Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: All this winning is getting exhausting!

Default Re: All this winning is getting exhausting!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-Mi View Post
    The Trump tax cuts INCREASED revenue to the federal treasury and stimulated the economy to record levels.

We've got a spending problem, not a tax collection problem and one thing is for sure, democrats and RINOs will make it worse.

What we need is to vote in more Tea Party style republicans, expand the Freedom Caucus and make Jim Jordan Speaker of the House and you will see something actually done about the spending problem!
    The IMF just downgraded future growth & the head said that it was mostly due to the artificial spike caused by deficit spending in the US.

You cannot keep borrowing & expect that the bill collector will never come knocking on your door. That's economics minus 101 - aka 3rd grade arithmetic. But - keep on believing...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Increased revenue is great - but it only matters if spending doesn't increase too.
    Presently the Trump admin is growing the national debt exponentially. He had promised to bring it down, but forgot that when he saw the chance to give US$1.5trillion to the richest people in the world. Unfortunately for him the tax cut only gives him about US$15million a year, but he does get it for the rest of his life. Did you notice how much you got? And you'll keep getting that until next year.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

The Trump tax cuts INCREASED revenue to the federal treasury and stimulated the economy to record levels.

We've got a spending problem, not a tax collection problem and one thing is for sure, democrats and RINOs will make it worse.

What we need is to vote in more Tea Party style republicans, expand the Freedom Caucus and make Jim Jordan Speaker of the House and you will see something actually done about the spending problem!
    We do have a problem, namely Donald Trump and deficit enabling Republicans.

For most middle class and poverty level Americans the overall standard of living is about the same. There are too many $9.00-$12.00 per hr jobs out there, and none of the necessities of life are any cheaper. Too many Americans are priced out of going to college, the GOP has sabotaged health care in their attempts to destroy the ACA, and now the GOP is dreaming about further cuts to Medicaid, while at the same time they are taking aim at Medicare and Social Security.

I voted for GOP candidates back in the 80's and 90's, but never again. The GOP is gone--it's now the Trump/White Nationalist party. Screw them.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    This new troll is excellent at his craft.
    Rick has been here a long time and is a fellow Michigander
    this is the first political posting I can ever remember from him.

Many of his views are understandable even if I disagree. Michigan was a wealthy state, with secure income, and a positive lifestyle for a long time; there was opportunity here for anybody - white, black, male, female, immigrant or native. But this state took a beating . . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    rick has been here a long time and is a fellow michigander
    this is the first political posting i can ever remember from him
    Nah - but he has taken a break from them in the last while.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

More Winning!!!!!

Global Economy Slowed by Trump’s Trade Policies according to International Monetary Fund

https://frnewsreport.com/global-economy-slowed-by-trumps-trade-policies-according-to-international-monetary-fund/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Sometimes 'winning' is just foolsgold. Not only is the (in some ways) healthy economy mostly the result of Obama's efforts... most of what Trump has done will (later) have pernicious consequences --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

More winning...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And winning on an international level --

The presidentís fantasy is that the U.S. can ignore the global forces of nature.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/09/o...d%20Columnists

When Donald Trump spoke at the United Nations on Sept. 25 and provoked guffaws from the diplomats in the audience for his boasting, Trump insisted that they were not laughing at him, they were laughing with him.

I wasnít there so I canít say what they were actually doing on the outside. But on the inside, Iím pretty sure I know: They were crying.

They were crying over the fact that the America they had come to know and respect over the last 70 years ó and whose generosity and security order they had come to rely upon and even take advantage of at times ó had left the building.

It had been replaced by Trumpís America, which is different in two fundamental ways.

First, Trumpís America does not see itself as the galvanizer and protector of the liberal global order that brought more peace, prosperity and democracy to more corners of the world over the last 70 years than at any time in history ó defying the natural order of things, which is constant jungle-like conflict, protectionism and strongman rule.

Second, Trumpís America is unafraid to engage in the raw exercise of power against any foe or friend to gain economic or geopolitical advantage ó no matter how big or small ó and, at the same time, is ready to overlook any human rights abuse or killing by any country deemed friendly to Trump personally or not interesting to him geopolitically...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

More winning!

How to lose (some Russian?) millions, quickly:

Turnberry and Aberdeen

There are some Trump quotes (we call them 'lies' in Scotland) in both those articles that are, to be honest, outrageous.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Rick has been here a long time and is a fellow Michigander
    this is the first political posting I can ever remember from him.

