Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Inconceivable!", a Welsford Navigator

Default Re: "Inconceivable!", a Welsford Navigator

Spent some time making the rudder and rudder head for Inconceivable this week. I found a nice wide chunk of really tight western red cedar to make the whole thing out of. It all came out of the same board.

I have this set of old planes that came from Steve's dad. I never could get them to work very well, but lately I've been watching this youtube channel called Wood By Wright. Its a great channel thats 99% hand tools. He has lots of great info on how to clean up and tune up old hand tools. So I got these old tools tuned up and put them to use carving some shape into the rudder. It was very enjoyable. Theres a Stanley #2 and a #60.5. The 60.5 came from my grandfather. I found it when cleaning out his shop after my grandmother passed away this spring. Pop passed away 15 years ago. I'm so happy to be putting these tools to use.

I made a really lovely mess on the floor.

Also, Steve has been continuing his excellent work fairing the plank edges. Inconceivable is cleaning up really nicely.

Lastly, a buddy of mine upgraded his table saw, and gifted me his old one. Its an old Craftsman with a nice heavy cast iron top, plus two extensions. So Ill clean that up and tune it up over the next few weeks.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I'm enjoying following your thread. Hand tools setup proplerly and sharp are a joy to use. I find that it is quicker to grab hand tool when doing a one time job than it is to setup and use a power tool.

That's a beautiful piece of cedar Ben. Gonna finish it bright?

Yes. The hull is pretty beat up from being out in the weather, so the rudder and a few other things will be the only bright finishes on it.

Ben Sebens, RN

great idea Ben !
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Agreed. She's going to be a great looking boat. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    Looks pretty cool. My own isnít terribly much further along, having stalled for the last couple of years.
    Hi Suzy, you've been much missed here. Hope all is well with you and yours.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I've been distracted from my projects by Life, The Universe, and Everything. However, Steve has been working away on hull, and has made great progress! All the plank edges are faired, and the laps have been filleted. It is noticeably stiffer now. Final fairing is proceeding, and we are preparing for a layer of 6oz fiberglass to cover the bottom and garboard, per the plans. Fiberglass Supply, in Burlington, Washington, was a great resource for materials.

Our intention is to complete the fairing, glassing, painting, and apply the skeg and outer stem, before flipping back over.

Onward and forward!

Ben Sebens, RN

Love the project, look forward to looking at a few more pictures, glad it's stiffened up with the laps being filleted now.
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Fiberglass is down. Looking good. Starting to think about paint. Haven’t chosen a color yet.

76C2CD80-F79B-45BB-BBFA-10C8E68F9E07.jpg

Look at that garboard twist!

1D7891C4-3E81-405E-8E15-0904C550D38F.jpg

Ben Sebens, RN

And we have graphite! Graphite mixed with epoxy on top of the fiberglass should provide a bottom that will stand up to repeated beachings on our often rocky PNW beaches. And, any trailering mishaps. As it won't stay in the water for more than several days at a time, ever, no bottom paint will be needed. Steve is doing a great job!!

49211243_2010008352425637_2708013520494002176_n.jpg

Ben Sebens, RN

Nice! I've put graphite on the bottoms of both my boats. It's better than not doing it. My bilge runners/skids got a little bunged up after several launches at Camano Island State Park, so I'm thinking about adding a layer of 3M 5200 black. Once cured (long week), it should be bulletproof. I'm digging this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post these. A Navigator is on my Top 10 Next Boats to Build list.

Looking good, you've made me feel lazy these last couple of weeks...
    I like old stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSkully View Post
    Nice! I've put graphite on the bottoms of both my boats. It's better than not doing it. My bilge runners/skids got a little bunged up after several launches at Camano Island State Park, so I'm thinking about adding a layer of 3M 5200 black. Once cured (long week), it should be bulletproof. I'm digging this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post these. A Navigator is on my Top 10 Next Boats to Build list.
    Thanks! I'm becoming really impressed with the Navigator as I learn more about it. Should be a great PNW boat.

Quote Originally Posted by RainierHooker View Post
    Looking good, you've made me feel lazy these last couple of weeks...
    Lazy? This project has nothing on that fine little pram and the dashboard you put together for Duffy. Keep up the good work.

