Thread: Unscientific Stupidity

Default Unscientific Stupidity

There's one thing that bugs me about most modern thrillers, horror stories and sci-fi films. It is that bit near the end, you know the part, when the bad guy's been defenestrated in a hail of bullets, or the evil killer has been impaled on a stake, or the raging xenomorph has been blasted by blasters, and all the good guys chill out a bit, do some air-punching, or have a good-guy manly hug, and then the bad guy/evil killer/xenomorph just gets up like some unstoppable zombie to carry on as if nothing has happened. Cue the same-old for another ten minutes of relentless repetition.

I really hate it.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Default Re: Unscientific Stupidity

Try being the protagonist!

Peace,
    Will You Just Die, Already, Hydra? How Many Heads Must I Remove?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Agree. An oxyacetylene torch should always be used on the monster prior to celebrating.
    I'm not sure the particular monster in question is oxyacetyleney torchable. It just keeps bobbing back up - rather like the result of the badly working toilet.

Andy

And why doesn't the bad guy just shoot the good guy instead of standing there explaining everything?
    Вещи меняются 6 ноября.

Storytelling has always been like that, it's the same plot line as the Mabinogion.

PDI.

“Plot” demands it.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    There's one thing that bugs me about most modern thrillers, horror stories and sci-fi films. It is that bit near the end, you know the part, when the bad guy's been defenestrated in a hail of bullets, or the evil killer has been impaled on a stake, or the raging xenomorph has been blasted by blasters, and all the good guys chill out a bit, do some air-punching, or have a good-guy manly hug, and then the bad guy/evil killer/xenomorph just gets up like some unstoppable zombie to carry on as if nothing has happened. Cue the same-old for another ten minutes of relentless repetition.

I really hate it.

Andy
    In a movie involving “Blasters,” I think you’ve got bigger unscientific fish to fry.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    And why doesn't the bad guy just shoot the good guy instead of standing there explaining everything?
    Or putting them into some strange death sentence as they always put Batman in.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Was it Arnold who said "If it bleeds we can kill it"?

Peace,
    Get To Zee Choppah

Fight scenes annoy me. They go on too long and no one can withstand the level of punishment that is portrayed.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

It was always thus, watch old Tom Mix westerns. Its all theatre.

I worked in a rail laying gang at one stage, remote. There were always 'fights' between drunks, 3 swings and everyone falls down. Injuries were almost accidental. That was theatre as well.

My pet peeve is today's shows where the bad guys, armed with super automatic weapons, can't ever seem to kill any of the good guys, but the good guys manage to kill all the bad guys.

Theatre, and the gun lobby likely loves it. The "good guy" always wins.

Being an Evil Overlord seems to be a good career choice. It pays well, there are all sorts of perks and you can set your own hours. However every Evil Overlord I've read about in books or seen in movies invariably gets overthrown and destroyed in the end. I've noticed that no matter whether they are barbarian lords, deranged wizards, mad scientists or alien invaders, they always seem to make the same basic mistakes every single time. With that in mind, allow me to present...
    The Top 100 Things I'd Do
    If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
    The Evil Overlord List (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

The thing that bothers me most about the modern 'action' movie is that the hero and/or bad guy gets hit with blows that would hospitalize any human, then gets up to save the day.

I've never tried it (thank god) but if one smashes a length of pipe into the brain-pan of another human, he's not gonna get up and run 3 miles and then have a martial arts battle with a dozen heavily armed, heavily-trained opponents.

No.

If he doesn't die immediately, he's on a years-long road to a partial recovery.

I'm not of the 'violins on television' camp, but when people see this sort of thing over and over, and then the circumstances of their lives demand combat, IMO they are much more likely to seriously injure or kill someone, just because they saw it in the movies.

"Gee, officer, I had no idea that smashing his head in would actually kill him!"
    Last edited by oznabrag; 10-08-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    The thing that bothers me most about the modern 'action' movie is that the hero and/or bad guy gets hit with blows that would hospitalize any human, then gets up to save the day.

I've never tried it (thank god) but if one smashes a length of pipe into the brain-pan of another human, he's not gonna get up and run 3 miles and then have a martial arts battle with a dozen heavily armed, heavily-trained opponents.

No.

If he doesn't die immediately, he's on a years-long road to a partial recovery.

I'm not of the 'violins on television' camp, but when people see this sort of thing over and over, and then the circumstances of their lives demand combat, IMO they are much more likely to seriously injure or kill someone, just because they saw it in the movies.

"Gee, officer, I had no idea that smashing his head in would actually kill him!"
    I agree. Cases in point are both NCIS Los Angeles and NCIS New Orleans.

Last season ended with all four LA agents in vehicle that got blown up. Magically, they all survived, albeit a bit wounded. NO episode ended last season with Pride being shot three times, close range, by a professional killer. Of course, he magically survived.

Bad guys must be using defective bombs or bullets.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

The Infinity Wars, latest Avengers movie - bad guy wins.
    Goes through the cliche's as described, but he wins anyway.

I'm still trying to get to the politics behind the result. Does it reflect something in the US psyche at the moment? Big all powerful being bent on killing half of all living things in the universe (indiscriminately, as in; not along party lines), and not even our most powerful superheroes can do anything to stop it. There's a powerlessness there that is unusual in big action movies.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Maybe I was being too subtle in my OP?

"The true definition of madness is repeating the same action, over and over, hoping for a different result." - Albert Einstein
    "The devyl playeth ofte with the synnar, lyke as the catte doth with the mous." - William Caxton
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyG; 10-10-2018 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Missed out quote

Well it has been yourself, along with one or two others repeating the same action (beating your head against unscientific stupidity) and expecting to make a breakthrough.

I lived in hope.

But a week or so ago I finally admitted that there was not going to be even the merest flicker of a (1 watt) 'lightbulb moment' to cheer me up.

...Let the Hydra perish! (How many blinkin' heads has this thing got?)

Andy