Many of his views are understandable even if I disagree. Michigan was a wealthy state, with secure income, and a positive lifestyle for a long time; there was opportunity here for anybody - white, black, male, female, immigrant or native. But this state took a beating . . .
    Rick trashed me out when I had been on this board for about two days.

Ugly stuff.

Said I was a liar, a Mxxxxxxxer, and several other tasty little insults.

The economic peril he experiences as a citizen of Michigan couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    jcsoh busted my chops so hard after my first post in the forum that i left never to return

stan the fifth and mike fonville pm'd me and convinced me to come back - thank god for compassionate conservatives
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-10-2018 at 05:32 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I understand and accept that you're cooler than me, but I just don't care.
    Rattling the teacups.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Ive really resisted posting to this silly thread, but this is just too silly.

Here's percentage change in tax receipts since 2000. Where's the increase since the tax bill took effect?

IMG_0337.jpg

Heres the percentage change in GDP. Where are the "record levels"?

IMG_0340.jpg

Here's the quarterly percentage change in spending and taxes. Where is the spending problem? And if there is one, why haven't the Tea Party and President Trump turned that around? Why did he sign the last spending bill after saying he'd never sign one like it again? RINOs? Name one whose left in either house, in matters of the budget.

IMG_0342.jpg

Here's spending by category. What will the Tea Party cut?
    Defense? Going up.
    Medicare and Medicaid? What's the plan? President Trump says he'll protect it from Democrats.
    Social Security? What's the plan? President Trump says he'll protect it from Democrats.
    income security? Sure let's put all those welfare queens back to work! Oh, actually that category is SSI, paid to "Individuals who are aged, blind or disabled with little or no income or resources". Ready to cut that?
    Interest? Can't cut it.
    We're up to about 87% of federal outlays. What's going to be cut?
    Transportation? Still waiting for the huge infrastructure spend that President Trump promised.
    International Affairs? Sure, zero it out.
    Agriculture? Nope, that's going up by a lot to compensate farmers for the damage from tariffs.

IMG_0343.jpg

See, the "winning" story President Trump tells isn't quite as it appears at his rallies or on Fox News (same thing). We've basically been on one path since the end of the recession. And if we looked at other industrialized countries, their growth, tax receipts and spending trends look almost exactly the same as ours. It's the market that's driving this, not Trump, not Obama, not the Queen of England. Trump is just along for the ride, along with every other President and Prime Minister.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    See, the "winning" story President Trump tells isn't quite as it appears at his rallies or on Fox News (same thing). We've basically been on one path since the end of the recession. And if we looked at other industrialized countries, their growth, tax receipts and spending trends look almost exactly the same as ours. It's the market that's driving this, not Trump, not Obama, not the Queen of England. Trump is just along for the ride, along with every other President and Prime Minister.
    Thanks, Cris... it's a shame that the Luddites will look at all this, and completely ignore it, preferring to echo Trump's 'pep rally' boasting.

Nobody hopes for a recession... but, realistically, there's bound to be one coming, and fairly soon, if historical precedent means anything. If Trump takes credit for the positive economy right now, will he deserve the blame for the next recession, if it happens on his watch?

Of course not... but the schadenfreude is strong. I'm wondering what the Trumpistas will say, when it happens.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

Ugly stuff.

Said I was a liar, a Mxxxxxxxer, and several other tasty little insults.

The economic peril he experiences as a citizen of Michigan couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    I've got no animosity toward you personally, if we have major disagreements, it's worldview based.

I guess you found out quickly what we all know, if you don't have thick skin, better not go below deck.

As for economic peril in Michigan, some of us have empathy for others even when we are thriving. MAGA voters want to see EVERYONE have the opportunity to succeed, even those who vote against the principles that made America great and philosophy which facilitates that.

MAGA voters want to see EVERYONE have the opportunity to succeed...
    I'm sure they do.

MAGA political leaders, however, are really only interested in seeing to it that the wealthy and powerful are the ones to succeed. Why else would the Trump tax cut be a give-away to the top 1%?

Here's a hint: 'MAGA' voters are getting played like chumps.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross
    Here's the quarterly percentage change in spending and taxes. Where is the spending problem? And if there is one, why haven't the Tea Party and President Trump turned that around? Why did he sign the last spending bill after saying he'd never sign one like it again? RINOs? Name one whose left in either house, in matters of the budget.
    Where is the spending problem???
    First of all, if you don't think we have a spending problem, there is no point in any discussion, that philosophy must simply be voted out or our ship will ultimately be on the rocks as a country.

