Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: All this winning is getting exhausting!

Default Re: All this winning is getting exhausting!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-Mi View Post
    Trump is unique in the fact that he is socially liberal in many ways, illustrated by the fact that he has worked marvelously with gays his entire adult life. He also doesn't have a racist bone in his body and is working overtime to give our African American brothers and sisters a shot at the dream, as opposed to democrats who talk a big game during election season, but have left them behind where the rubber meets the road.
    What, exactly, has Trump done to 'give our African American brothers and sisters a shot at the dream"?

Please be specific.

Conservative wise, our president respects the constitution as it is written as can be seen by his two Supreme Court placements.
    "As it is written" ?

Show me where, in the Constitution, that corporations have the same rights as citizens (referring, of course, to Citizens United)

Trump is fiscally conservative, but is constrained by democrats and republicans in congress who threaten to spend our country into the financial abyss.
    What President signed the latest tax cut, financed by DEBT, and giving the wealthy a huge tax break, into law?

Despite the perception of some, President Trump is not a dictator and is forced to deal with spending boondoggles as they are presented to him under out system of government. Let Trump construct the budget and our fiscal and debt problems would be solved in a manageable number of years.
    Who FORCED Trump to sign that tax cut?

I've studied Donald J Trump's life carefully and understand his method of operation and thus his plan, to grow our way out of this mess. The problem is, it can't be done with the current big spending RINOs and democrats dominating congress, we need more genuine conservatives in leadership and across the board.
    Yeah, sure. Too bad that you seem to prefer to ignore a proven historical fact: Democrats are VASTLY better stewards of the economy, than Republicans.... and have been so, for the past eight decades.

• Personal disposable income has grown nearly 6 times more under Democratic presidents
    • Gross Domestic Product (GDP) has grown 7 times more under Democratic presidents
    • Corporate profits have grown over 16% more per year under Democratic presidents (they actually declined under Republicans by an average of 4.53%/year)
    • Average annual compound return on the stock market has been 18 times greater under Democratic presidents (If you invested $100k for 40 years of Republican administrations you had $126k at the end, if you invested $100k for 40 years of Democrat administrations you had $3.9M at the end)
    • Republican presidents added 2.5 times more to the national debt than Democratic presidents
    • The two times the economy steered into the ditch (Great Depression and Great Recession) were during Republican, laissez faire administrations

So, tell me again about the economy.... I need a good laugh.

Last edited by Norman Bernstein; 10-10-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

You're a 'good talker', Rick - but I'm not buying what you're selling. C. Ross et al have nicely rebutted your argument.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

There used to be a newspaper in Germany called "Das Reich" which trumpeted all the winning. It folded in 1945 when the publisher committed suicide.
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

President Trump doesn't fit in either party establishment mold, which is one of the factors that makes him so appealing!
    Really?

Trump is racist, sexist, authoritarian and completely corrupt.

Sounds 100% 'Republican', to me.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post

"As it is written" ?

Show me where, in the Constitution, that corporations have the same rights as citizens (referring, of course, to Citizens United)

And when you're done with that (as if) please show me where the Constitution specifies that the Senate can refuse to hear the president's nomination for SCOTUS on a whim.

Then tell me why it is that you are OK with the 'Republican' Party devolving into the criminal gang they have become.

Rattling the teacups.

Trump is doing beautifully.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

With a bachelor degree in business administration with a major in fiance and minor in economics, I feel confident in assessing this problem.

There are three reasons why even with genuine conservatives in leadership position, why straight out budget cuts are out of the question.

1 - The percentage of discretionary spending in the overall budget is too small.
    2 - With the left oriented media and great number of Americans with a dependent mentality, it's politically inconceivable to make the kind of cuts required outright to return our country to financial sanity. 24/7 shrieking in the media would result in representatives who enacted such measures to be quickly voted out of office.
    3 - Rapid budget cutting measures would constrict the velocity of money and cause a deep depression.

