Thread: Boat tent designs for Caledonia Yawl or similar small yawl / ketch?

Default Boat tent designs for Caledonia Yawl or similar small yawl / ketch?

I'm curious as to what other folks have done regarding tents for Caledonia Yawls and similar boats. I'm not eager to drop big bucks on having a commercial one made, but may go that route if it's the only way to get something that fits well and is reliable.

I got lots of great advice at last month's Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival and took pics of many of the boat tents in use there during the intermittent rainshowers. But I'm curious as to what's been used on actual CYs...

I know that most recommend having the tent lower at the front so the boat will set properly at anchor from the bow, and also recommend having it extend over the gunwales with space for ventilation. But I prefer tents that are taller and more comfortable if at all possible!

My FB album from the show - https://www.facebook.com/david.luckh...8963646&type=3

I picked up a cheap coated poly replacement top for a 10x20' easyup and made a rough tent with poles scavenged from old tents and flea markets, and set it up during some rain at the TSCA Marshall Beach campout a few weekends ago. It worked but was of course quite pushed around by the wind when sideways to the wind. It provides standing headroom -- just. I know it is ugly and too tall, but with the dimensions of the easyup top I can't make it any shorter without having fabric dragging in the seawater. Again this is just a rough test piece, not any sort of final design!

Last edited by Thorne; 10-08-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Boat tent designs for Caledonia Yawl or similar small yawl / ketch?

While I like the idea of finding a "ready-made" (i.e. adapting a backpack tent), you have got to ask what will happen when it is blowing 20 kts or even 30. My design for UNA adopted ideas from studying several posted here. It has gone through many such blows now without failure or leaks. Made of Surlast, I used and old sewing machine to fabricate and snap fasten under the gunnel. A light line also tightens this edge. Bow portion can be removed. Ridge is given additional support from main halyard. Water easily sheds. Boat wonderfully weathercocks. I don't see how you can cruise without a good tent. Tarps won't work. Might as well toss those backpack tents overboard. That is where they will go anyway.
    More here: https://lingeringlunacy.files.wordpr...0770.jpg?w=640

My Sooty and other boats: https://lingeringlunacy.com/

Hey Thorne,

You've seen the tent on Puddles, may not be the way you want to go but I'm happy with the method of using fold-down arches with parts of the tent attached, and a snap-in center section:

Assembly pictures on a Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricks_...h/18776497541/

For fabric, the dodger part of mine is the completely waterproof, heavy, sturdy, tearproof and easy to make up using vinyl cement Sailrite Shelterite material. Not good for the whole tent as it does not breath.

The major part of the fabric is Weathermax (recommended by McMullen). It's like a light weight and somewhat cheaper Sunbrella. Need to sew it, though.

Rick

Since McMullen may not be checking in often, here's a picture of Rowan's tent. Looks like stand-up height at one end only, I remember he says it weathercocks nicely. Made from the Weathermax fabric and well tested in PNW weather:

Quote Originally Posted by EeBe4 View Post
    I don't see how you can cruise without a good tent. Tarps won't work.
    Dang it! Why didn't you tell me that before I logged a few thousand cruising miles with my 8' x 10' tarp?!?!?

DSCF7347.jpg

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

We'll try and do better next time, we promise...

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Dang it! Why didn't you tell me that before I logged a few thousand cruising miles with my 8' x 10' tarp?!?!?

Tom
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Here's what I did. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...sing&highlight=

Roomy and comfortable. We've been pretty happy with it over the years.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post

Very nice! I had a mockup very similar to your crossed pole support, before going with the folding dodger. Yours looks much better for a taller, roomier tent - mine is a lower solo sleeper with just enough room for sitting but not standing. (Mine does stay up at 60 mph towing behind the car, for what that's worth - since I'm not going out in that kind of wind!)

Rick

I admit to knowing nothing about boat tent details.I do wonder about the notion that the tent has to be higher at the back though.Surely if the windage of the hull plus tent is all downwind of the mooring cleat or fairlead,the boat will stream to the wind.The double ender from Thorne's album seems to have a nearly horizontal boom and the tent looks a lot like boat covers I have seen often on local wooden river cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post

Jim,

thanks for that--your tent looks great. How do you attach it to the gunwale--straps? Can you loosen the straps and rig it awning style?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Roger Barnes has a nice boom tent on his Ilur, he sets it up in this video:

One of the nice things about a yawl rig is having two ends of the tent held up high, you get a bit more sitting room that way. The trade off is windage of course.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

DSCF7347.jpg

Tom
    To each his own I guess (is that allowed anymore?). Looks like a wet night to me. Keep at it-
    My Sooty and other boats: https://lingeringlunacy.com/

Grammarians allow it, especially since it's a "he" in context. And yes, it looks wet--but turns out to be completely dry beneath, though roomy enough only for a solo sleeper.