However, thank you for inadvertently supporting my point, the spending problem is with RINOs and democrats, not true conservatives.

Let's look at the massive 1.3 trillion dollar, 2018 Omnibus spending boondoggle as an example:

In this travesty of a budget, many more democrats supported it in the senate than republicans. 39 democrats supported this monstrosity while only 25 senate republicans supported the massive spending bill. Only 8 democrats voted no, while 23 republicans voted against, with several abstaining.

This points to one undeniable fact, our spending problem is the result of too many democrats and RINOs in congress and the ONLY solution is more genuine conservatives!

War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

I thought this was going to be a red Sox thread

Who do you believe Tom, Politico or NPR?

Poll: Amid Kavanaugh Confirmation Battle, Democratic Enthusiasm Edge Evaporates

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/03/65401...dge-evaporates

Hello Norman, opportunity abounds for all in this Trump economy.

A smart guy like you should be killing it!

I believe the truth lies somewhere in between. Which is not good news for the reds.

But even if the truth lies closer to the NPR numbers... I would not mind at all if Democratic candidates won by 2 percentage point margins.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Where is the spending problem???
    First of all, if you don't think we have a spending problem, there is no point in any discussion, that philosophy must simply be voted out or our ship will ultimately be on the rocks as a country.

However, thank you for inadvertently supporting my point, the spending problem is with RINOs and democrats, not true conservatives.

Let's look at the massive 1.3 trillion dollar, 2018 Omnibus spending boondoggle as an example:

In this travesty of a budget, many more democrats supported it in the senate than republicans. 39 democrats supported this monstrosity while only 25 senate republicans supported the massive spending bill. Only 8 democrats voted no, while 23 republicans voted against, with several abstaining.

This points to one undeniable fact, our spending problem is the result of too many democrats and RINOs in congress and the ONLY solution is more genuine conservatives!
    Oh, I think thereís a spending problem. I am aware it has worsened under President Trump, with assistance from Speaker Ryan and Majority Leader McConnell.

I was interested in your opinion of exactly what the spending problem is and what youíd do about it.

As for why the Omnibus bill was assembled and how it passed, I donít think your narrative holds water. Hereís how it passed the House.

The Houseís early Friday morning passage of a bill to reopen government after a brief shutdown was not your typical budget deal vote.
    Unlike similar measures Congress has passed in recent years to lift sequestration spending caps and suspend the debt ceiling, this one drew a limited amount of Republican opposition and minimal Democratic support.
    Typically itís just the opposite. A sizable number of House Republicans, usually a third to a half of the conference, would vote against such a deal. And the vast majority of Democrats would normally support it.
    But only 29 percent of House Republicans voted against the budget deal Friday that hitched a ride on a six-week stopgap funding measure. And 62 percent of House Democrats voted against it.
    ďI see Republicans producing a bigger number than we have on big agreements traditionally, especially since 2010 taking the majority,Ē Chief Deputy Whip Patrick T. McHenry, R-N.C., said. ďI feel like this is a bold move, and the difference maker is the White House and the presidentĒ.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...ip-budget-deal

As for the rest, you want to comment on tax revenues, GDP, or any of the other things President Trump is taking credit for? The evidence shows that nothing has happened so far in his 20 month administration other than continuation of trends. I will grant that heís a very lucky man to have been elected in prosperous times!

Mr Ross, thank you for agreeing by default with my inarguable assessment of Omnibus spending bill in regard to the senate.

However, deflecting to the House side of the equation doesn't get any better when it comes to defending big spending democrats and RINOs and once again you support my contention that in order to get a handle on spending, we must elect more genuine conservatives.

The Freedom Caucus strongly opposed this monstrosity and voted accordingly!

House Omnibus VOTE BREAKDOWN:
    GOP: Yea-150 // Nay-95
    DEM: Yea-166 // Nay-18
    TOTAL: Yea-316 // Nay-113

For all with eyes to see, those numbers speak loudly for themselves!

If I were in Congress I would have voted against the Omnibus bill too.

But Dude, this bill was written by the Speaker’s office, the Majority Leader’s Office, and OMB Director Mulvaney. This was Trump’s party, Trump’s bill. RINOs and Democrats had nothing to do with writing this bill.

Who cares what the final votes were? Who wrote it: your guys.

So what would you do about it? Look at where we spend money. Where would you cut? Where would the Freedom Caucus cut?

