Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Referring to MAGA, when was America Great?

Default Re: Referring to MAGA, when was America Great?

yeah that was good **** wasn't it?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Are there still people who believe the space race was about more than being able to drop a bomb anywhere?

Why else would countries still brag about orbiting folks? Hey! Look over here! We can drop a bomb from space, too, now...

Of course, the science and all that, but it had to get paid for. Benevolence of man is a hard sale, whereas fear mongering and war drumming?

Peace,

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Of course, the science and all that, but it had to get paid for.
    yes by god, neil degrasse tyson is a right winger
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    yes by god, neil degrasse tyson is a right winger
    Did you seen him on Joe Rogan? Haha. Columbus is a d$#@. Heís a funny dude.

Didn't he write a book about the military and science being bedfellows?

Peace,
    Robert

Maybe not so military, Rob. ICBMs were a thing by 1958: their potential was known.

I see the Space Race more as an expensive pi$5ing-up-the-wall contest, designed to sell Brand Capitalism or Brand Communism to curious third parties.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Maybe not so military, Rob. ICBMs were a thing by 1958: their potential was known.

I see the Space Race more as an expensive pi$5ing-up-the-wall contest, designed to sell Brand Capitalism or Brand Communism to curious third parties.

Andy
    To me, the space race isnít the moon landing. To me, the space race is the race to fire a thing into space, circle the globe, then retrieve it. The ensuing task being to fire people into space.

Being able to orbit an object and land it wherever is the basis of an icbm, and certainly an offshoot of the rockets into space program.

What is a Soyuz, really, but a big V2?

The moon race was a different kettle of fish. By the by, Iíve had the privilege to see an ACTUAL Apollo capsule, and put my hands on it. What a load of loonies, and wee little things, too.

I think astronauts are glorious maniacs, exhibiting all that is human. A simultaneous disregard for the frailty of existence, while pushing the very limits of existence, for no reason other than to LIVE!

We are strange, wonderful creatures, arenít we?

Peace,
    Zorak

So because of this thread, I started a similar one on an archery forum whose members are very conservative. I asked those over there what exactly the "Again" meant in MAGA. The response that I got from them is as follows:

Thatís easy to answer....trump told us all throughout his campaign, almost Every time he gave a speech. Areas in which we once thrived in were decreasing. He wanted that back. He told us that.
    Jobs. Getting unemployment DOWN, decreasing redundant government regulations, bringing back manufacturing to the US, decreasing taxes, decreasing government bureaucracy , boosting the military, stopping isis, getting us out of bad deals, making our ďalliesĒ pay their way in nato, and promote trade policies that benifit the US. He also told us he would get our GNP above 4% and was laughed at by every news outlet and our sitting president. Now, we are thriving again at levels we were told we would not see again.

Now, none of them would offer a time when that actually existed in America, I am sure for fear that if they did, it would also coincide with the times in our nation when human rights abuses were at an all time high, and while they like a strong economy, not all of them want to (publicly state they favor a) revert to downright racism.

For a good time, check out the anything and everything section over at archery talk dot com. That place could use some logic.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post

Andy
    Sort of. The Space Race was really about trying to bankrupt the Soviet Union. Our politicians knew the Soviets would play the "Try to keep up with the Joneses" game. So we very publicly shared what we were doing with our space program and let slip in secret falsehoods about our nuclear program, all to encourage the USSR to spend money they didn't have on stuff they didn't need.

And now, it is Russian rockets that are taking American astronauts to the space station. (On a good day, anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by cglynn View Post
    Sort of. The Space Race was really about trying to bankrupt the Soviet Union. Our politicians knew the Soviets would play the "Try to keep up with the Joneses" game. So we very publicly shared what we were doing with our space program and let slip in secret falsehoods about our nuclear program, all to encourage the USSR to spend money they didn't have on stuff they didn't need.
    And you guys burned up $6,000,000,000,000 since WW2 to do it! ... VICTORY!

(Imagine what your health service today could have been like?)

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    when we saved yíalls asses in wwii we was pretty great
    MAAGAUSSR?
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    He said, donning his 2nd best troll hat <G>
    I think of it as the "Homer Simpson gambit"

Meaningless mantra as it stands, but answers to the question bring out interesting glimpses of individual values.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    In that this longing for a golden past seems to be the basis for Trump's whole message, when was America Great? A specific year or decade please.
    The seventeen seventies, peaked as an idea and been downhill ever since.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

I have to admit that I had hoped for a few contributions from Rick-Mi or SB but apparently the question to difficult .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I have to admit that I had hoped for a few contributions from Rick-Mi or SB but apparently the question to difficult .
    Like Cglynn said it’s not a time. The lack of an actual time allows the listener to make the first step in accepting the message by filling in the blanks, “yeah, when things were better”.

The fact that these people could clothe their kids and buy things for themselves in the 80’s with less expensive goods is lost on them. “ yeah, I wish everything was more expensive and automation hadn’t reduced labor costs”. Trump is offering a free lunch and they believe it.

Point made.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Fall of 1962, I was entering the freshman class at Michigan State University. Detroit's economy had doubled the metro population in 10 years; built the first regional shopping center; launched the national freeway system. A local house builder was on its way to becoming the largest in the nation. The space program in Detroit was about to put the first American in space, followed by the first man on the moon. Tuition at MSU was $85 a term--about four days pay on the assembly line. The hospital and doctor bill for a week in intensive care for a premature birth was $750. Martin Luther King was at the peak of his form. JFK was in office. The Edmund Fitzgerald, built four years earlier, was the queen of the lake fleet. What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Fall of 1962, I was entering the freshman class at Michigan State University. Detroit's economy had doubled the metro population in 10 years; built the first regional shopping center; launched the national freeway system. A local house builder was on its way to becoming the largest in the nation. The space program in Detroit was about to put the first American in space, followed by the first man on the moon. Tuition at MSU was $85 a term--about four days pay on the assembly line. The hospital and doctor bill for a week in intensive care for a premature birth was $750. Martin Luther King was at the peak of his form. JFK was in office. The Edmund Fitzgerald, built four years earlier, was the queen of the lake fleet. What could go wrong?

Already too wrong for too long.

He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association