Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabl Titmouse Restoration

Default Re: Rabl Titmouse Restoration

Thanks for the thread. I have nothing to add, except that she's a pretty boat I bet she will be a lot of fun on the water.
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    Mentor!
    Or Sensai!
    Arcarius?

Just picked up on your thread. Liking it! I do agree with the notion of staying with Rabl's original construction and not glassing the entire thing.

Thanks!
    Just to clarify I had no intention of glassing the inside of the boat, but rather sealing it as best as possible. The outside of the hull was already sheathed (redone in 86-ish with epoxy and either glass or xynole) and was originally glassed by the original owner.

Regarding System three's S-1 sealer. System three has gotten back to me and S-1 sealer is definitely their own product.

All good ideas, Thanks!
    The work on the garage space progresses well and I'm back sanding the boat in it's current location tomorrow morn, I'm NOT looking forward to sanding under the fore deck!
    A couple of further questions:

-Should I really CPES the Entire interior?, up the sides, for the most part, the original paint seems to be adhering well (it resists being sanded off more)..just lazy I guess, the sanding is going well, maybe 1/3 done if I count the detail work in corners and crevices after the bulk sanding is done.

-Eventually I'm going to add side benches, i was thinking probably up to the next frame,. I was trying to decide upon the simplest, prettiest and best functioning way to do this, extending the side 2 or three boards of the back bench up to the next frame with a support carefully bolted to that frame, maybe a little bulkhead?

I think side benches area must, in a small boat like this I don't see myself sitting at the back the whole time, you need to get around the tiller and balance the boat fore and aft when single handing.

-I have to replace a few of the hanging knees supporting the side decks. the originals are plywood and a few are delaminating. One quite badly, Is there any reason I can't make this out of solid wood rather than ply?

I received some pictures from the owner that had her restored in the 80s and kept her till 4 years ago(nicely..in a garage) Here's how the interior looked before her winter of neglect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

If the boat were WRC or AYC,I'd say just CPES to the waterline more or less.
    But because it is POC, I'd CPES all the bare wood on the inside.

Now you have me wondering if it is Port Orford Cedar... I meant to bring a piece of arrow with me to the boat to compare 100% sure..next time
    It does smell nice
    The thing that makes me wonder is that for the most part the interior paint adheres to the cedar like crazy especially up the sides, except where it was really wet (full of water) and in some corners. It actually doesn't adhere quite as well to the hardwood frames (teak?)
    Interestingly the last frame before the centerboard case ends, heading towards the bow would seem to fir or something else, definitely not teak or mahogany like the rest.

Regardless of all this speculation lots more wooded out. Working in the bow is a glorious pain in the @$$! I need a space suit!
    pictures of the bow, stern and transom (which I would like to remove the seat support from to clean it up more as it's really pretty...fastened with nasty slot head screws!

Lats picture is of the underside of the fore deck where the paint was hanging in strips. The paint underneath looks to have not been prepped prior to paint.

In the photos, it LOOKS like AYC.
    POC is a whiter color, especially when wet.
    It was built up there? AYC is more common than POC.
    Their smell is distinctive, but different.

Yeah I took a bit of arrow over to the boat and it's not as aromatic, just has a nice freshly sanded, slightly damp pretty wood smell, distinctive in itself, but not as heavenly as the POC.

So how much CPES would it take to properly coat the interior, 2-4 coats?
    Anyone have an idea of what that would translate into litres?

And has anyone used the cold weather CPES??
    is it just plain bad to do any sort of epoxying in winter? or just slower cure times?

The lady at the local supplier said maybe two litres as I was quoting her a guesstimate of 72 square feet for the interior.
    However she said they are completely out and deciding whether to order anymore this week
    So maybe mid november or FEBRUARY!!

Also for the mahogany bright work and spruce mast

Any point in epoxy under varnish? I have a fresh litre of epiphanes kicking around. as well as a litre of cetol marine clear and normal cetol marine

CPES is really about how much of it goes IN. If it is laying on top of he wood, its job is finished and it's time to move onto paint.
    Epoxy under varnish is a technique that tends to backfire over time. Epoxy changes the color of the wood differently than varnish, so any scratches/chafe spots/dings can never be blended in .
    I'm a cetol guy.