Rick, yer a funny (and obstinate) guy - declaring victory where none exists, claiming support where there's criticism.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Globalism is a large topic and often not well defined. In the context of my reference it's two faceted, a global elite who are striving to create centralized power and high level business forces within the United States that go to great length to promote profit over any other interest. Politicians are a key tool of the globalists by their easy corruptibility, compounded by their plain stupidity.

Neither China nor Mexico rose to manufacturing prominence on their own, they weren't even on the scale until completely propped up and created by globalist interests. This was a decision by global elite power brokers starting around the time of Nixon, having nothing to do with these countries rising on their own.
    I was with you right up to that last. First, of course investors create supply, and they create demand, and cash in both ways. It's what they do. But a lot of the profit comes from exploiting the people of other nations, which in turn means, they're not doing nothing. They're working like slaves. They are not the enemy. They are fellow victims of the same exploitation.

American industrialists were quick to climb on board to take advantage of slave labor and avoid ever restrictive environmental regulations in the US.

Thus, we experienced crooked and stupid politicians that sold out the American middle class to the global elite profit brokers and the people full well knew it. Bush 1, Clinton, Bush II, Obama and a large contingent of congress undermined the economic base of America and put us on a path to subservience and implosion.
    Pretty much. Subservient to whom? Not to Mexico and China, but to the elites that oppress them and us too. Trump doesn't go after them, he goes after Mexico and China. This is a huge flaw in "America First". The people of other countries are potential allies capable of great strength. There's nothing to be gained, that I can see, by antagonizing them.

A certain segment of our population totally gets it and they FINALLY have a champion who truly has their back!
    They've made a reasonable diagnosis. But they've chosen quack remedies and a huckster to administer them.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross
    I was interested in your opinion of exactly what the spending problem is and what you’d do about it.
    With a bachelor degree in business administration with a major in fiance and minor in economics, I feel confident in assessing this problem.

There are three reasons why even with genuine conservatives in leadership position, why straight out budget cuts are out of the question.

1 - The percentage of discretionary spending in the overall budget is too small.
    2 - With the left oriented media and great number of Americans with a dependent mentality, it's politically inconceivable to make the kind of cuts required outright to return our country to financial sanity. 24/7 shrieking in the media would result in representatives who enacted such measures to be quickly voted out of office.
    3 - Rapid budget cutting measures would constrict the velocity of money and cause a deep depression.

Given those three truths, there is a solution under the capable leadership of Donald J Trump, if we can accomplish a tall (improbable) task of getting a handle on congress, particularly in leadership. It's nice that globalist RINO Paul Ryan is on his way out, so there is some hope for the House republican side. But, with McConnell, Schumer and Pelosi looking like they're going nowhere, the probabilities aren't bright for enough genuine conservatives to do the job.

Trump does hold the keys, but he can't do it on his own and the prospects for the kind of change required in congress are grim.

Amen brother!

Osborne,
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply. There are huge gaps and I warned readers in advance there would be. That was just 'winging it' off the cuff in an abbreviated form for the sake of discussion.
    Any time. Thanks for your thoughtful attention. Now about those gaps . . .

There is one big gap MAGA that I see. The argument of the modern right -- Tea Party and after, let's say -- has given up exactly that which makes them different from traditional American conservatives, AKA paleo-conservatives. Makes sense, that's the point, to be different. They opposed the policies but defended the machinery. The modern right attacks the machinery in order to oppose the policies.

MAGA says: all issues having been settled by the genius of the founding fathers, reflected in the Constitution, things were great until something came along. OK, let's just arbitrarily say the Civil War. Literally a war between Americans about a certain concept of states' rights (setting aside the issue of slavery). Produced the 14th Amendment greatly increasing the relative power of the federal government. Then came anti-trust, labor laws, votes for women, the New Deal . . . right on down to affirmative action, abortion and globalism.

The flaw in this is that things were not great. If they were great, it was an interlude. The founding fathers did what they could. They wrote the Constitution to take power away from the states . . . just not all of it. Then they put in various mechanisms to limit and check the power of the federal government. The two bigs are enumerated powers and the Bill of Rights. BUT the 14th Amendment means the federal government is the guarantor of the Bill of Rights as against the states. That is the source of the greatly increased power of the feds post-Civil War. The one and only way you could change that would be to repeal the 14th Amendment. In modern political terms, if your platform is MAGA, you have to specify which was great, pre- or post-14th Amendment. Otherwise, no one knows what you're talking about.

