Thread: Jensen Motorboat

Default Jensen Motorboat

This from Brad Rice, a boatwright:

Sad news today, Jensen's has been sold to become a restaurant! Seattle's working water front, going, going, gone! Go check out Jensen's to see a historic working boat yard since 1927, before it gets run over!

Default Re: Jensen Motorboat

Wow, I had the pleasure of knowing Anchor Jensen and have always considered that boatshop on Portage Bay a great piece of Seattle’s maritime history. Sorry to see it being closed down. I got to see the attic in that great old wooden building where Anchor built So-Mo in secret , a hydrofoil of great fame.

Cheers to you Anchor and your campaign against the U of W who wanted to take over your shop and home. His wish was made into a popular sticker that said it all, “Save Portage Bay As Is”.

If we only could.

Dan
    Last edited by Otter99; 10-03-2018 at 12:11 AM.

I am also sorry to hear of this. Many years ago, I happened to be on Lopez Island, at Jensen's Marina, at the time a float plane landed there bearing Anchor's final remains. Since that time, I have wondered how long the Lake Union shop would continue to exist. Anchor Jensen donated waterfront land to the University of Washington where the fisheries department now is, but they always wanted more. I figured that eventually this too would be engulfed by the "youdub". I have fond childhood memories of riding my bicycle past Jensen's and Pocock's shops. I always stopped to gawk.

Please post additional replies in other thread in Building. Thanks.

That is heartbreaking news. I published a history of Jensen some years ago in Classic Yacht Online, now itself defunct (I think). At the time things were tense but the yard was hanging tough.

This is a loss that the community will not be able to make up.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Please post additional replies in other thread in Building. Thanks.
    Where is the other thread?

Never mind, I found it.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...rboat-To-Close