Thread: Drill Press RPM setting question

Default Drill Press RPM setting question

I bought an inexpensive drill press from Harbor Freight. It has twelve speeds. The RPM's are set by adjusting the two belts over the three pulleys. The ranges are from 300 RPMs to 2900 RPMs.

What RPM setting should I set for general wood working using twist bits and do I need to adjust the speed for spade bits?

The setting the drill was ship with is 470 RPM's .

here is the manual https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...3999/63471.pdf
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: Drill Press RPM setting question

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Somewhere in the middle.
    Spade bits bend easily and should be run at a lower RPM,to prevent them from whipping around caused by the imbalance.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

For general wood work, start with the 470 rpm and see if it suits the job. If a spade bit is tearing the wood then increase the speed. If the spade bit is off center in its rotation, try bringing the lead point into the work before starting the drill. This well help stabilize the bit. Twist drills will need slower speeds. But, it all depends on the hardness of the wood. If a twist drill clogs with dust, stop the work and clean out the ipacted material or there is a chance of overheating the drill bit. So, drill some trial holes and the results will tell you what you need. In general when drilling metal, the larger the hole, the slower the speed. Remember that hand held drill motors turn at slower speeds than your press is capable of so that is a good indicator of how fast your drill press should run. There are tables for all of this but a developed instinct is a better guide.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-03-2018 at 01:55 PM.

300 rpm will prove too fast for some things, like holes saws, or metal work. For wood it will be fine.
    The key to "speeds" is learning "surface feet per minute" of SFM.

IMG_4279.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Handy chart! I don't know if I'd want to put a six inch grinding wheel running at 3,000 RPM in a drill press, though! If the side pressure loosened the Morse taper on the chuck and it dropped, things could get really exciting really fast.