The lack of that specification is a huge gap, almost to big to call a gap. Like a calendar that only has November and December. You could call the missing 10 months a gap.

It shows up in the modern right's program for the Supreme Court. If there's going to be a 14th Amendment, and a Judicial Branch, the Supreme Court must from time to time strike down state laws. See, e.g. Griswold v. Connecticut (birth control). The 5th Amendment has provided the same, as regards the Feds, so that part anyway must be part of "the "great that shall be again". Is your argument that it should not have been extended over the states? So the states can do what the Bill of Rights forbids the Feds to do? Violate the Bill of Rights? Wars have consequences, one might say.

In any case, the backdrop is, the Supreme Court and the 5th and 14th Amendments. Along comes the modern right and says hooray, we got Justice Roberts, he's a conservative! Then he upholds Obama care. Is that conservative? Yes, following the law is conservative. But it's a liberal policy, doesn't that make Roberts a liberal? No, it doesn't. Don't be surprised when something similar happens with Kavanaugh.

So you continue to nominate people you expect to rule according to policy, rather than the law, which is the very thing you claim is wrong. Which is absurd, because it's part of what was great all along, and you want to make it great again by ending it. And this applies to your platform generally, you want to tear down the machinery that has produced results you don't like -- I don't like many of them myself -- so that the machinery can work. But the machinery can't work if it's tore down; OTOH if wasn't capable of the desired performance, it wasn't great. Again and again, we return to "great again" -- what does it mean?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

First of all, ambassadors outside of major powers are nothing except figureheads, totally powerless and nothing more than window dressing.

Aside from that, I completely disagree with your assessment. Under Trump, America is now re-assuming it's leadership position in the world!

From inducing deadbeat NATO countries to finally cough up their fair share, to renegotiated trade agreements, progress on a nuclear treaty with NK, scrapping one of the worst agreements in history with Iran to no longer being the 'sucker at the table' in the Paris Climate Accord, President Trump is calling the shots around the world and putting the United States back into the leadership role where we belong.

Well, it appears you have no idea how our embassies work, no idea how our alliances work, and boundless optimism about subjects on which you know very little.

You'll find some useful information here: https://booksellersvsbestsellers.blo...can-power.html

Not for the first time in listening to RWW's... I find myself pondering the phrase: 'knows just enough to be dangerous'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Is Trump a 'genuine conservative'?

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Is Trump a 'genuine conservative'?

President Trump doesn't fit in either party establishment mold, which is one of the factors that makes him so appealing!

Although having an R after his name, he is neither republican or democrat and has successfully defeated both establishment parties in the face of fierce opposition.

Trump is unique in the fact that he is socially liberal in many ways, illustrated by the fact that he has worked marvelously with gays his entire adult life. He also doesn't have a racist bone in his body and is working overtime to give our African American brothers and sisters a shot at the dream, as opposed to democrats who talk a big game during election season, but have left them behind where the rubber meets the road.

Conservative wise, our president respects the constitution as it is written as can be seen by his two Supreme Court placements. Trump is fiscally conservative, but is constrained by democrats and republicans in congress who threaten to spend our country into the financial abyss.

Despite the perception of some, President Trump is not a dictator and is forced to deal with spending boondoggles as they are presented to him under out system of government. Let Trump construct the budget and our fiscal and debt problems would be solved in a manageable number of years.

I've studied Donald J Trump's life carefully and understand his method of operation and thus his plan, to grow our way out of this mess. The problem is, it can't be done with the current big spending RINOs and democrats dominating congress, we need more genuine conservatives in leadership and across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Rick, yer a funny (and obstinate) guy - declaring victory where none exists, claiming support where there's criticism.
    George, its pretty tough to argue that there isn't a lot of winning going on with Trump calling the shots around the world and republicans controlling every branch of government, including originalists on the Supreme Court, likely for the next couple generations.

That being said, we do have some major underlying problems that must be addressed if this country is to avert financial shipwreck.

Establishment republicans and democrats arguing here about who is more fiscally irresponsible is like a patient with cardiovascular disease and hypertension arguing over which is worse, fried foods or donuts and making the case why more of one or the other should be increased in our national diet!

The truth is, genuine conservationism that is directly in line with the Trump philosophy is the greens, raw food and medication required to avert a catastrophe!

The problem is, the masses don't want to make the lifestyle changes required and we are headed toward the inevitable, the only question being....when?