Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a Tiny Tot in the garage ?

Default Anyone got a Tiny Tot in the garage ?

I know, they are available new and I should have bought it long ago. But I didn't realize their inventory control would be .... less than optimum Three to four weeks delivery at this time.

So if anyone has one in the garage waiting for the decks and planking to be finished, I'd happily buy now and replace with a new one when Fatsco has them in stock again. Or order now, you'd get later. Whatever.

The slightly larger one might be okay too ... or something similar might be interesting.

thanks

Default Re: Anyone got a Tiny Tot in the garage ?

I have two Fatsco Pets. Sorry I won't part with them! One is an original Pet, completed with the galvanized iron heat shield. I have had that one for over fifty years! The other is a more modern version of the same stove and has a ss heat shield. It will go into "Bright Star" soon and the older one will go into my drafting room. These amazing little heaters originally burned coal but, I plan to use pressed sawdust log cut offs. They make less fuss and put out an amazing amount of BYU's. I spoke to Julia at Fatsco last Friday she told me that I should be very happy to have the old stove that was made by the original inventor of the stoves, Mr. Brown.

Another nicely made stove is made by my friend Andrew who owns the Navigator Stove Works and lives on Orcas Island. He makes several small stoves plus one that is a larger cook stove, the "Halibut". This little gem sports an oven that is capable roasting a chicken or baking a batch of biscuits. Andrew also makes a larger stove, the Fisherman. It has four fire holes and an oven as well.
    http://www.marinestove.com/
    Jay

I don't. I would check ebay and craigslist. I just did, there is one on ebay now.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toy-Tiny-To...YAAOSw8MJbuQLN

If you miss that one, there are probably stoves you could build pretty quickly, or other small camp stoves. I use a mantle lamp to heat my boat.

That looks to be a good deal if it isn't gone yet! The price is right!
    Jay

The Cubic Mini wood stoves are very well made. They come in two sizes. The SS heatshield/bulkhead mount is also very nice.
    https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

The big advantage over the tiny tot is that you can see the fire through the glass door of the Cubic Mini.

There are a bunch of videos here: https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/pages/videos

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    The Cubic Mini wood stoves are very well made. They come in two sizes. The SS heatshield/bulkhead mount is also very nice.
    https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

The big advantage over the tiny tot is that you can see the fire through the glass door of the Cubic Mini.

There are a bunch of videos here: https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/pages/videos
    That's the stove I will be putting my boat in the next few months.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    there is one on ebay now ...
    Thanks, it's feast or famine ! And a chummy, too !

Two days ago nothing, now they are coming out of the woodwork. Also a Dickinson Newport solid fuel locally for cheap. But the tot is more suitable for this boat.

Petrel pointed to this one, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else but looks really nice, in an industrial way. But $$$$$

https://rwrope.com/classic-boat-supp...hot-pot-stove/

What sort of boat (perhaps I am being presumptive...but this is the WoodenBoat Forum) are you planning to install the Tiny Tot in?
    These are relatively small stoves. If you are heating a large area, or in a particularly cool climate, you may want a few more BTU's. I have a Tiny Tot and love it. I prefer charcoal as fuel, particularly 'lump hardwood' more heat and less ash than briquettes. Regular wood bits are fine. I do not like compressed wood products, the fire is more difficult to control....burning really hot, and difficult to slow down.
    I think the stove on eBay looks perfect if you can get it....

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    What sort of boat (perhaps I am being presumptive...but this is the WoodenBoat Forum) are you planning to install the Tiny Tot in?
    For now let's just say she's slightly less practical than an Eel ... I figure maybe 350 cubic feet. If it gets really cold I can always kick on the 671 that shares the stateroom

The main trouble is, there's no room for anything bigger. Even the smallest Dickenson would be something of a squshed fit. The old Hi Seas that's only a few inches deep would maybe be nice but problematic to get a functioning one. I'll shoot for the tiny on fleabay and see what happens. Thank you.

I use an Aladdin Lamp and the propane oven to heat WS' cabin. (I know all the arguments against propane)
    The coldest night I've spent aboard dropped to about freezing. I heated the cabin to the low 60s before putting out the flames and going to bed. It was about 42 when I woke in the morning, but I was comfortable in a fleece blanket and sleeping bag. For winter sailing, I rarely go out when the temp is below 45f. I can warm the cabin enough to be comfortable in winter clothing. For all of this I close off the forward cabin but leave the forward vent halfway open. I also use a CO detector/alarm. If you're not living aboard below freezing, a little heat goes a long way. In a previous smaller boat, two bodies and a candle kept the cabin warm while outside dropped below freezing.

I have always used a damper in the lower stack pipe with my Fatsco Pet. This, combined with the stove door adjustable vent allows good control over the pressed wood logs I use. I find the pressed sawdust logs made by Tacoma are easy to cut into blocks using my bandsaw. One thing that these logs do not offer are slivers.
    I find that kind of nice!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-10-2018 at 11:52 AM.