Though I anchor in such tiny sheltered coves that wind has not been a problem, admittedly.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Jim,

thanks for that--your tent looks great. How do you attach it to the gunwale--straps? Can you loosen the straps and rig it awning style?

Tom
    Staps to the gunwale attach it to the boat and it will fold out awning style with th straps loosened.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

DSCF7347.jpg

Tom
    Tom,

I'm sure this works for you, but where does rain runoff go? Looks like the tarp does not extend past the cockpit, does water just run to the bilge and get pumped out?

Rick

Yep, that's the drawback. But the sleeping platform stays dry; it's actually quite a bit better than it looks in that photo. In the shot below, the foot (really the whole port side) is not tensioned properly, but you get the idea:

DSCF7435.jpg

This is quite like using a tarp for a backpacking shelter--better protection than people think. And dead simple. A proper tent would be better, and I suppose eventually I'll get there. Meanwhile, almost 2,000 miles with this set-up in the Phoenix III and the Alaska so far without a wet night.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Roger Barns has a nice chapter in his book on tents and he advocates to make a mock-up tent with a cheap tarp that you cut up to make panels using sticky carpet tape. You might bring the whole thing to a sailmaker to make a proper tent in better stuff like Sunbrella, or you could do so yourself: Buy a sewing machine and learn a few canvaswork techniques. It is very satisfying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is Waxwing’s most recent iteration:

It began as a rectangular sil-nylon tarp, and I re sewed the hemline according to Roger Barnes’ description for his tent. The shock corded tent poles are simply placed in the oar lock sockets. Plenty of sitting headroom. Shock cords at bow and stern kept the hemline snug, even in blustery conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John hartmann; 10-09-2018 at 11:01 AM.

John, she looks very nice.
    I will make this winter a tent for an Ebihen and take some pictures, and possibly show them on the WBF.

Basically I use an 8 x 10 tarp on a ridgeline between main and mizzen on my 16. Draped over the gunwales, tensioned with light sandbags hanging outboard. and a couple of additional guy lines at the ends. Height is such that I can sit on the thwart. I sleep on the floorboards. I have done several week or two trips over the years with it, and anchored in some pretty exposed locations. Streaming the mizzen, I've never found cause to worry about the windage of the tarp. The ends are not closed. Nothing fancy but it works.
    A little extra sandbag weight probably does my boat good underway. Wet sandbags do get a little tiresome. Small boat, small space, but I sleep comfortably.

What I like about the McMullen/Yeadon deal is the speed and simplicity of throwing it up and the versatility of using it as a shade awning. My cheesy set up does afford both height and privacy but can be a bit of a mess to throw up and take down.

What I like about the bowed arrangements pictured is the sense of space and volume.

I have a tent exactly like Roger Barns' one in the video above. This year though i have ditched it for a canvas swag tent after reading about them in small boats monthly. I got it so I could use it on the Ilur but also go beach camping with it in my peapod. This is the only picture I have of the whole tent.

You can see the foot of it in use on my Ilur here:

Why I use it now over the boom tent I have:

Much faster and easier set up.
    Much warmer.
    It came with a foam mattress which is much more comfortable than an inflatable mattress.
    Much less rocking of the boat with the mast down and counterbalancing my own weight.
    Much cleaner(It is canvass so has to be aired after use, I used to leave the synthetic boom tent in the boat all the time as it was so big).
    You can see everything from it. You can use it like a waterproof sleeping bag late into the night and to watch dawn in the morning.

I would still use my boom tent in anchorages where I need more privacy. It has allowed me however to sleep in much more open water where there is always a bit of ocean swell. With the boom tent and the pendulum action of the mast I wouldn't get a wink of sleep in those kind of places.

It certainly is a more cost effective option than getting a bespoke tent made. And you also get a great tent that you can use anywhere. The swag tent is so much more comfortable than any light weight back packing tent.

Interesting! https://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Canvas.../dp/B01DTZP7LY

Quote Originally Posted by timcooke View Post
    I have a tent exactly like Roger Barns' one in the video above. This year though i have ditched it for a canvas swag tent after reading about them in small boats monthly. I got it so I could use it on the Ilur but also go beach camping with it in my peapod. This is the only picture I have of the whole tent.

Why I use it now over the boom tent I have:

Much faster and easier set up.
    Much warmer.
    It came with a foam mattress which is much more comfortable than an inflatable mattress.
    Much less rocking of the boat with the mast down and counterbalancing my own weight.
    Much cleaner(It is canvass so has to be aired after use, I used to leave the synthetic boom tent in the boat all the time as it was so big).
    You can see everything from it. You can use it like a waterproof sleeping bag late into the night and to watch dawn in the morning.

I would still use my boom tent in anchorages where I need more privacy. It has allowed me however to sleep in much more open water where there is always a bit of ocean swell. With the boom tent and the pendulum action of the mast I wouldn't get a wink of sleep in those kind of places.

It certainly is a more cost effective option than getting a bespoke tent made. And you also get a great tent that you can use anywhere. The swag tent is so much more comfortable than any light weight back packing tent.

I'm not a fan of those, sleeping is only one of the times when you're wanting to keep dry while at anchor. The best maker of small boat tents that I know of is Matt at Cutwater Canvas.
    https://www.cutwatercanvas.com/scamp-products This guy builds canvas that is both effective and long lived.
    You wont regret dealing with him.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I'm not a fan of those, sleeping is only one of the times when you're wanting to keep dry while at anchor. The best maker of small boat tents that I know of is Matt at Cutwater Canvas.
    https://www.cutwatercanvas.com/scamp-products This guy builds canvas that is both effective and long lived.
    You wont regret dealing with him.

John Welsford
    I should add that I choose my weather windows wisely! Most of my trips are single over-nighters. Occasionally 2 nights - 3 days. I would certainly aim to avoid spending a wet day on board hiding from the weather. My cruising grounds are the southwest corner of Ireland so wet weather means a succession of weather fronts that would make conditions unsuitable for dinghy cruising in open water. It really depends on the type of cruising you do! I would still pack my boom tent for a longer trip though, or if i was going to be spending time alongside a pier or jetty.

I've overnighted through several pretty big thunderstorm/rainstorms. You have to seal up the seams pretty good, but the tent works great. Overhangs all directions are important. You want all the rain to flow outside the boat versus into your bilge.

Haverchuck's fore and aft decks have very small beehole rain scuppers that divert rainwater into the sea. I don't seem to have a decent photo of these, but they're probably no more than 5/16th beeholes drilled through the plank, just big enough to let rain flow back off the the decks. The decks themselves have very slight gutters that divert the water.

These type of tents don't work if you sleep on an elevated platform. I sleep on the floorboards. The tent acts as a lid only. It's pretty warm in there.

Battens are clear cast acrylic tubes that I found at Tap Plastics. Ends trimmed to fit. I also use half inch PVC pipe for the far forward and aft battens, which need a bit more heft.

The tent rolls up and stows lashed under a side bench.

Man, what a mess. Love it.

The cover doubles as an awning for either rainy or really warm days. It's a nice place to hang out when waiting for the current to shift into your favor, or "favour" as some of you may prefer.

Look at that, my socks match. A first.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 10-11-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

The cover doubles as an awning for either rainy or really warm days. It's a nice place to hang out when waiting for the current to shift into your favor, or "favour" as some of you may prefer.

Look at that, my socks match. A first.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me, I saw that last year and meant to copy it by putting batten pockets in my center tent section. On the to-do list.

The swag tent is an interesting minimalist method. I use a bivy sack sometimes, but just for some warmth and keeping dew off.

Did I hear someone say comfort?

BUCKY & BUCKY JR.jpg

You could also retain a good bit of the suffering with a touch of practicality.

HOBO SHELTER.jpg

A solid version. No information, just an image found on Google.

CY_zpsefb8d49e.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

My chest tightens every time I see this. Anyone who thinks this might work for them out to make a mock-up out of cardboard and spend a night in it.

ALASKA TENT.jpg

I didn't know whether I would be blown offshore when I first made this prototype tent but I've since learned that the force on a geodesic dome is downward and the boat just slides sideways if a gust catches her abeam. The rudder and daggerboard are brought aboard so there is no lateral resistance other than the hull. There is a limit, of course, to how much wind it can take but under 20 kts it's fine. I've struck it exactly once and tucked into the bivy shelter alone, which has zero windage.

TENT.jpg

Like hats, one can never have too many.