Ben Sebens, RN

Hi Ben,

Nice score on the Navigator. I'm considering building one in the near future, as soon as I finish my shop. I'll definitely keep on eye on this thread, thanks for posting. Also, I've moved up to the Birch Bay area so we're practically neighbors.

Travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    Hi Ben,

Nice score on the Navigator. I'm considering building one in the near future, as soon as I finish my shop. I'll definitely keep on eye on this thread, thanks for posting. Also, I've moved up to the Birch Bay area so we're practically neighbors.

Travis.
    We should get together for a Mutual Admiration Society meeting! I'm on Camano Island. While a Navigator is on my short list, I'm also looking at some Vivier designs and a couple of catboats.

A meet up must happen! Maybe we can convince Chris to host an elbow bending session aboard Skookum Maru. Otherwise, I've got a shop! Sometime this spring perhaps.
    Last edited by BBSebens; 01-01-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    A meet up must happen! Maybe we can convince Chris to host an elbow bending session about Skookum Maru. Otherwise, I've got a shop! Sometime this spring perhaps.
    I'll be back in the PNW by late May. Consider me RSVP'd...

A meet up sounds good. Spring works for me.
    Travis.

So the time has come to start applying some paint before flipping it back over to fit out the interior. The goal here is protection rather than perfection, so a high-gloss two-pack paint is out of the question. We are thinking something along the lines of Rustoleum Marine or maybe Kirby's or Marshall's Cove, Marshall's Cove having the benefit of being made regionally, which is neat.

But a general color scheme is needed. There will be a rub rail of sorts along the lower lap of the sheer strake, as well as a toe rail/gunwale. So, a hull color plus a contrasting sheer strake. This also seems to be a common theme among other Navigators.

With Rustoleum's limited color palette, I had thought of doing a red hull with a battleship grey sheer strake. Rather different, will look good with the black graphite. Looking at the others much broader color palette's, I starting day dreaming of going with a Schooner Martha livery, with a creamish colored hull and Martha Green for the sheer strake. Marshall's Cove makes the color Martha Green, having been a custom color that came to be popular.

Martha1.jpg

I'm soliciting opinions. I'd prefer something unique, or at least something uncommon.

Ben Sebens, RN

Ben, I use Marshalls Cove on Emily Ruth and I like it just fine. The trouble is that the colors I like aren't always available locally. Be sure of the supply whatever paint you choose.

Jeff

My graphite bottom is barely visible once construction was done, so don't worry about that with the color scheme. I love the cream/green look and have a couple of quarts already on the shelf for my next build, whatever that is. It's a classically styled boat and deserves a classic color scheme. This isn't NASCAR. I painted my hulls Fire Red to go with the graphite bottom and it really just clashed with the bright mahogany gunwales. I may actually repaint next summer.

nice boat. congratulation!!. I started to build my own welsford pathfinder when my first boy was 8 month old. was finished when he was 10 years!! so take some time.
    so just advide to paint epoxi all interior surface specially some difficult to reach after you build. and also fiberglass the whole hull outside too. my centerboard was made with plywood and some steel plates included inside the glue the get weight and works just fine. my centerboard pivot hole always is a place with some water issue so take care.
    so hope to see yours finished soon and enjoy.

Cream and green - that's the reverse of my Navigator.

Ramp shot.jpg

And don't forget the Welsford squiggle at the fore and aft of the sheer plank!

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Score!

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    Cream and green - that's the reverse of my Navigator.

Ramp shot.jpg

And don't forget the Welsford squiggle at the fore and aft of the sheer plank!

Kenny

Oh my, a pair of balanced Lug navigators in opposite color schemes. Hilarious

Ben Sebens, RN

When I was at a similar point with Elena, my hubby rather helpfully voted for air-sea rescue orange, on the basis that the overturned hull would then be so much easier to spot 100 nm off Shark Bay.

so I painted it light blue.

I got my centerboard blank glued up last weekend, and tonight I started carving on it. Its two chunks of 4/4 Port Orford Cedar with a core of 1/2" okume plywood, to make up the called for thickness. I used those materials because that's what I had in my shop. Glued up with West Systems epoxy.