How much time do you spend tending a little stove like that? Seems like you'd have to feed it a lot.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I feed mine, on the average, of once an hour.
    Jay

I can generally get a good burn for about 4 hours with charcoal, though I probably actually feed it more like 2 hourly. With wood I would agree with Jay, about hourly. The exact times will vary somewhat depending on how much heat you need to generate. On a cold night the burn time can diminish quite a bit.
    Of course ventilation is critical. CO (carbon-monoxide) is a killer. Some of the newer heating solutions have a closed system, where the combustion air is drawn down the outer wall of the flue (preheated) and the inner portion of the flue of course is the exhaust. This means there is no cabin air being used in combustion, and massively less risk of CO accumulating in the people space. This kind of closed system is not possible with a Tiny Tot or is at least much more difficult.

I would expect that that type of combustion air supply would cool the exhaust pipe so much that condensation inside the pipe (creosote) would be a constant problem. I'd just add a PVC or ABS fresh air supply pipe that exhausted right at the stove. A shut off valve in the pipe just inboard of where it enters the cabin would be nice to have once the place is warm and the fire is entirely out.

Speaking of creosote, I would use double wall insulated pipe outboard of the cabin. That will also provide hotter exhaust under the chimney cap thereby avoiding creosoting there too. It's not nice to have it dripping all over everything.

Creosote may not be a problem with charcoal or pressed sawdust logs, I don't know.

I have yet to get any stack coating of Creosote resulting from butning sawdust logs. But I have gotten it from burning fir, pine and larch logs.
    Jay

I can heat my little yawl (slightly larger than Eel) with a small lantern.

This one below will force me to open the hatch...
    I use liquid parrafin, a high quality lamp oil sold as restaurant supply it smells like a candle. (What passes for kerosene these days will make me sick)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I can heat my little yawl (slightly larger than Eel) with a small lantern.

This one below will force me to open the hatch...
    Those are pretty. I have a couple of more industrial-appearing lamps (A Wilcox-Crittenden that's pretty cool) but alas, they only take the edge off. An old HiSeas popped up that I am going to try - it's shallower than anything else I've seen, which makes it more suitable for the place I need to put it.

Now all I need is a manual

grazie all for pointers, I did find that there are quite a few more brands than usually mentioned. There's a nice Taylor hereabouts that someone listed for $600 but admitted they'd be happy getting $350 for. Twenty minutes after I bought the hi-seas ... I bet it'd be great on Amazon. Neat little diesel heater.

This is Larry and Linn Pardy's stove in their last boat, "Talliesyn". It contains a large circular wick burner that is fed Kerosine from a day tank.
    Jay

HI All this on Ebay Looks like the one that was converted and used on Pardy's boat.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wor...4gU:rk:15:pf:0

looks efficient,compact and at a reasonable cost.. Clever,,

Jotul 602 for our boat. Had a similar Waterford one on our last boat and it worked amazing.

Cheers,
    Mark

Looks small enough .looks very nice too.
    A 'Faversham '

Sadly that Aladin wick stove has been discontinued so Ebay is the only place they can be found unless a garage or estate sale coughs one up.
    Bird

looks to be a Valor 525 Made in the UK ,This looks to be the one Larry P. used .
    Doesn't look to be a major project to convert it to a vented boat stove. Wicks are available here.
    http://www.milesstair.com/by_make/VA...aters.html#500

This site has wicks for just about any kerosene stove or lantern you can think of, and it is full of esoteric information concerning them...

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_heaters.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Jotul 602 for our boat. Had a similar Waterford one on our last boat and it worked amazing.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Wow Mark you must have a goodly sized boat to float that Jotul 602! It weighs as much as some Diesel Marine engines!
    Jay

The Ebay one went for $91. Someone here?
    There's another now, not a Tiny Tot though.

Hi Jay,

The last boat was 36' LOD... here is a picture from the interior. Our next boat is 51' and much heavier.

Cheers,
    Mark
    inside7.jpg

Ah yes, I suspected you have a comfortable boat that the stove keeps toasty.
    Very nice!
    Jay

The Ebay one went for $91. Someone here?
    There's another now, not a Tiny Tot though.
    Check that seller's store, he had 3 similar stoves. It looks like they are popular in his area for ice fishing shanties, and no, I didn't bid on any of them.

Thank you. As much as I would love a wood stove on WS, it would mean removing some interior furniture. She simply isn't laid out for it.

Thank you. As much as I would love a wood stove on WS, it would mean removing some interior furniture. She simply isn't laid out for it.
    Even with the Cubic Mini’s bulkhead mount?

I could put it where the Aladdin is, but I like the lamp there. It provides heat and light, and has been aboard since the early days.

Hi Jay,

We just dropped in the 602 in our new boat - not finished, but just to heat for fit out this winter.

Mark

woodstove.jpg