got the Jet 16-32 with 1 1/2 horses and and can't take off more than 1/128" in a pass on a 4 inch board. t.
    Really?!? I have one (16-32) and I can take a good .020/pass with 60 grit. But I do use a pretty slow feed rate for that. I also use dust collection and make sure the bag is clean before I start a session.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    Have you tried the one you intend to buy? One horse isn't a whole lot when it comes to drum sanders. More horses is more better. I've got the Jet 16-32 with 1 1/2 horses and and can't take off more than 1/128" in a pass on a 4 inch board. One horse is going to make for some very protracted sanding sessions. Also you should look for one with integrated sanding speed control like the set up on the jet. It's very easy to bog down a drum sander and ruin a board. The Smart Sand feature on the Jet helps a lot.
    I've not found a retailer with a sander set up to try and the Jet brand is not available here. I'll have to trust the online reviews for the small Shop Fox that say it's capable of what I need.That said I've ordered the Shop fox from amazon canada, It won't arrive for 3-4 weeks so here I wait patiently.

If you're in a hurry Will I can run whatever you need thru the Performax 16/32 here. More guitar stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    If you're in a hurry Will I can run whatever you need thru the Performax 16/32 here. More guitar stuff?

Yep, more ukulele stock,the first one has turned out well enough that I'm going to try a second one and then?Who knows. Thanks for the offer but I have lots I can do before needing the sander.