The blank

IMG_7177.jpg

Im going to reinforce it with some 20ga 316 stainless, mostly because I have a buddy who works for a local shop that builds agricultural equipment, and this particular oval piece is a blank that gets cut out for weight savings. And its just the right size.

IMG_7178.jpg

I cut out a template of the intended foil section.

IMG_7179.jpg

Now, I'd love to say I spent a bunch of wonderful time with hand tools doing all the shaping, but lets face it, I have small children and shop time can be hard to come by. So, the power planer did half of the work in only a few minutes. The rest I did with a draw knife, and various hand planes. I managed to get one side roughly shaped tonight.

IMG_7183.jpg

Oh, and if you're the kind of person who wears a fitness tracker, my FitBit Versa counted the plane strokes as steps. Nice!

IMG_7184.jpg
    Last edited by BBSebens; 01-16-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    When I was at a similar point with Elena, my hubby rather helpfully voted for air-sea rescue orange, on the basis that the overturned hull would then be so much easier to spot 100 nm off Shark Bay.

so I painted it light blue.
    I've seen suggestions that a suitable message be painted on the boats bottom. Something along the lines of "Oh s*&t" or "Oops" .

Hows the new abode Suzy?

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Progress continues on Inconceivable. I've got the centerboard mostly shaped, and will be affixing lead in the near future. Steve is making excellent progress on the hull, with the skeg being fitted. Next step is paint! We did settle on a Schooner Martha livery, so it'll be Marshall's Cove Martha Green for the sheer strake and accents, and Rustoleum Marine Cream for the body color, which we happened to have left over from another project. Then, time to flip it back over!

One question for the masses about the centerboard. The plans called for a laminated board, then fiberglassed. I didn't do this because of materials I had on hand. My board is two pieces of dimensional lumber, Port Orford Cedar, with a 1/2" marine ply wood core, all well epoxied together. I think I will inlay a strip of metal along the leading edge, due to the prevalence of floating logs and debris in the Salish Sea. Is there any point in fiberglassing the board? I worry about the movement of the cedar ruining the fiberglass and making it bind up in the case, or other undesired outcomes.

Ben Sebens, RN

The centerboard is ready for Lead, and then a layer of 6oz glass with a strip of Kevlar laid along the leading edge. Mostly because a friend is giving me some.

Steve continues to make excellent headway on the hull. Paint is going on and its looks fantastic. Bronze rub rail was sourced to go on the oak skeg. Looking forward to flipping it back over and getting the interior started.

Still aiming for a summer launch, hoping to make its debut at the annual Pocket Yacht Palooza in Port Townsend on July 20. More info HERE!

Ben Sebens, RN

Paint is done!

Steve has finished the fairing and paint, so we turned Inconceivable back upright.

NavigatorPaint.jpg

The paint scheme is black graphite and epoxy on the bottom panel and garboard strake, rustoleum off-white on the body, and Martha Green from Marshall's Cove on the sheer strake. A rub rail will be added along the top and bottom edge of the sheer strake.

NavigatoronSide.jpg

Here we are mid-flip. At this moment, most of the weight of the boat is resting on the side of the boat. No deflection or damage, a tribute to the excellent engineering of John Welsford. Myself on the left, Steve in the middle, and my friend Phil on the right. Phil is new to sailing, and I look forward to taking him and his family out this summer.

NavigatorSkeg.jpg

sideways pic is annoying. We made up the skep of white oak, and applied some bronze rub rail to absorb most of the abuse of trailering and beaching.

Now work on the interior begins in earnest. Lots to do, but still aiming for a launch in time for the Pocket Yacht Palooza.

Ben Sebens, RN

Moving along--looks like you'll soon have a great boat ready to go.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Very Cool! It's fun that you're getting a friend involved, too. Is that a little mini-kayak on the shelf above Inconceovable in the middle pic? A tender?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Is that a little mini-kayak on the shelf above Inconceovable in the middle pic? A tender?

Ha! It hardly needs a tender, in fact several choices were made specifically because I intend to run it up on rough beaches.

Its a 10' Harry Bryan Fiddlehead double paddle canoe. That was the project that was underway when we picked up the Navigator.

Ben Sebens, RN