Yeah from what I've read , heard etc. cetol is way easier to maintain, just add more cetol!
    And they make it in a clear now if one wants to avoid the orangey deal.
    My friend uses it on the bit of brightwork on his canoe yawl pilgrims wake and it seems to do the trick for him and looks nice too

No progress on the boat in this rain, also I had a show last night and didn't want to wreck my hands sanding the week prior, but I did get it's new winter home cleaned out and organized so I can move it there this upcoming week.

i have a couple questions about my necxt steps. First plan is to get he hull done, inside and out.
    so:

1. the repairs to the cracked board should I CPES the inside prior to cutting a kerf in the crack , or repair that and then CPES the inside, or does it matter?
    For the cupped board I might see what if further drying out helps that before I cut through the outer sheathing to fix it (seems like doing it from the outside is the only way)

2 the other question for now is, I'm still contemplating wooding out the entire hull though it seems I was mistaken about the POC and it's likely AYC.
    It's a pain but then i know the whole thing is sealed well. Still deciding.
    For the interior if i was to leave it bright would I just put a couple coats of clear west epoxy over the CPES
    Or is it a future pain to finish it bright? IS paint a lot easier in the long run? Though the boards are stained and old, the wood still looks lovely.
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 11-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Keep in mind that if finished clear, epoxy needs to be protected from uv rays. So several coats of appropriate varnish will be needed, too.
    -Dave

Well the boat is moved to her new dry garage location, Not heated but dry and a lot closer to me.
    Scraping the remaining paint out of the impossible to reach corners etc.

A question if I may:

Over top of epoxy..and some prepped existing paint ( up above the waterline) what's a good sturdy interior boat paint to use?

I've decided to paint the interior white and let the wood floorboards, benches,combings and cabin sides be the wood element to the interior.

I'd paint it with Interlux 404/414. It's an epoxy paint/coating that one might consider overkill, but it's great stuff.
    You can leave it alone, or paint something over it later.
    It is white, but not shiny. It is hard, but does not chalk up, like a one part undercoater.
    I paint my decks with it. I do not coat them with an "enamel"
    Once you have an epoxy /wood boat, an advantage is that modern coatings are "correct",as opposed to a less durable conventional paint.Where as putting an epoxy coating on a carvel boat may not always be kosher. that make sense ?

Cool, thanks. Looks like good stuff
    I have the hull interior wooded out to 3-6 inches above the waterline everywhere, as I said I'm just getting into the cracks and corners now.
    The original paint seems to be adhering really well on the sides.

To use the Interlux 404/414 do I need to wood out the entire interior?

Okay read the info, so not over existing paint. I was going to CPES the wood
    Were you imagining the Interlux primekote over the CPES?
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 11-09-2018 at 12:22 AM.

The 404/414 can go over existing paint...insofar as it can work...it will not "lift" an old paint . So..one can use it like that.But complete stripping and priming with CPES , then 404/414 is BEST ,imo.
    Then there is "real world"...the paint on the above wl inside planking seems perfect. Then you can let it go!
    There ARE a hundred ways to do it right!

Hmm ,thinking about it, local temperatures are starting to drop below 10 degrees which is the bottom limit for using the 404/414 or at least according to the spec sheet. I'm getting some cold weather CPES so I can use that down to -2 and it will be a while till temperatures start to head up again. So I have plenty of time to wood it out. It's the enclosed bow section in particular and anywhere I have to lie down and work over my head (under the decks) that I'm REALLY NOT looking forward to doing.

In her new home for the winter and spring. Tarp is just in case resident critters drop bombs from above, probably not necessary.
    Floorboards floors etc stored in wall behind boat, mast lashed to the rafters, cabin roof underneath.