Given those three truths, there is a solution under the capable leadership of Donald J Trump, if we can accomplish a tall (improbable) task of getting a handle on congress, particularly in leadership. It's nice that globalist RINO Paul Ryan is on his way out, so there is some hope for the House republican side. But, with McConnell, Schumer and Pelosi looking like they're going nowhere, the probabilities aren't bright for enough genuine conservatives to do the job.

Trump does hold the keys, but he can't do it on his own and the prospects for the kind of change required in congress are grim.
    Ill see your education and raise you with a BS degree in economics and an MBA. And I worked on the House Budget Committee Republican staff from 1982-1986.

I hear the political rant. Amused by it.

But tell me again what changes will be made if not in discretionary spending. I put the data in post #86. What will be cut under the "capable leadership of Donald J Trump"? And what additional will be cut to allow for the increases in defense spending, The Wall, and massive infrastructure increases he promised? What would a "real conservative" do?

The Freedom Caucus doesn't have a website. They don't issue position papers. They have a Facebook page. https://m.facebook.com/freedomcaucus/. I get that they're against everything - what are they for, what would they do?

I think Speaker Boehner has their number, and perhaps yours:

On October 30, 2017, Vanity Fair published an interview with former Speaker Boehner, who said of the Freedom Caucus: "They can’t tell you what they’re for. They can tell you everything they’re against. They’re anarchists. They want total chaos. Tear it all down and start over. That’s where their mindset is."

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Well sure, if you're a racist, misogynist, xenophobic, white-supremacist idolator of authoritarian despots.

Other than that, not so much.
    Rattling the teacups.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk....
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.

Since some think President Trump gets credit for everything that happens under his Presidency, he gets to own today too.

Dow sinks more than 800 points as investors are spooked by rising rates - The Washington Post
    https://apple.news/ALEJU1GQ5SUedKrKChlYDtw

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Since some think President Trump gets credit for everything that happens under his Presidency, he gets to own today too.

Dow sinks more than 800 points as investors are spooked by rising rates - The Washington Post
    https://apple.news/ALEJU1GQ5SUedKrKChlYDtw
    It's risen so high so fast a correction is no surprise.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    It's risen so high so fast a correction is no surprise.
    Absolutely.

But our President regularly takes personal credit for the stock market.

Not sure he's going to accept any responsibility for anything bad that happens under his administration. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Well sure, if you're a racist, misogynist, xenophobic, white-supremacist idolator of authoritarian despots.

You have that right. The perfect "leader" for a peculiar type of American.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Absolutely.

Of course he does.... when it's rising....

When it falls, it's someone else's fault. Today, he's blaming the Fed.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Absolutely.

Not sure he's going to accept any responsibility for anything bad that happens under his administration. We'll see.
    Cris, you're all over the place. You're arguing elsewhere that Trump deserves little credit for a roaring economy but somehow he's responsible for a one-day sell off.

A downturn in housing may soon become a drag on the overall market while tech may experience a pull back. Neither would necessarily be a bad thing, on balance. Corrections are welcome.

Just please let me know when we've succeeded in making America great again.

I'm not sure what it looks like.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Cris, you're all over the place. You're arguing elsewhere that Trump deserves little credit for a roaring economy but somehow he's responsible for a one-day sell off...
    Cris said, or implied, no such thing. He was merely hypothesizing whether Trump WOULD accept responsibility for anything, should something negative happen that could be attributed to him.

Kablooie knows. Facts don’t matter to that one.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Cris said, or implied, no such thing. He was merely hypothesizing whether Trump WOULD accept responsibility for anything, should something negative happen that could be attributed to him.
    How absurd. Like any President would come out and take personal responsibility for a one-day sell-off.

Your remarks don't help. The whole notion is silly.

Cris, you're all over the place. You're arguing elsewhere that Trump deserves little credit for a roaring economy but somehow he's responsible for a one-day sell off.

A downturn in housing may soon become a drag on the overall market while tech may experience a pull back. Neither would necessarily be a bad thing, on balance. Corrections are welcome.
    Oh please. I'm steady as a rock.