And a laugh. My tests towing with my relatively new to me 2005 smart car cdi fortwo diesel. Just tried it up and down the alley and around the block till I get the lights wired in and the hole cut in the back panel but the car seemed to tow really well and braked fine at 50km. Once I get the lights wired I will try it on a slightly longer jaunt with some backroad inclines to simulate boat launch ramps.
    Annoyingly the local supplier of CPES is out of stock and supposedly the supplier in California is out of stock. Earliest time to maybe procure some is mid December.

More laughs..actually the indomitable little diesel pulls the titmouse quite well, up hills and everything. Stops too!

Nice. And if the boat were just a little bit bigger, you could take the car along on a cruise.
    -Dave

Nice boat, she has been well loved for most of her life. Does she have a name?

Rabl mentions that there were two Titmouse designs, with the Second Edition (1958) Titmouse being quite a bit different than the First Edition (1947). Sounds like maybe he added the hinged cabin top with curtain and a hinged mast, and outfit with a galley, small WC and some oars. Also options to add a forward cabin bulkhead for secure storage or build a daysailer version without a cabin.

The car you used is not much smaller than the car in Rabl's illustration (p 152)!

Good luck with the resto. Other good resources for questions about compatibility of finish materials is the Jamestown Distributors Tech Team, and each paint manufacturer (Kirby, Interlux, Pettit, TotalBoat, etc...) has Tech help contact info on their websites.

FMI: Rabl, S. S. 2013. Boatbuilding in your own backyard. [Brattleboro, Vt.]: Echo Point Books & Media.

My boat is from the second edition which I bought recently. There's talk of a galley box ala the Picaroon, no talk of a WC that I remember, but talk of a bulkhead AND A daysailer version. He doesn't show any pictures or plans for bulkheads in the plans in the book. The last owner neglected the boat some resulting in the repairs and restoration I'll be doing. The owner prior to that took very good care of it for many years and sunk a bunch of money into in the mid 80s.

He tells a story of hiring a surveyor when he bought the boat. The surveyor said it was in great condition so he bought it. Then he went sailing and it leaked like a sieve. He took it to some boat restorers in Seattle (Indigo boats?) and as they said the original fibreglass sheathing was coming off in 6' strips they redid the bottom.

We have the Second Edition. The bulkhead is described as being under the forward end of the cabin top, provides extra support and can be enclosed to make a secure locker space for gear, at the expense of legroom.

Rabl also descibes the V shaped tent that could be attached to the tilted cabin top, providing some headroom in the aft cabin and protection from rainy weather. I have recently come across pictures of several canvas tent walls on pop top UK boats, a great idea. Our Catalina 22 had a pop top but I didn't know at the time of any arrangements to enclose it with canvas.

k

IN my 2nd edition. which I have in my lap right now it describes the bulkhead at after end of the cabin where it stiffened the cabin combing where it needs it the most. The cabin top is designed to be pop-top with a piano hinge at the forward edge of the roof and canvass triangle on the sides which allow the top to be raised yet still sealed. A cool idea.

As far as the bulkhead goes hid description is a little vague. Also the center board trunk extends to the after end of the cabin.

Ah, see I went from incorrect memory, but I knew you could find it! Now go look for the W.C. reference

I think it is good to not heat the storage, avoid drying things out too much. And I like keeping the basic finish scheme, painted hull with bright seats and a few other bits. The mast construction was interesting, boxed with spacers, plywood on two sides. Is yours like that?

Still no name?

Cheers
    Kent
    PS We are thinking of building the MIDGE from Rabl's book.

I got the boat in late September and I'm waiting for the right name to arrive. I think Titmouse in itself is a cute name but it would seem funny to name it what it is..or maybe not. When I though it was Port Orford cedar I was contemplating naming it Flu Flu which is a type of fluffy white birding arrow and also the name of our fluffy white cat. However it's probably Alaskan yellow cedar. No name as of yet. My mast is definitely boxed . To me it also looks like solid wood as there is no plywood edge grain visible and I'm reasonably wood savvy. ( I make traditional bows and work on my own guitars)
    Cool dinghy!