Trump, like all Presidents, deserves very little credit for the economy. I am clearly being sarcastic in suggesting that if Trump wants all the credit he gets to own the bad stuff. Norm finishes it off by pointing out that the President is, indeed, blaming someone else for the bad stuff. See how magnificently he does it?

Here, let's annotate this thread:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dit/308627002/

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/07/...kets-activity/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...op/1594412002/
    Last edited by C. Ross; 10-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.

How absurd. Like any President would come out and take personal responsibility for a one-day sell-off.
    Once again, NO ONE is suggesting that... except for you, and yes, it's indeed silly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Just please let me know when we've succeeded in making America great again.

I'm not sure what it looks like.
    It seems that you have sufficient leisure at least to comment here regularly. On balance, things are probably pretty great as they are. You probably aren't the intended audience for Trump's campaign slogan (the very same exploited first by Reagan, btw, but now Trump has made a brand out of it).

You probably aren't the intended audience for Trump's campaign slogan....
    The validity of the sentiment of the slogan depends on who it's intended for?

REALLY?

It seems that you have sufficient leisure at least to comment here regularly. On balance, things are probably pretty great as they are. You probably aren't the intended audience for Trump's campaign slogan (the very same exploited first by Reagan, btw, but now Trump has made a brand out of it).
    Wait, we're already great???

Is the "American carnage" over?
    Mothers and children no longer trapped in poverty in inner cities?
    Rusted out factories open?
    Educstion system working?
    Crime and gangs and drugs stopped?

Promises made. Which ones have been kept, if we're already great?

[quote]
    But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system, flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge; and the crime and gangs and drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential.
    This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.
    We are one nation – and their pain is our pain. Their dreams are our dreams; and their success will be our success. We share one heart, one home, and one glorious destiny.
    The oath of office I take today is an oath of allegiance to all Americans.
    For many decades, we’ve enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry;
    Subsidized the armies of other countries while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military;
    We’ve defended other nation’s borders while refusing to defend our own;
    And spent trillions of dollars overseas while America’s infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay.
    We’ve made other countries rich while the wealth, strength, and confidence of our country has disappeared over the horizon.
    One by one, the factories shuttered and left our shores, with not even a thought about the millions upon millions of American workers left behind.
    The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed across the entire world.
    But that is the past. And now we are looking only to the future.
    [/
    quote]

Trump deserves very little credit for the economy
    It doesn't matter whether he "deserves" anything. What matters is what voters are willing to attribute to him. He's going to benefit from this economy, as all sitting Presidents do, whether Democrat or Republican, when an economy is roaring in the middle of a term.

It's an argument that isn't really worth anything.

The validity of the sentiment of the slogan depends on who it's intended for?

REALLY?

If things are pretty good for him, the slogan probably doesn't resonate like it would for other Americans. Hence, the snark.

Sentiment is sentiment. The relative "validity" of the sentiment is debatable.

I didn't realize Trumpworld is entirely detached from facts.

It's all about "sentiment".

But how's he doing on reversing "American carnage" except making his supporters feel good about it?

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

Notice that His Fetid Lordship has no response?
    Rattling the teacups.

Absolutely.

Wouldn't it be lovely to see some logical consistency...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

You mean THIS kind of winning?

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Or do you mean the kind of winning that is so robust that your candidates have to gin up fake endorsements and take money from hate groups? That sorta winning?

https://coloradopolitics.com/phony-e...-hickenlooper/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Got it. Only Democrats do things wrong. Republicans are perfect. Golly, who knew?
    The Trump supporters seem to like it when Republican do things wrong.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

The thing that's really exhausting is keeping track of all the lies coming from today's Republicans. They'll even resort to libel to get elected --

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sd...005-story.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I guess to some fools... installing a crook in the White House is 'winning' --

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-crook/568123/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Apparently... 'winning' means By Any Means. Including purging the voter roles in your state of those who might vote against you --

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...m_npd_nn_fb_ma
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks